Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:40 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How will $15 min wage affect prices?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbc7uZdbcXE
OMG! An anonymous caller to CSPAN says we're doomed!

Yo, all you deep thinkers who keep posting opinion pieces from blogs written by chowderheads, the fact that your opinion inventory is a bottomless well doesn't prove a thing. There have been four threads going simultaneously on this topic. A handful of posters have contributed actual, factual evidence that the sky isn't falling as proven in markets around the globe that experience high minimum wages without having caused massive layoffs or businesses to crumble. This does not mean there won't be adverse effects from other dynamics unique to California. But it does mean that, unless you can identify such unknown co-morbid negative factors, your parroting of speculative opinions is nothing more than mindless chatter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:01 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
^

The jury is still out. When was the last time a minimum wage was raised as high as $15 an hour? Do you really see $15 an hour happening nationwide anytime soon?

Last edited by Motion; 04-09-2016 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 08:42 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
OMG! An anonymous caller to CSPAN says we're doomed!

Yo, all you deep thinkers who keep posting opinion pieces from blogs written by chowderheads, the fact that your opinion inventory is a bottomless well doesn't prove a thing. There have been four threads going simultaneously on this topic. A handful of posters have contributed actual, factual evidence that the sky isn't falling as proven in markets around the globe that experience high minimum wages without having caused massive layoffs or businesses to crumble. This does not mean there won't be adverse effects from other dynamics unique to California. But it does mean that, unless you can identify such unknown co-morbid negative factors, your parroting of speculative opinions is nothing more than mindless chatter.
I guess you don't care about higher prices for everything.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:50 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I guess you don't care about higher prices for everything.
said, Chicken Little.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:24 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Automation will solve this problem for businesses.
This article regarding self-service kiosks outlines how it's done: America, Meet McDonald's Self-Service Kiosks - BuzzFeed News

Old 04-10-2016, 09:19 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^
The jury is still out. When was the last time a minimum wage was raised as high as $15 an hour? Do you really see $15 an hour happening nationwide anytime soon?
Well, let's look for some historic precedence. In 1949 Truman nearly doubled the minimum wage, from 40 cents to 75 cents an hour The economy prospered and unemployment dropped.

The California minimum wage is not going to double nor is it increasing significantly in the short term. It is set to increase 50% over 6 or 7 years, so I would say given the example of 1949, the jury has returned and the minimum wage increase in California will not cause economic collapse, vast unemployment or any of the other hair on fire nonsense that has been suggested in this thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well, let's look for some historic precedence. In 1949 Truman nearly doubled the minimum wage, from 40 cents to 75 cents an hour The economy prospered and unemployment dropped.

The California minimum wage is not going to double nor is it increasing significantly in the short term. It is set to increase 50% over 6 or 7 years, so I would say given the example of 1949, the jury has returned and the minimum wage increase in California will not cause economic collapse, vast unemployment or any of the other hair on fire nonsense that has been suggested in this thread
"HAIR ON FIRE!?!?" Is my hair on fire?!?! OMG! Call 911! Call now! If you call in the next 3 minutes, we'll also include a set of Ginzo kitchen knives good for slicing open metal cans of tomatoes! No additional charge! Just pay shipping and handling!

Hair on fire! Hair on fire! My hair is on fire!

(This is roughly the mentality of these threads. Now we return to your most threatening illusions!)

Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 AM

270 posts, read 274,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I certainly can't speak for all Californians, but I am personally dying to hear from those who don't even live here about what they think will happen.
I'm a native Californian (lived there until I was 30) and currently live in the South.

I left because I found that I would have more money in my pocket if I made the same money, but lived in a low COL state.

As for this topic, I think that when costs go up, the people that don't make minimum wage are going to be the ones that are going to be losing money. Right now, I make about the equivalent to LA 88k, but I don't have the experience necessary for any company in LA to justify paying me 88k (for many if not all companies 88k is 88k regardless of COL). My level of discretionary income is the same according to COL calculators (it's probably higher since I don't have to deal with traffic keeping my gas costs down). Obviously, I don't get the LA weather, but businesses don't see it that way. So, I think you'll see business that make money on the margin leave the state when this goes up.

As for fast food, robots will replace the workers. I used to live in a town close to Nashville where Hardee's (Carl's Jr in the west) was offering discounts to people that used the touch screen to order their food instead of the worker. My guess is that this is the future in order to keep prices from rising. And guess what? I prefer the touch screen as it didn't give me any attitude when I ordered and it allowed me to order how I like my burger w/out any human errors.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:54 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
As for fast food, robots will replace the workers. I used to live in a town close to Nashville where Hardee's (Carl's Jr in the west) was offering discounts to people that used the touch screen to order their food instead of the worker. My guess is that this is the future in order to keep prices from rising. And guess what? I prefer the touch screen as it didn't give me any attitude when I ordered and it allowed me to order how I like my burger w/out any human errors.
Apps or kiosks that allow the customer to place their own order are not even offered in an attempt to replace employees, they are used because it has been proven that if a customer places their own order they are more apt to spend more money. I can order pizza, burgers, chinese take out and mexican food all from my phone and prepay for it. That has not had any effect on employment and is not what most people consider 'automation', which by the way will occur when it is financially feasible no matter what the minimum wage is.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
... blah blah blah ...
Cheese-whiz folks - this is nothing new.
Quote:
(Food) ... automats first appeared in Germany and Scandinavia in the 1890s. The first Automat in the United States opened in 1902 near New York’s Union Square. However, it failed to gain mass appeal and closed three years later. The Philadelphia area’s first Automat is credited to Joseph Horn (1861-1941) and Frank Hardart (1850-1918), whose local baking company imported the technology from Quisiana, a Berlin-based manufacturer. While European Automats were small, novelty-like affairs with unreliable brass machines, the American version pioneered by Horn and Hardart was larger and grander, with Art Deco accents, chrome paneling, stained glass windows, vaulted ceilings, and improved mechanization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrbyqUOObdU

Get a grip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California