Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would it be?
Death Valley 0 0%
Yosemite 15 57.69%
Mt. Jacinto Peak 1 3.85%
Big Sur Coast 1 3.85%
Those really tall trees by NorCal's Coast (Redwoods?) 7 26.92%
Lake Tahoe 2 7.69%
South San Diego Wetlands 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:29 PM

387 posts, read 509,775 times

Advertisements

What part of the State has the most aweing scenery that you believe deserves to be accredited recognition?

Last edited by I Love Buildings; 04-28-2016 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 PM

I'd like to point out an honorable mention to Mt. Jacinto Peak for being one of the few places on Earth you can overlook both the ocean and the desert 10,000ft above sealevel while also seeing snow. On a clear day you can see the DTLA skyline 100 miles east believe it or not.

For those confused at the San Diego Wetlands, it's like a mini Florida-Everglade wildlife preserve right beside Imperial Beach.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,482,878 times
I've traveled pretty extensively and love to read and watch travel logs. There are very few places on earth that can compare to Yosemite National Park. I lived in Monterey for over 10 years and often drove down to Big Sur. Its beautiful, but I'd still say Yosemite is a notch above it. Lots of beautiful coastlines, very few glacial valleys ringed with waterfalls like that.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:25 PM

102,115 posts, read 107,301,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I've traveled pretty extensively and love to read and watch travel logs. There are very few places on earth that can compare to Yosemite National Park. I lived in Monterey for over 10 years and often drove down to Big Sur. Its beautiful, but I'd still say Yosemite is a notch above it. Lots of beautiful coastlines, very few glacial valleys ringed with waterfalls like that.
That's a pretty tall statement. Are you sure about that? Remember the guy who posted here, who, as a ranger or guide in Yosemite handling groups of European tourists, said that it wasn't unusual for the visitors to comment that they didn't know what the fuss was about, Europe had much more spectacular scenery than Yosemite? ROFL! That just kills me! They thought Yosemite was just another example of overblown American marketing. Now granted, the Alps and the Norwegian fjords are quite breathtaking. But they don't have redwoods! And you're right about the waterfalls; tall waterfalls like that aren't common in Europe.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM

16,583 posts, read 27,310,887 times
Why are south San Diego wetlands special?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:41 PM

^ i hear there's alot of unique species living there.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
I'd like to point out an honorable mention to Mt. Jacinto Peak for being one of the few places on Earth you can overlook both the ocean and the desert 10,000ft above sealevel while also seeing snow. On a clear day you can see the DTLA skyline 100 miles east believe it or not.

For those confused at the San Diego Wetlands, it's like a mini Florida-Everglade wildlife preserve right beside Imperial Beach.
Didn't see this addition. I think a couple of other California wetlands beat it out. In terms of being right next to the beach, I think Orange County, in particular Bolsa Chica win. In terms of wildlife, both in biomass and variety, the wetlands around San Francisco Bay win.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM

21,643 posts, read 16,183,457 times
And then there's the Elkhorn Estuary Reserve and the Morro Bay Reserves for wetlands teeming with bio-diversity as well, if you're going to consider areas as small as the San Diego Border Field wetlands. All told, the Bay Area wetlands are much more extensive though divided and separated. Even divided as they are, some areas are larger than Border Field, Elkhorn, or Morro.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And then there's the Elkhorn Estuary Reserve and the Morro Bay Reserves for wetlands teeming with bio-diversity as well, if you're going to consider areas as small as the San Diego Border Field wetlands. All told, the Bay Area wetlands are much more extensive though divided and separated. Even divided as they are, some areas are larger than Border Field, Elkhorn, or Morro.
This is what has created such variety there. A bird, the Song Sparrow has over 30 races across North America, almost all of them in the west. Four of these are endemic to specific areas around the marshes of San Francisco Bay which means they've been there for a long time. No such situation occurs around San Diego Bay.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 PM

21,643 posts, read 16,183,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is what has created such variety there. A bird, the Song Sparrow has over 30 races across North America, almost all of them in the west. Four of these are endemic to specific areas around the marshes of San Francisco Bay which means they've been there for a long time. No such situation occurs around San Diego Bay.
A person could have a very hard lifetime trying to exhaust themselves of adventures and explorations of all the Bay wetlands trails and waterways. Just ask those birds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California