Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

I have yet to see a minimum wage increase that helped anyone. When I started high school the Minimum wage was $2.90 an hour. By the time I graduated it was $3.35

https://www.dir.ca.gov/iwc/MinimumWageHistory.htm

Here is the deal though, unless you were just starting out at your first job you made more than the minimum anyway. When I graduated in 1983 I was making a whopping $4.50 an hour which was $1.15 over the minimum. I was working for a drain cleaning company similar to Roto Rooter. During the evenings and weekends I was getting 50% of the labor rate so the minimum wage was useless to me. I made more money on the calls then being paid by the hour.

During my working years I have watched the minimum wage increase 11 times and not one of those times was life changing for anyone on the minimum wage. Not one of those people that had an increase were able to do more with what they had.

The only organizations that seem to benefit are the unions. Two ways this is happening in California. One is that many Union jobs pay is tied to the minimum wage. Increase the minimum and the union employees increase as well.

Another interesting way is to increase membership in the union from an unlikely source. Employers. Here is how.

Unions have set up a deal that employers hiring Union employees are exempt from paying an increase in the minimum wage. Take for example a hotel employee that is in the Union. They will not get a raise. They stay at the lower pay. So what happens with employers? Pay people more or encourage a union in your business so you can pay employees less. These are just my thoughts anyway and not something that I read about. I have no other understanding of why a union would want to exempt the employees they are supposed to be helping. Maybe someone else has a thought on this.

Outrage after big labor crafts law paying their members less than non-union workers - LA Times

California Labor Union That Fought for $15 Minimum Wage Now Wants an Exemption
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have yet to see a minimum wage increase that helped anyone. When I started high school the Minimum wage was $2.90 an hour. By the time I graduated it was $3.35

https://www.dir.ca.gov/iwc/MinimumWageHistory.htm

Here is the deal though, unless you were just starting out at your first job you made more than the minimum anyway. When I graduated in 1983 I was making a whopping $4.50 an hour which was $1.15 over the minimum. I was working for a drain cleaning company similar to Roto Rooter. During the evenings and weekends I was getting 50% of the labor rate so the minimum wage was useless to me. I made more money on the calls then being paid by the hour.

During my working years I have watched the minimum wage increase 11 times and not one of those times was life changing for anyone on the minimum wage. Not one of those people that had an increase were able to do more with what they had.

The only organizations that seem to benefit are the unions. Two ways this is happening in California. One is that many Union jobs pay is tied to the minimum wage. Increase the minimum and the union employees increase as well.

Another interesting way is to increase membership in the union from an unlikely source. Employers. Here is how.

Unions have set up a deal that employers hiring Union employees are exempt from paying an increase in the minimum wage. Take for example a hotel employee that is in the Union. They will not get a raise. They stay at the lower pay. So what happens with employers? Pay people more or encourage a union in your business so you can pay employees less. These are just my thoughts anyway and not something that I read about. I have no other understanding of why a union would want to exempt the employees they are supposed to be helping. Maybe someone else has a thought on this.

Outrage after big labor crafts law paying their members less than non-union workers - LA Times

California Labor Union That Fought for $15 Minimum Wage Now Wants an Exemption
Bingo and of course a "feel good" position for the upcoming party nomination voting and elections, even if it accomplishes nothing of any real value.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Yes, some unions have an automatic trigger in their contract that increases wages for certain classifications when the minimum wage increases, that usually happens with the unions representing lower paid workers, so what?

Regarding your second statement about unions asking for an exemption from some wage hikes, here is a statement by a member of the Santa Monica City Council:

"Councilwoman Susan Himmelrich said she was initially opposed to the union exemption, but changed her mind after speaking with several union employees. “What I learned was that most people who work in these low wage jobs would prefer to have a union negotiating on their behalf for better benefits in different aspects of their lives,” she said"

Union members vote on these matters, if they want to ratify a contract that gives them benefits rather than a pay raise, why would you oppose that? I was in a union for over 30 years we regularly made choices like that, give up a pay raise to get better health insurance etc. That is part of the value of unions, employees have a voice in matters affecting them.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes, some unions have an automatic trigger in their contract that increases wages for certain classifications when the minimum wage increases, that usually happens with the unions representing lower paid workers, so what?

Regarding your second statement about unions asking for an exemption from some wage hikes, here is a statement by a member of the Santa Monica City Council:

"Councilwoman Susan Himmelrich said she was initially opposed to the union exemption, but changed her mind after speaking with several union employees. “What I learned was that most people who work in these low wage jobs would prefer to have a union negotiating on their behalf for better benefits in different aspects of their lives,” she said"

Union members vote on these matters, if they want to ratify a contract that gives them benefits rather than a pay raise, why would you oppose that? I was in a union for over 30 years we regularly made choices like that, give up a pay raise to get better health insurance etc. That is part of the value of unions, employees have a voice in matters affecting them.
If the union members want to vote on it then they can vote how they please. In the Times story the man that works for the hotel thought that the union employees were going to make more money. He did not vote for this. The Union seems to have taken it upon themselves to have this passed.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
If the union members want to vote on it then they can vote how they please. In the Times story the man that works for the hotel thought that the union employees were going to make more money. He did not vote for this. The Union seems to have taken it upon themselves to have this passed.
All union contracts are voted on by the membership for ratification. But no one is forced to vote so perhaps that is why he didn't vote?

Old 04-13-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
All union contracts are voted on by the membership for ratification. But no one is forced to vote so perhaps that is why he didn't vote?
True, but this legislation is not a UNION contract. It is a part of the legislation. The Union members did not vote on it. The UNION leaders did voice their thoughts to those writing the legislation and that is how it happened. Forget about what you think goes on with the UNION leadership. They care about themselves and not the rank and file.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
True, but this legislation is not a UNION contract. It is a part of the legislation. The Union members did not vote on it. The UNION leaders did voice their thoughts to those writing the legislation and that is how it happened. Forget about what you think goes on with the UNION leadership. They care about themselves and not the rank and file.
The union contract that would be impacted by the legislation WAS voted on by the membership. I know what goes on with unions and what you are insinuating is incorrect.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:00 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
... Forget about what you think goes on with the UNION leadership. They care about themselves and not the rank and file.
Getting $15/hr passed is proof they do care about the rank and file. Since the rules are stacked against unionizing, they have had a difficult time organizing at many companies, including Wal-Mart. The initiative process was an end run around the anti-union policies of many corporations. Raising the minimum wage puts upward pressure on all wages -- so all workers will benefit, union and non-union. A clever strategy, really.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
The union contract that would be impacted by the legislation WAS voted on by the membership. I know what goes on with unions and what you are insinuating is incorrect.
Im not insinuating anything, I am only reporting on what is allready being talked about in the news. In the articles I posted the rank and file had no idea an exemption would happen for union employees.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Getting $15/hr passed is proof they do care about the rank and file. Since the rules are stacked against unionizing, they have had a difficult time organizing at many companies, including Wal-Mart. The initiative process was an end run around the anti-union policies of many corporations. Raising the minimum wage puts upward pressure on all wages -- so all workers will benefit, union and non-union. A clever strategy, really.
It is true that they helped push it thru. Read the stories though, the exemption to paying the $15 an hour is for companies that hire Union employees. So how exactly does getting a $15 an hour minimum wage passed help union employees when the union went behind the backs of its own people and had the exemption put into place?

Personally the entire minimum wage issue is a big fat lie. Increasing the minimum helps no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California