Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 04:43 AM

7,644 posts, read 4,591,848 times

Advertisements

California's an excellent place for fair-weather friends. It's entrenched to be excited and happy at the right time, and to coo at every little this and that while you cheer someone on...perhaps right over the edge of a cliff. It's a nice veneer and should be easy for anyone to head into the city and have a great time with random people you meet. Exchanging numbers at the end of the night to do it again may be a bit weird here but not in other areas...but that's because there's new strangers you'll see next time.

After a decade, it's home now, but I'd love it to be a bit more direct and a little less feudal. The above aside, once you learn it, it's a pretty awesome state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 01:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,652,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I've found that some of the friendliest people and the unfriendliest ones live right next door to each other. In every state in which I've lived, I find a mix of both. I suspect that's true all over the world.
A lot of my neighbors find me unfriendly. It's not that I generally dislike people, it's because I get disgusted by a lot of the behavior from my neighbors that I observe, such as excessive speeding on our street, allowing their dogs to traipse through flower beds not their own, putting dog waste in trashcans not their own and that have just been emptied by the trash truck, allowing their dog to spray on flowers not their own, parking their cars so that they're encroaching on somebody's driveway by several feet even when the driveway is a single car width, etc.

I cannot stand inconsiderate people; however, I'm friendly towards my neighbors who exhibit common courtesy, which unfortunately are a very limited few these days.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:04 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
A lot of my neighbors find me unfriendly. It's not that I generally dislike people, it's because I get disgusted by a lot of the behavior from my neighbors that I observe, such as excessive speeding on our street, allowing their dogs to traipse through flower beds not their own, putting dog waste in trashcans not their own and that have just been emptied by the trash truck, allowing their dog to spray on flowers not their own, parking their cars so that they're encroaching on somebody's driveway by several feet even when the driveway is a single car width, etc.

I cannot stand inconsiderate people; however, I'm friendly towards my neighbors who exhibit common courtesy, which unfortunately are a very limited few these days.
I have never had neighbors like that. The only gripe about my neighbors is that they keep to themselves and are hard to connect with.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:36 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
The OP asked this question in April 2016 and it remains their single post, yet 17 pages later a debate rages. Isn't that almost the definition of trolling?

Old 09-12-2016, 02:37 PM

264 posts, read 250,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I remember taking a trip to La Jolla in SD and being floored by the level of elitism and racism.
La Jolla has an elitist/stuck-up reputation, but I think it depends on where exactly you are. The Village has a more elitist vibe than near UCSD and UTC, which are more diverse.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
La Jolla has an elitist/stuck-up reputation, but I think it depends on where exactly you are. The Village has a more elitist vibe than near UCSD and UTC, which are more diverse.
Well while racism may not be a prevalent attitude in coastal California overall, the state substitutes it with outright elitism. The kind that would make southerners and midwesterners wince. Just like Larry Seigel admitted he's not racist, which I am more than inclined to believe, but I DO believe him when he says he leans toward elitism. Californians especially the more well to do (and especially on this forum) are very openly elitist and love enacting the zoning, land use planning, etc laws to favor their tastes to maintain their QOL at the expense of everyone else. I mean it's their right, I am not mad at them but while they chide the rest of the country for being racist, they practice a very openly brazen form of elitism and classism.

I took a trip up to Oregon this past weekend and the attitudes, culture were night and day. A truly progressively minded place I thought. I was around VERY wealthy people in Lake Oswego and you wouldn't have even known they were loaded. Very humble place.
My point is that there is an attitude in certain areas of California cities that seems very classist, elitist and there is a culture that revolves around it to some extent. It's as though this is the place to come to truly elevate yourself above the rest and make sure people know it.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
Unfortunately there are two areas of LJ called the Village - downtown La Jolla, and the area Villa La Jolla and Nobel (near Whole Foods).

Old 09-14-2016, 12:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well while racism may not be a prevalent attitude in coastal California overall, the state substitutes it with outright elitism. The kind that would make southerners and midwesterners wince. Just like Larry Seigel admitted he's not racist, which I am more than inclined to believe, but I DO believe him when he says he leans toward elitism. Californians especially the more well to do (and especially on this forum) are very openly elitist and love enacting the zoning, land use planning, etc laws to favor their tastes to maintain their QOL at the expense of everyone else. I mean it's their right, I am not mad at them but while they chide the rest of the country for being racist, they practice a very openly brazen form of elitism and classism.

I took a trip up to Oregon this past weekend and the attitudes, culture were night and day. A truly progressively minded place I thought. I was around VERY wealthy people in Lake Oswego and you wouldn't have even known they were loaded. Very humble place.
My point is that there is an attitude in certain areas of California cities that seems very classist, elitist and there is a culture that revolves around it to some extent. It's as though this is the place to come to truly elevate yourself above the rest and make sure people know it.
Bingo

Old 09-14-2016, 11:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The OP asked this question in April 2016 and it remains their single post, yet 17 pages later a debate rages. Isn't that almost the definition of trolling?
Yes, and if you check their profile they were on the board as late as 9/13. But only one comment in April?

The only place they live is under a bridge, and the bridge isn't in CA.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:45 AM

7,644 posts, read 4,591,848 times
You hit it on the head radiolibre. Very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California