Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Why union leaders want L.A. to give them a minimum wage loophole - LA Times

Why Unions Exempt Themselves from Hard-Fought Minimum Wage Hikes | Economics21
Some cool points from the above story:
"Once the higher minimum wage bill is signed into law, with the exemption for unions, then organizing becomes a win-win for employers and unions. Unions get initiation fees of about $50 per worker and a stream of dues totaling 2 percent to 4 percent of the workers’ paychecks. Employers get a lower wage bill."

"Rather than caring about low-income Americans, unions care about their own power. Dues and initiation fees are often used to pay for political contributions. Unions donated $60 million to the 2014 campaign, almost all to Democrats. Don’t expect municipalities with Democrat governments elected with these donations to stand in the way of union hypocrisy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-new-members/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why union leaders want L.A. to give them a minimum wage loophole - LA Times

Some cool points from the above story:
"Once the higher minimum wage bill is signed into law, with the exemption for unions, then organizing becomes a win-win for employers and unions. Unions get initiation fees of about $50 per worker and a stream of dues totaling 2 percent to 4 percent of the workers’ paychecks. Employers get a lower wage bill."

"Rather than caring about low-income Americans, unions care about their own power. Dues and initiation fees are often used to pay for political contributions. Unions donated $60 million to the 2014 campaign, almost all to Democrats. Don’t expect municipalities with Democrat governments elected with these donations to stand in the way of union hypocrisy."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-new-members/
I am not sure how many ways I can restate this for you, but NO agreements are made without the consensus of the majority of union members. Collective bargaining agreements are only enacted AFTER a vote of the general membership, a process called ratification.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
So how exactly does getting a $15 an hour minimum wage passed help union employees when the union went behind the backs of its own people and had the exemption put into place?
No one went behind their backs, all collective bargaining agreements are put to the vote of the membership. Please stop claiming otherwise.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No one went behind their backs, all collective bargaining agreements are put to the vote of the membership. Please stop claiming otherwise.
I only report what I read in the paper, or in this case online from news groups. For those that wish to read up they can decide for themselves. I see what you are saying but that is not what is being reported.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I only report what I read in the paper, or in this case online from news groups. For those that wish to read up they can decide for themselves. I see what you are saying but that is not what is being reported.
And where did they say that this was passed without a vote by the general membership? I have yet to see that in anything you have posted here.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:48 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
I have yet to see a minimum wage increase that helped anyone.
Helps to take a look around, if you're interested.

Quote:
... Maybe someone else has a thought on this.
Well, yeah. A whole bunch o' folks have shared their thoughts on the topic. Couse, most of 'em are just thoughts - backed by zero actual unbiased research and logical analysis.
Quote:
Personally the entire minimum wage issue is a big fat lie. Increasing the minimum helps no one.
Quote:
I am not sure how many ways I can restate this for you,
Apparently not enough to make a dent. Fun to read though
Quote:
Ah. The Donald system. Commercial media talk show jabberheads are all that's required for trustworthy advice. Roger that.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 PM

Unionized Hotel Workers Make Less Than Non-Union Workers Because of "Labor Loophole": LAist

Read the articles. The hotel workers are upset about making less than non union hotel workers. Do you really think that the union members voted for an exemption that would keep them from making the same or more money than non union workers?

"Unite Here Local 11 is the union that represents hotel workers in Los Angeles. The union has been campaigning (successfully) to raise the wage of hotel workers in the area, despite also lobbying for exemptions for the people it represents."

Old 04-13-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
And where did they say that this was passed without a vote by the general membership? I have yet to see that in anything you have posted here.
They told their members one thing and lobbied for something else. You seem to think that Union leadership actually follows some kind of rules. Honesty? Not something that you will find in a union. Good luck with that though.

By the way, why not prove that the exempion was voted on. I have been looking and can not find a single answer other than people in the news articles seem to be upset about the exemption. Can not find any of the rank and file that are happy with it. Maybe you have a story that you can share, you know, one of those cool news stories that many people seem to read and get information from. Not that we believe any of this stuff written by those calling themselves journalists, but is is all I can come up with right now. Maybe you have some other source to draw on?

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 04-13-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Commercial media talk show jabberheads are all that's required for trustworthy advice. Roger that.
Show me where you get your information from. I have commented on articles and included the articles within my posts. Where is your information coming from.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:31 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Show me where you get your information from. I have commented on articles and included the articles within my posts. Where is your information coming from.
My posts are pretty well documented. You just have to care to read. These threads on minimum wage are full of my documented posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California