Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:25 PM

96 posts, read 111,822 times

Advertisements

HI,

I am weighing my options of moving to California. I am single making $ 81,100/year. My job allows me to live anywhere so I will be working the same job with the same salary.

I've been looking at rentals in places such as Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, Oxnard, Camarillo and the rent is so high. I am not wealthy by any means and can't understand how so many people live in California with the cost of housing.
Is my salary comparable to what a lot of other people make in California to afford to rent housing.
I'm single female with 2 dogs looking for 2 bedroom with 1 bath. Townhouse or apartment.

Is the salary alot more in California for a Nurse working as a Case Manager than it is in NY?
What salary do I have to make to afford to live in California.

I'm thinking the only way I can afford to live in California is to share a rental home but that's a littel scary to rent with someone I don't know. I would love to work as a private Nurse for someone and get compensated with salary and housing.

I may have to work a part time job in addition to my full time job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:48 PM

270 posts, read 273,908 times
Answering your question from the other thread. You can live off of $81,100/year in CA. Your level of comfort is going to be the deciding factor in how you choose where to live. You could choose to live Inland where housing is much cheaper, but you'll have to put up with dry heat instead of that beach weather. Depending on where you live a trip to the beach will take a couple of hours, but that's what it'll be like if you want to keep rent low. Santa Monica is going to be out of your price range unless you can find a rent controlled area, which they do have. Redondo Beach is DEFINITELY out of your price range. There are people that rent out bedrooms, which when I lived there were somewhat reasonable, but that was before Silicon Beach. Will you end up filing income taxes in CA? Better factor that in to how much you'll need to live comfortably.

Honestly, if you're deadset on living in CA, you're going to need roommates or change your options. My brother stayed in Oxnard and I thought he had a decent house in a suburban area, but I hear bad things from Oxnard natives.

You can find some hidden gems, but you're going to have to compromise. A lady on Craigslist converted her garage into a 1 bedroom apt with sink, oven, shower, and free direct tv for $750/month near Manhattan Beach when I lived there in 2009. She told me that she converted it to help her pay the mortgage after her divorce. There are places like that there, but you won't find them until you get there. It won't be at 2009 rents, but should be cheaper than the rental market for conventional housing. Also, eating out is cheaper in CA than where I live in the South.

How can people live there if the cost of housing is so high?
As a native Californian, I can tell you that it's not an easy choice to leave the state. You live where people vacation. If you're in LA, you can drive to Vegas for a weekend anytime. I was raised on the Harbor, so coastal scenery is what I prefer, but there's something for almost everyone. There's a lot more to it, but those are some reasons. Leaving a coastal area is probably harder than leaving the desert areas. At some point, you just can't take the extreme weather in other areas. If I wasn't sent to Japan, I probably would have never left the state, but once I got out, my view of it changed and made it easier for me to leave.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:19 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,164 times
If the ocean is too expensive, mountains aren't - there are many beautiful mountain areas across the US that are affordable.

California is great, but no place is so great that it's worth dropping down to near-poverty to live there. The constant stress of money will wipe out the beautiful scenery.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
Answering your question from the other thread. You can live off of $81,100/year in CA. Your level of comfort is going to be the deciding factor in how you choose where to live. You could choose to live Inland where housing is much cheaper, but you'll have to put up with dry heat instead of that beach weather. Depending on where you live a trip to the beach will take a couple of hours, but that's what it'll be like if you want to keep rent low. Santa Monica is going to be out of your price range unless you can find a rent controlled area, which they do have. Redondo Beach is DEFINITELY out of your price range. There are people that rent out bedrooms, which when I lived there were somewhat reasonable, but that was before Silicon Beach. Will you end up filing income taxes in CA? Better factor that in to how much you'll need to live comfortably.

Honestly, if you're deadset on living in CA, you're going to need roommates or change your options. My brother stayed in Oxnard and I thought he had a decent house in a suburban area, but I hear bad things from Oxnard natives.

You can find some hidden gems, but you're going to have to compromise. A lady on Craigslist converted her garage into a 1 bedroom apt with sink, oven, shower, and free direct tv for $750/month near Manhattan Beach when I lived there in 2009. She told me that she converted it to help her pay the mortgage after her divorce. There are places like that there, but you won't find them until you get there. It won't be at 2009 rents, but should be cheaper than the rental market for conventional housing. Also, eating out is cheaper in CA than where I live in the South.

How can people live there if the cost of housing is so high?
As a native Californian, I can tell you that it's not an easy choice to leave the state. You live where people vacation. If you're in LA, you can drive to Vegas for a weekend anytime. I was raised on the Harbor, so coastal scenery is what I prefer, but there's something for almost everyone. There's a lot more to it, but those are some reasons. Leaving a coastal area is probably harder than leaving the desert areas. At some point, you just can't take the extreme weather in other areas. If I wasn't sent to Japan, I probably would have never left the state, but once I got out, my view of it changed and made it easier for me to leave.

Thank you for getting back to me. In my search for rentals I've noticed that the further I go East towards the mountains it is alot cheaper. I really liked Santa Monica during my search. It's beautiful. I can't work just to pay my rent. I want extra money to have fun with also.
Japan sounds interesting but I would rather stay home with all the crap going on in this world.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
If the ocean is too expensive, mountains aren't - there are many beautiful mountain areas across the US that are affordable.

California is great, but no place is so great that it's worth dropping down to near-poverty to live there. The constant stress of money will wipe out the beautiful scenery.

You are right. I don't want to live being so stressed out and live paycheck to paycheck just to pay the rent.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Stop letting people convince you what to do. Yes, you should avoid super expensive areas. However, if you can get hired nearly anywhere, e.g. nurse, you are in an enviable position. California has beautiful areas that many would cut their right hands off to be able to afford with a decent job, e.g. Central Coast. It can be affordable and is very nice.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 04-12-2016 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 07:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Oxnard is too expensive? I don't which websites you're using to check out rentals, but unless you're looking for right on the beach or walking distance to the beach, Oxnard is a SoCal bargain. Look at Craigslist for a better idea if you're not.

Also look at Ventura. It has some of the Santa Monica walkable, younger crowd, coffee shop, cool little stores, beach city stuff, but not as urban or pricy.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:10 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,357 times
California is a large state and the cost of housing, either to rent or buy varies considerably in the state. For example a 2 bedroom house, with a garage and yard can rented in the Central Valley for less then a studio in San Francisco

Old 04-12-2016, 08:38 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,720,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Stop letting people convince you what to do. Yes, you should avoid super expensive areas. However, if you can get hired nearly anywhere, e.g. nurse, you are in an enviable position. California has beautiful areas that many would cut their right hands off to be able to afford with a decent job, e.g. Central Coast. It can be affordable and is very nice.
Name a city on the central coast that's affordable.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Name a city on the central coast that's affordable.
Lompoc. SFH's below, sample:

Single Family Houses for Sale in Lompoc, CA Single-Family Real Estate - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California