Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 10:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The minimum wage is going from $10 to $10.50 an hour in 2017 not to $15. It won't reach $15 an hour until 2022, and it won't impact small employers until a year after that. And you're right I don't listen to vague statements such as "I might have to lay people off" because they are meaningless. As I already said, the price of beef rose 38% in 4 years (2010-2014) and increased another 19% in 2015. Food cost is a higher portion of the cost of doing business than labor, so where are all the shuttered steak houses and hamburger shops?
Actually $15 by 2020.

L.A. County supervisors agree to boost minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020 - LA Times

Small business owner statements are meaningless??

Yes food cost is going up..but an increase of food costs is another reason a big increase in labor will hurt businesses.

Also at least in L.A businesses including steakhouses and burger shops close all the time.

I'm just speaking from experience living in the city (L.A) where business owners are affected by these laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 10:33 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Actually $15 by 2020.
L.A. County supervisors agree to boost minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020 - LA Times
Small business owner statements are meaningless??
Yes food cost is going up..but an increase of food costs is another reason a big increase in labor will hurt businesses.
Also at least in L.A businesses including steakhouses and burger shops close all the time.
I'm just speaking from experience living in the city (L.A) where business owners are affected by these laws.
Actually we have been talking about the STATE of California, not Los Angeles. And you are correct, vague statements by business owners about how horrible the impact of this 'might' be does not impress me. We heard it all when Seattle raised the minimum wage and guess what, the sky has not fallen.

I gave the example of rising food prices to try to offer you a real world example of how a significant increase in one of the biggest costs to food service did not cause massive closings of restaurants and neither will an increase in the minimum wage.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:02 AM

With Seattle it's too early to tell .
Article you linked said
"local economists tracking the impacts say it’s too early to make conclusions about how the city’s minimum-wage “experiment” is going,"

Also oops ... Seattle has been experiencing the world job losses since the Great Recession since this little experiment began

Blog: Hey, Seattle! How's that $15 minimum wage working out for ya?

Tell us again about how these massive wage hikes have no negative effect ?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:47 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Brown signing the law today guarantees unemployment for teenagers.

Whats the old lady in the picture above got to do with trolling?

Edit: now 10:05 Pacific. I just saw on TV 100 year old Brown and a whole bunch of idiot Democrats grinning and clapping like seals as Brown signed.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 04-04-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Gov. Jerry Brown Signs $15 Minimum Wage Law | KTLA

2022 - The year small business died in CA

Old 04-04-2016, 05:20 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
Gov. Jerry Brown Signs $15 Minimum Wage Law | KTLA
2022 - The year small business died in CA
It's 2023 for small businesses and 2022 for larger ones. Many won't leave; many businesses support the wage increase:

Business For a Fair Minimum Wage

Going from $10/hr to $15/hr is the same as a 6% pay increase every year. It's not that severe and most businesses -- at least the ones that aren't on the verge of folding up even if wages were not raised -- will adapt and survive. Some will even become more profitable and grow.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's 2023 for small businesses and 2022 for larger ones. Many won't leave; many businesses support the wage increase:

Business For a Fair Minimum Wage

Going from $10/hr to $15/hr is the same as a 6% pay increase every year. It's not that severe and most businesses -- at least the ones that aren't on the verge of folding up even if wages were not raised -- will adapt and survive. Some will even become more profitable and grow.
I say if businesses support a higher minimum wage , they are free to pay their employees as much as they chose.
I saw Ben and Jerry's are on the list. Are they paying $15 hr to their store employees yet?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
I say if businesses support a higher minimum wage , they are free to pay their employees as much as they chose.
No. They really aren't. Unless their competition all agree to the same pay scale. Otherwise they would be putting themselves out of business. This is, in effect, what a number of countries without mandated minimum wage in Europe do in negotiation with national unions. For much higher minimums than are paid in the US. Businesses there accept, in conjunction with the unions, that the ultimate health of their businesses rests on more than their short term profits - and includes the economic health of the entire market membership: that is the consumers. Unless consumers make a living wage, the market is constrained in purchasing power.

If you would like to understand this you can google union wage agreements Denmark, for example.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:02 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
I saw Ben and Jerry's are on the list. Are they paying $15 hr to their store employees yet?
"Every year, we recalculate the livable wage to make sure it’s keeping up with the actual cost of living in Vermont. In recent years, Ben & Jerry’s livable wage has been nearly twice the national minimum wage, landing at $16.92 in 2015."

In the 250 Ben & Jerry’s “scoop shops,” where 75% of employees are 16 to 22 years of age, some franchise owners have adopted a living wage and others have not. We’re encouraging innovations that will make this transition easier. The Washington, DC area shops have been especially creative in finding ways to increase the value of jobs for young people, while strengthening the business. The franchisee offers transportation and food allowances, as well as meaningful, paid experiences outside the shops, like working in low-income community gardens.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 04-04-2016 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Politicians propose an increase in minimum wage.

Conservatives afraid their social status will be compromised as a result, bellyache about job-killing politicians.

Minimum wage increase.

Job growth and increased productivity ensue. study

Twas ever thus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California