Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:08 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
I like both urban AND rural environemnts. However if i really wanted the full wilderness experience, then i'd drive 2 hour east into the mountains. If i wanted to appeciate our coast without development, i'd drive to Big Sur.

It's just that i see Camp Pendleton as huge potential to create a modern public space worth visiting. Not exactly a tourist spot or landmark but something that gives the land a reason to visit and makes it different than your normal typical coastal suburb.

This is an example, not my proposal, but imagine a European like plaza and village with NO cars, a society based on walking friendly neighborhoods along the beach, and if you wanted to hike, you can walk there instead of hopping on the freeway or surface streets.
Well, what you describe above is very dfferent than your original post where you stated you hate to see undeveloped land.

But now we are invited to a different vision. Hmmm. Okay. So, would the Marines be able to practice invading the plaza and village from a beach landing in their hovercraft? Maybe lay down some Navy offshore artillery fire to soften the place up a bit first? I could go for that I think. Fun times! Being a civilian in the middle of the dustup could be kinda like a theme park adventure maybe. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 02:18 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
I've seen proposals that the land where Camp Pendleton is located might eventually become a state park. This has precedence. Fort Ord became, in part, a state park as well as a national monument. Part of the former Fort McClellan in Alabama, where I spent a not-very-pleasant winter once, is now a 9000 acre national wildlife refuge. The Cleveland National Forest butts up against the reservation - it could certainly be expanded to incorporate some of the territory.

Part of it would (will) probably be developed. It will be some very valuable land.

Here's one study of the possibilities:
http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/images/co..._Pendleton.pdf

Quote:
I guess i'm the only who doesn't like looking at rural, undeveloped land :-(
Yeah, most of us tend to find mountains and canyons more scenic than strip malls and convenience stores. We're weird that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You might as well forget about it since the Department of Defense will never give up that land.
The DoD regularly gives up land it deems unnecessary. That's why Fort Ord is gone. And Fort McClellan. And many, many others. It's the local politicians who don't want to lose local expenditures that fight tooth and nail against the DoD when the latter recommends shutting down a base it deems unnecessary.

Here's a study concerning building a major public airport on Camp Pendleton land.
Study Touts Benefits Of International Airport At Camp Pendleton | KPBS

Old 03-22-2016, 06:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
nah

make OC and SD taller and expand transit

Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Just one of those thoughts that pops in my mind when i drive that stretch of the 5 freeway. And don't act like you never wondered yourself! From google maps it looks very hill and desirable land to live. Also the coastal area can untouched to preserve it's public use and beaches.
What would be the purpose of this, to make developers tons of money? I find the idea to be despicable.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
I like both urban AND rural environemnts. However if i really wanted the full wilderness experience, then i'd drive 2 hour east into the mountains. If i wanted to appeciate our coast without development, i'd drive to Big Sur.

It's just that i see Camp Pendleton as huge potential to create a modern public space worth visiting. Not exactly a tourist spot or landmark but something that gives the land a reason to visit and makes it different than your normal typical coastal suburb.

This is an example, not my proposal, but imagine a European like plaza and village with NO cars, a society based on walking friendly neighborhoods along the beach, and if you wanted to hike, you can walk there instead of hopping on the freeway or surface streets.
In effect a National Park developed for visiting, but no one other than maybe employees living there. A big Disneyland as it were, or maybe Knott's Berry Farm would be a better example. With short term rental units so a person could enjoy it for a short while, as though living there. If they started selling homes it would become a sprawl like OC and other areas that used to be less crowded did.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:

You do realize it's been a bombing range for about as long as SD has existed? How do you propose to clear all of that ordinance?

Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Close Camp Pendleton an turn it over to commercial developers? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

In addition to the over-development of the California coastal plain, as others have already erudiated, our Marines need the real estate to hone their skills in amphibious assault/landing warfare.

Reminds me of people who move under the approach or departure flight path of an airport that has been there for over eighty years, then complain about the noise and seek to close the airport.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I've seen proposals that the land where Camp Pendleton is located might eventually become a state park. This has precedence. Fort Ord became, in part, a state park as well as a national monument. Part of the former Fort McClellan in Alabama, where I spent a not-very-pleasant winter once, is now a 9000 acre national wildlife refuge. The Cleveland National Forest butts up against the reservation - it could certainly be expanded to incorporate some of the territory.

Part of it would (will) probably be developed. It will be some very valuable land.

Here's one study of the possibilities:
http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/images/co..._Pendleton.pdf

Yeah, most of us tend to find mountains and canyons more scenic than strip malls and convenience stores. We're weird that way.

The DoD regularly gives up land it deems unnecessary. That's why Fort Ord is gone. And Fort McClellan. And many, many others. It's the local politicians who don't want to lose local expenditures that fight tooth and nail against the DoD when the latter recommends shutting down a base it deems unnecessary.

Here's a study concerning building a major public airport on Camp Pendleton land.
Study Touts Benefits Of International Airport At Camp Pendleton | KPBS
Building a civil airport on Camp Pendleton could be a possibility - given that Lindbergh Field can't be expanded and has strict abatements on aircraft approach and landings. Of course there will be a big fight from folks in Carlsbad on that...

But I'd go for turning it into a state park if that is in the wings.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
nah

make OC and SD taller and expand transit
Nah,making it taller, just adds more people to the same area and increases crowding and traffic and ... there is minimal room to really add mass transit. Leave it as it is and visit or make enough money to rent or buy. If you can't, too bad but that is life. Why make it worse so a few more people can live there?

Old 03-25-2016, 12:15 PM

162 posts, read 212,929 times
Never in a million years!!!!!! I love the Camp Pendleton area! The beaches are fabulous and one of the only beaches you can still drink alcohol on The area is so nice though, I find it really doubtful the military would ever let this land go. I mean they just built a brand new hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California