Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,697,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Nice! Why is it so cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:31 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,958,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Nice! Why is it so cheap?
It's the remoteness, as it's way off the 101, and small. Trying for quaintness, has improved in the last 10 years. There is still some drug crime issues last I heard. Vandenberg AFB is right there, and so is a the federal prison (minimum security, but I drove around it and it looks very secure), but so is the best California Mission in the state, La Purisima. Cooler weather. Need to drive south to Santa Barbara or north to Santa Maria for necessities and culture.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:29 PM

96 posts, read 110,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Stop letting people convince you what to do. Yes, you should avoid super expensive areas. However, if you can get hired nearly anywhere, e.g. nurse, you are in an enviable position. California has beautiful areas that many would cut their right hands off to be able to afford with a decent job, e.g. Central Coast. It can be affordable and is very nice.

They are giving me advice on different areas since I don't know anything about what areas I should look to be affordable. Of course, the decision is ultimately up to me.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:47 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,474,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
If the ocean is too expensive, mountains aren't - there are many beautiful mountain areas across the US that are affordable.

California is great, but no place is so great that it's worth dropping down to near-poverty to live there. The constant stress of money will wipe out the beautiful scenery.
In my pet of CA, which is a great place to live, the OP can live like a queen on $81k. Rent a nice House for $1200 a month. Yosemite and Tahoe a day trip away. While the coast is four hours away the money saved compared to LA pays for many a hotel stay in Montery. Eh, but I was raised in SF and LA and I find the coast a big so what. Tahoe has great beaches with fabulous mountains.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:39 PM

96 posts, read 110,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In my pet of CA, which is a great place to live, the OP can live like a queen on $81k. Rent a nice House for $1200 a month. Yosemite and Tahoe a day trip away. While the coast is four hours away the money saved compared to LA pays for many a hotel stay in Montery. Eh, but I was raised in SF and LA and I find the coast a big so what. Tahoe has great beaches with fabulous mountains.

What area are you talking about?

Old 04-13-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
Probably Fresno

Old 04-14-2016, 10:49 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,259,570 times
Quote:
HI,

Is the salary alot more in California for a Nurse working as a Case Manager than it is in NY?
What salary do I have to make to afford to live in California.

my spouse is a nurse and she makes more than a hundred grand, working just 36 hrs a week, no OT, no per diem in Irvine, CA and no medical insurance to pay.

im sure, OC is more expensive than Oxnard, not Santa Monica though

if you are a nurse, you have no problem living in CA or anywhere else in the USA

Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,474,742 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Probably Fresno
The Gold Country-Amador, Calaveras, Tuolumne and Mariposa Counties.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The Gold Country-Amador, Calaveras, Tuolumne and Mariposa Counties.
No jobs there either

Old 04-14-2016, 03:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,081,749 times
Truth is there are millions of financially sound people vying to live in these beach side communities, and if you're not ready for some serious compromising, you may just be out of luck.

In LA, people don't usually rent more bedrooms than they need. For example, my wife and I are a six figure household and we live in a 750sqft 1-bedroom apartment. That's a very common scenario. For the price we pay, we could own a 3bed 2500sqft house back in Milwaukee WI. Home size/ownership was our method of compromising to live in LA.

The dogs don't help your situation as you'll be limited to pet-friendly buildings and need more space than a studio offers--which is what someone in your position would normally do out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California