Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 4,791 times

Advertisements

i have come up with a rough itinerary to satisfy 'the pleasure' & 'the finding a place we would like to live' aspects of this trip. I'm ok with compromising on the congestion part of the equation; my significant other not so much. We would both be ok not having walkable entertainment (I care more about it in this case). As far as driving........

I'm not familiar with the parking situation in each place, but being from the east coast, I'm very familiar with paying to park at the hotel $30-$60/night & $20+ for parking garages during the day. I'd like to know if it's the same for all/most of my planned trip down the SoCal coast. Basically, should I rent one car to keep the whole trip, or ditch it when staying a few nights in some places because the area's walkable, and then rent again as needed? Haven't decided how many nights each place yet...just a general flow to the trip.....

Also, feel free to tell me what about this itinerary isn't feasible/a waste/just plain dumb. We have 8 days. May be able to do another trip in August....

1. fly into LAX (maybe stay nearby) -> hit calabasas & ojai on the way to santa barbara (stay here)
2. stop in malibu on the way to santa monica
3. explore venice & the beaches (all? some? marina del rey, hermosa, long beach, newport, laguna are on the list). (will stay here also)
4. stop in encinitas & del mar on the way to san diego (stay here)

return trip:
5. drive to Corona & Orange (stay?)
6. stop at monkery park, griffith park, studio city & sherman oaks (stay?)
7. fly out of LAX 11pm

Is a trip to joshua tree park (with/without palm springs) on the way back from San Diego out of the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Looks like a good but very busy itinerary. I'm sure you already know this but Del Mar, while beautiful, is one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S., and Encinitas will probably be out of range as well. Oceanside and Carlsbad are just north of Encinitas, so one option would be to get off of I-5 at Oceanside and drive down the coast on Hwy. 1 from there. That will take you through Oceanside, Carlsbad, Leucadia, Encinitas, Solana Beach and Del Mar. Just below Del Mar is Torrey Pines State Park, which is definitely worth a stop if it's still day light. Pay the park entrance fee and drive up to the top of the park, where you can do a short hike through rare pines out onto a sandstone bluff overlooking the ocean. It's one of the most beautiful places in San Diego -- don't miss it.

From Torrey Pines, you could continue into La Jolla, where you will find lots of great restaurants and lots more to see and do than in Del Mar. http://www.lajollabythesea.com/ You might consider spending the night somewhere in the La Jolla area, as this would be a full day of driving if you're coming from Venice.

I'd also probably skip Corona and spend an extra night in the San Diego area. If you can only give the San Diego area one night, and are planning to stay in downtown San Diego, consider having dinner at Panama 66, so you'll at least get to see a bit of the city's crown jewel, Balboa Park. http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/panama-66

However, looking at your itinerary, I think you already have a jammed pack schedule with what is on your list, so I'd recommend adding at least one at least two more nights if you want to visit Palm Springs and Joshua Tree. Honestly, if you can't add more time, I'd save the desert for a trip when you have more time (or for after your move!).

Have a fun trip!

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-13-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 11:28 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im4yanks View Post
i have come up with a rough itinerary to satisfy 'the pleasure' & 'the finding a place we would like to live' aspects of this trip. I'm ok with compromising on the congestion part of the equation; my significant other not so much. We would both be ok not having walkable entertainment (I care more about it in this case). As far as driving........

I'm not familiar with the parking situation in each place, but being from the east coast, I'm very familiar with paying to park at the hotel $30-$60/night & $20+ for parking garages during the day. I'd like to know if it's the same for all/most of my planned trip down the SoCal coast. Basically, should I rent one car to keep the whole trip, or ditch it when staying a few nights in some places because the area's walkable, and then rent again as needed? Haven't decided how many nights each place yet...just a general flow to the trip.....

Also, feel free to tell me what about this itinerary isn't feasible/a waste/just plain dumb. We have 8 days. May be able to do another trip in August....

1. fly into LAX (maybe stay nearby) -> hit calabasas & ojai on the way to santa barbara (stay here)
2. stop in malibu on the way to santa monica
3. explore venice & the beaches (all? some? marina del rey, hermosa, long beach, newport, laguna are on the list). (will stay here also)
4. stop in encinitas & del mar on the way to san diego (stay here)

return trip:
5. drive to Corona & Orange (stay?)
6. stop at monkery park, griffith park, studio city & sherman oaks (stay?)
7. fly out of LAX 11pm

Is a trip to joshua tree park (with/without palm springs) on the way back from San Diego out of the question?
Maybe you are already aware of it, but both Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are located in Orange County. Or, did you just plan on making a detour over to the city of Orange?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 4,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Maybe you are already aware of it, but both Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are located in Orange County. Or, did you just plan on making a detour over to the city of Orange?
yeah, I didn't want to veer too far off the coast on the way down. Gonna check out the city for potential living situation

Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,506,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Sacramento has horrible air quality and is hot, hot, hot in the summer. Davis too.
Average high in Sac in July is 92. Average low is 58. Fairly low humidity too. You'd have to be an absolute pansy to not be able to hand that. Its not an hour from the ocean and the air can be dirty at times (its no L.A. though), I'll give you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California