Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:46 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellas_girl29 View Post
How do people feel about Mariposa? How about Chico?
Mariposa is a small town. Chico is a big town. Both are very hot in the summer.
The big plus for Mariposa is its proximity to Yosemite.
Chico has a lot more going for it in most other respects.
You said you weren't into "hot" though, so neither of these places fit the bill when summer comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 06:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Think Seattle versus San Diego. It gets a lot more rain up there near the coast, although we've been in a pretty bad drought the past few years.
There's always CA's north Coast, for cooler temps and a better water supply (fed by rain). McKinleyville has been growing and seems popular. Decent schools, according to reports. Less crime than Arcata.

There's Mendocino, on the coast. It depends on what you're looking for, OP. Small town ok? There's a lot to choose from, since job-wise, you're independent. You're in an ideal situation, really, except for the budget limitation. And what is it you're looking to buy? Depending on the location, you may have to scale back your expectations a little, and go for a condo, rather than a detached home. That's not so bad, is it?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-22-2016 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all of the advice. I'll definitely check out some of those places online. I'm really hoping to spend $300K or less when buying, which I know is not a lot!! I found some great houses for the price in Bakersfield, but people made fun of me and said that's out in the boonies lol. I don't have too much of a problem with that though.
You stated a fear of "crazy heat". That would let out Bakersfield. Your best bet would be anywhere from the central coast on up north, though even the central coast is pricey. Check out real estate listings in the Ft Bragg area, good for families, from what I hear.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-22-2016 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
How do people feel about Mariposa? How about Chico?
Chico--crazy hot! And farther north from there up through Redding--same. Ft Bragg has some affordable homes in your range, though most are fixer-uppers to one extent or another. Take a look. There's even one property with a separate rental house on it, a little above your range. McKinleyville has several homes in your range. Here's one with a separate workshop w/rental potential:
http://www.trulia.com/property/32282...ville-CA-95519

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-22-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 10:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,971 times
Quote:
Okay. I was born in California but have lived in Michigan most of my life. I honestly can't stand the weather here and am really considering moving to California in a few years. For me, the negatives are seeming to outweigh the positives. I know that there are negatives of each and every state. My three biggest worries are crime (I have kids), crazy heat, and cost of living. Am I crazy for hoping there's a town or city in California that doesn't have a ton of crime, has mostly nice weather (I know anywhere in California will get hot during the summer!), and isn't insanely expensive? I feel like anyone I talk to about it is just really negative, and I'd love to hear some good things. Thanks!
38 million people live here, can't be that tough. Your opinion is all that matters, forget about asking the forums opinion. Focus on the positives you like about a place and research the stat's. That's the best way to figure cost of living, crime and climate. Opinions on forums can be misleading, IMHO ha ha

Old 04-25-2016, 11:20 AM

38 posts, read 46,481 times
Thank you so much for your opinions, everyone! I know I'd have to sort of think about and possibly shift my priorities when it comes to buying a house there. Is it mostly just hot in the summer in Chico? I can honestly probably handle one season of extreme heat haha. Here, there are basically three seasons out of the year that I can't really go outside, so I feel like I'd be okay with just one. I'll definitely check out those other places! I'd love to potentially get a place under $300,000 with at least 2,000 square feet, but I feel like people would think that's laughable! Haha.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your opinions, everyone! I know I'd have to sort of think about and possibly shift my priorities when it comes to buying a house there. Is it mostly just hot in the summer in Chico? I can honestly probably handle one season of extreme heat haha. Here, there are basically three seasons out of the year that I can't really go outside, so I feel like I'd be okay with just one. I'll definitely check out those other places! I'd love to potentially get a place under $300,000 with at least 2,000 square feet, but I feel like people would think that's laughable! Haha.
My advice? Plan your visit for August or September, the two hottest months in most of California. You'll know quick enough whether you'll be happy trading Michigan winter's for California heat.

Also, if you're going to focus your visit and search in Northern California, you might continue North and check out Oregon. Home prices and cost of living are more reasonable in Oregon, there's no sales tax, and the schools in many areas are very good. The weather isn't all that different between Northern coastal California and Oregon. Some parts of Oregon do get snow, but you'll find that Oregon winters in most areas are nothing like Michigan winters (my son went to college in Portland and did his master's at UMich, so I have an idea of the difference). In particular, check out: Salem, Ashville, Medford, Corvallis, Eugene, and the metro Portland area. Ashville and Medford aren't all that far from Chico. You should find decent homes in your price range in or close to all of these areas, and it is a gorgeous part of the country. In fact, many Californians have moved to Oregon for just those reasons.

One other thing to consider: do you see yourself and your family wanting to going "home" to visit family or friends in Michigan often after your move? If so, you might want to think about the distance to airports with direct flights to Detroit or Chicago. Parts of Northern California are a loooooong way from major airports with easy flights back east. The same is true for parts of Southern Oregon. Just another factor to think about -- it may not seem to matter now, but it will when you and your kids want to see family for Christmas.

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-27-2016 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 11:16 PM

176 posts, read 255,653 times
Anywhere in the central valley is going to be really hot in the summer. I'd look somewhere near the coast away from the major job centers. That leaves the coast north of SF, and the central coast between Monterrey bay and northern edge of LA metro.

Right on the coast will be expensive of course, but the prices drop a little inland, and the weather is still mild. Arroyo Grande maybe

Don't wear out that exclamation point key! :-)

Old 04-28-2016, 06:44 AM

38 posts, read 46,481 times
Thanks for your advice, everyone! I'll definitely look into those options. Since checking into cost of living, I'm also beginning to consider somewhere like Virginia Beach. I know their weather isn't as great, but their cost of living is MUCH better. I've always loved the exclamation point key! Lol. :P

Old 05-02-2016, 05:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,971 times
Virginia sounds nice. California vs Virginia - Places Comparison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California