Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:23 AM

371 posts, read 425,816 times

Advertisements

A lot of people ask me why I didn't stay in California. They assert that they hear it's the best place in the world, but these are folk who have not lived here yet. I decided to make a post so I can reference back to it every time someone says, "Why'd you leave Cali?"

I start of with: I studied abroad in Madrid, Spain for undergrad, traveled many places while in Europe, and the best way to describe California (Los Angeles) is as the exact opposite of any European city.

Madrid thrives on intellectualism (everyone knows about world politics), Los Angeles thrives on anti-intellectualism (you get verbally stoned if you talk about anything of substance outside your circle).

Madrid is built with a city centre and the infrastructure makes it easy to drive from one part of the city to another. LA is built without a city centre and it is hard to drive from one part of the city to another.

Madrid, and other european cities alike, there are few options for food. Pork, bread and unseasoned chicken, however, nothing had GMO's in it. LA, and west coast towns alike, has options for everything all the time, portions huge, most stuff has GMO's in it, you have to search to find organic/local grown.

Madrid, and other euro cities alike, they have a bigger welfare/safety net, so there are less homeless people. There are more sex slaves, access to drugs, access to illegal activities though. LA there is the 1% and there is everyone else. The 1% does nothing for the roads, building aesthetics, or city renovations. That being said LA looks underdeveloped. In LA the homes not occupied by the 1% look like favelas because they are small and everyone has a different colored gate around their abode.

Madrid, less rules and restrictions on life if you follow the law. The police are not militarized and do not have guns. Clubs stay open until 6am, and they have post club bars that are open from 6am-12pm. Los Angeles, military police and a club will be located in a venue ungerground next to a gas station, not close to any other venues so it's impossible to club hop. The clubs close at 2, lights on at 1:30, so LA can get boring quickly if you're into insane partying (with the public, private parties don't count bc theyre private)

Then you have the nature aspect of both cities. Madrid has green parks and lakes, which look developed and are always upkept by the city. LA has beaches and different terrains, but beaches are city beaches so from Santa Monica all the way down to Huntington Beach you can walk out of the beach with tar on your bare feet.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
This is an L.A. vs. Madrid comparison. California getting thrown into this ruins the argument.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
This is an L.A. vs. Madrid comparison. California getting thrown into this ruins the argument.
Yeah, as someone who has lived throughout CA, I've never understood why some people say "California" when they really only mean LA. My only guess is that they have zero experience with the rest of the state and the Southland is the only part of California they know.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento. All are four VERY distinct places but LA=all of California?

HILARIOUS! LOL

Old 04-21-2016, 10:49 AM

387 posts, read 511,725 times
Can't we just appeciate different parts of the world for what they are? If everything was the same than it'd be boring.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:49 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Yeah, as someone who has lived throughout CA, I've never understood why some people say "California" when they really only mean LA. My only guess is that they have zero experience with the rest of the state and the Southland is the only part of California they know.
This is California:

Old 04-21-2016, 11:06 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, dood, get out of LA! You abandoned an entire state just because you didn't like one city? The joke's on you, pal.

Seriously, who does that? Have a nice life.

P.S. Show me redwood forests around Madrid. Then we can talk.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:40 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, dood, get out of LA! You abandoned an entire state just because you didn't like one city? The joke's on you, pal.

Seriously, who does that? Have a nice life.

P.S. Show me redwood forests around Madrid. Then we can talk.
He has a point, actually many, that are valid about the society of the US in general and most, but not all cities. However those European cities have existed for centuries and have been built the way they are due to foot and horse traffic wayyy before the modern world of cars etc came about. Is it better, yes, but impossible for the US to duplicate now.

The food issue is real as the food in the US stinks to high heaven as to quality and excessive additives, like 5 times the sugar per person that Europeans eat in their food and France for sure has NO GMO and that makes for a healthier life. Sounds like Spain has some intelligent leaders in this area as well. In other areas , well ....

However CA or any State will never be comparable to a single city. And in some ways certain Cities for many would be better than Madrid. Not that Madrid is bad, but what we are raised with does impact our views of life.

You are right he should get out of LA.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
The 'anything-of-substance' OP wants everyone in LA to talk endlessly about, are his favorite topic(s) which he views as eminently intellectual: Race, race, and more topics related to race ...and victimology, white people and blame, followed by more discourse surrounding race.

It's curious how he finds anything of value in Spain given its racial composition.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:07 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
You come off pretentious assuming we all care about why you think Madrid is better than LA. Also, Madrid does not equal the rest of Europe and LA is not the same as the rest of California. It's disappointing that I even have to point this out.

I studied abroad in Spain too by the way but I managed to avoid returning with a snobby attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California