Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:32 PM

1,099 posts, read 900,846 times

Advertisements

LOL, yes because the minimum wage debate hasn't been going on for any longer than 2013-2016

And then you sit there and cherry pick data with Zeyda and then try to discount any scenario where your theory doesn't quite work out (cute). Logic tells us that there are only a few logical conclusions to an increase in minimum wage: 1) Higher costs to be incurred by the customer (so a tax on the consumer), 2) Reduction in Corporate profit (which in turn could impact stock prices....a cost to stockholders), 3) Reduction of labor force to maintain same labor costs, 4) Cheapening of product (i.e. less product for same cost or cheaper material being used to create product) 5) Automation (this will be done anyway but higher labor costs will accelerate the process) and the one I'm sure you'll love 6) employees above the minimum wage level will have to accept less. And in the end, it really does very little for the person receiving the increase. But do continue to try to debate it.

I didn't mind putting in another response because it was just a copy and paste and there were thousands of hits when you did a query on why the minimum wage doesn't work (and you're certainly welcome to debate them)

As for the Milton Friedman comment. Let's see....Tulemutt, Milton Friedman, Tulemutt, Milton Friedman...uh, I think I'll go with Milton Friedman. But I suspect you think you'd win a debate with him (I'd give hefty odds that it wouldn't be close in a controlled debate).

Enjoy your boat

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 04-04-2016 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:46 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
LOL, yes because the minimum wage debate hasn't been going on for any longer than 2013-2016

And then you sit there and cherry pick data with Zeyda and then try to discount any scenario where your theory doesn't quite work out (cute). Logic tells us that there are only a few logical conclusions to an increase in minimum wage: 1) Higher costs to be incurred by the customer (so a tax on the consumer), 2) Reduction in Corporate profit (which in turn could impact stock prices....a cost to stockholders), 3) Reduction of labor force to maintain same labor costs, 4) Cheapening of product (i.e. less product for same cost or cheaper material being used to create product) 5) Automation (this will be done anyway but higher labor costs will accelerate the process) and the one I'm sure you'll love 6) employees above the minimum wage level will have to accept less. And in the end, it really does very little for the person receiving the increase. But do continue to try to debate it.

I didn't mind putting in another response because it was just a copy and paste and there were thousands of hits when you did a query on why the minimum wage doesn't work (and you're certainly welcome to debate them)

As for the Milton Friedman comment. Let's see....Tulemutt, Milton Friedman, Tulemutt, Milton Friedman...uh, I think I'll go with Milton Friedman. But I suspect you think you'd win a debate with him (I'd give hefty odds that it wouldn't be close in a controlled debate).

Enjoy your boat
Your protests and head slaps are weak, at best.

1. I said aged data was not irrelevant. Just pointed out that as such it loses some usefulness.

2. If you feel I "cherry-picked data" in any manner that was less than accurate and legitimate, feel free to identify points and dispute them.

3. "Logic" tells us exactly none of the things you listed above. None. Zero. Each of your points (several of which are redundant, btw - I imagine you were just trying to make a limited set of potential factors seem very large indeed!) have reasonable likelihood of playing into the adjustment scenarios. So what? None of those things disprove the points I made about [profitable] survivability of the businesses and substantial continuing levels of employment. None. Zip.

4. Price hikes aren't "a tax on consumers". They are simply price hikes, just like any other price hikes for any other reason such as increased cost of materials, general inflation, avarice opportunity. Meh.

5. "Cost to stockholders"? So? Why would you even mention this? Stock acquisition is a gamble in any definition. Nothing is owed the stockholders except best efforts to maintain and grow if possible. And stockholder profit isn't a bit more important to the health of society than decent living wages for citizens.

6. "Reduction in labor forces"? Yeah. Maybe some. Maybe not. Some places appear to have experienced some job losses. Other places have not.

7. "Cheapening of product?" Yeah. Perhaps the most likely of all scenarios. So? Caveat emptor. Nothing new here in the world. Are you arguing that it's actually possible for a Big Mac to become even less purposeful to human existence than it already is? Lmfao. Oh Noes!

8. "Acceleration of automation?" That's no function of minimum wage growth. That's coming as fast as it can be developed and sold anyway. Employers don't want employees. And never have. Why would they?

Milton Friedman vs Tulemutt? Never suggested it was a debate between me and Friedman. I could, however, point out to various relevant Friedman contradictions and his own regrets about several of his most notable submissions to the world of economics. That's a topic for another thread, however. Friedman doesn't fit this discussion. Except to name drop to associate yourself with a big name.

Bottom line, body, is everything I pointed out in the previous post about the total failure of your debate entries, was entirely true.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:48 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I think that flights to Moscow leave on the quarter hour. Don't be late.
Thats not communism by the OP, and Russia is not communist.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:10 AM

33,334 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
7. "Cheapening of product?" Yeah. Perhaps the most likely of all scenarios. So? Caveat emptor. Nothing new here in the world. Are you arguing that it's actually possible for a Big Mac to become even less purposeful to human existence than it already is? Lmfao. Oh Noes!
I have to admit, this one is hilarious. Out of all the examples you could have picked, you picked one of the best ones...the Big Mac.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:02 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
They should raise the minimum wage to $31 an hour in California by 2018 and raise the standard of living and guard against the high cost of housing/rent in big cities in state. I even think all major businesses can afford it by putting the cap on middle man and the salary of executives. They should rein in the cost of management and spend the money on employees. So whatever job you take or like should not be a burden to you. Forget $15 an hour and raise it to over $30 and everyone can afford it if they manage their businesses right. What do you think?
your right, but most people on this thread are too ignorant to support your idea because they are vastly influence by the mainstream corporate media, ignoring the fact that the last time we had (as a nation) a 90% tax rate Eisenhower was president ( a republican) and we were growing faster than ever.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 AM

33,334 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
your right, but most people on this thread are too ignorant to support your idea because they are vastly influence by the mainstream corporate media, ignoring the fact that the last time we had (as a nation) a 90% tax rate Eisenhower was president ( a republican) and we were growing faster than ever.
You are the one who is ignorant. Almost no one paid any portion of their income that 90% rate because of the massive deductions that were allowed. This has been discussed in other threads. Somehow I doubt you have a grasp of how our tax system works.....you don't even know the difference between your and you're.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post

4) Cheapening of product (i.e. less product for same cost or cheaper material being used to create product) 5)
Just look at the size of the food now and 10 years ago. They have shrunk and even many packaged items are holding less volume in the same package.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Just look at the size of the food now and 10 years ago. They have shrunk and even many packaged items are holding less volume in the same package.
This is true. Now look also at the body size of the consumers. Interesting, no?

Definitely a shame downsizing portions, eh?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This is true. Now look also at the body size of the consumers. Interesting, no?

Definitely a shame downsizing portions, eh?
It isn't working because the food today is even worse than a few years ago. Plus, like say Burger King, you can now get two burgers for $5.00 so people still eat more.

I also do NOT want to look at the bodies of people eating that junk. Whales belong in the ocean and under water most of the time.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:00 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It isn't working because the food today is even worse than a few years ago. Plus, like say Burger King, you can now get two burgers for $5.00 so people still eat more.

I also do NOT want to look at the bodies of people eating that junk. Whales belong in the ocean and under water most of the time.
I went to get a burrito at rubios last week and it looked like a taquito it was so tiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California