Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:55 PM

12 posts, read 165,293 times

Advertisements

I'm considering driving from Phoenix to San Diego to San Francisco in a few weeks. I'm a 30 year old female and would be traveling alone. I've never been to California. Is this drive safe to make, especially in the summer heat? I've done quite a few cross-country road trips, but never by myself. Is there any reason I should consider not doing this?

Further, are there certain areas of San Francisco that you would recommend I NOT stay in, as far as personal safety goes?

I'm on the fence about doing this trip at all, but I really want to make it happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 10:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
It's not that hot yet. Carry water and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (they're safe out of the fridge pretty much).
It's safe. Maybe avoid rest stops, do your bathroom breaks at the gas stations. The 101 is scenic but the trip is longer. The 5 is faster but mucho boring. Have something to listen to either way, and fill up your tank when you can, stations are farther apart than you'd think. Dark sunglasses, and a covering for your left arm recommended.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
Like nightlysparrow mentioned, carry plenty of water and snacks on the journey. I take it that you'll be taking I-8 into San Diego. The scenery along that route is quite varied, from desert and sand dunes, to irrigated farmland to mountains and mesas. In certain spots you'll be below sea level (Imperial County) to more than 4,000 feet above sea level. Since you're accustomed to the Arizona heat, expect comparable weather as you cross into California from Yuma until you get to Ocotillo at the base of the mountains headed into San Diego County.

Once you get into San Francisco, you may just want to leave your car parked for the duration of your stay. It's preferable to get around San Francisco on foot or by public transit. Most parts of town are relatively safe, in particular the tourist oriented neighborhoods. Areas to avoid would be parts of the Tenderloin district and the southern neighborhoods such as Bayview-Hunter's Point, Visitacion Valley, and the eastern part of the Mission district. The SOMA (South of Market) district is gentrifying with new apartment and condos towers and newish hotels.

Summers along the coast of California are actually quite mild and overcast, especially during the months of May and June ("the June Gloom"). I-5 going northward out of San Diego hugs the coast and then turns inland as it travels into Orange County and toward Los Angeles. It is the fastest route between Southern California and the Bay Area. On the other hand, US-101 and California State Highway 1 are the scenic routes that run along the coast. Highway 1 travels along the Big Sur coastline between Morro Bay and Carmel, which is spectacular. Just keep your eyes on the road, though ;-). With some planning and due diligence as you're already doing, your road trip to California should be fine.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheWeather View Post
I'm considering driving from Phoenix to San Diego to San Francisco in a few weeks. I'm a 30 year old female and would be traveling alone. I've never been to California. Is this drive safe to make, especially in the summer heat? I've done quite a few cross-country road trips, but never by myself. Is there any reason I should consider not doing this?

Further, are there certain areas of San Francisco that you would recommend I NOT stay in, as far as personal safety goes?

I'm on the fence about doing this trip at all, but I really want to make it happen!
Yes, it's safe, even in the summer heat. I've driven it from NM several times, in summer and early fall. I've noticed on this forum that women are very apprehensive about crossing the Mohave Desert alone. I was that way, too, before my first trip, but now I'm fine with it. And in case you have car trouble, there are stops along the way with garages where you can get your car checked out. Just be sure to check your oil before you make the trip, and carry extra coolant in case you have some minor accident that affects the radiator. At least you'll have more peace of mind, carrying extra coolant.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:52 PM

608 posts, read 516,075 times
Can't comment on San Francisco, but I would highly recommend taking Pacific coast highway 1 from Morro Bay to Monterrey as long as you aren't pressed for time or anything. It is one of the most beautiful drives in the US. Absolutely stunning views of the ocean and forest there, especially when the sun is out.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Carry extra money because the sf Bay Area, San Diego, and la are disconnected from reality

Old 05-29-2016, 08:35 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
Can't comment on San Francisco, but I would highly recommend taking Pacific coast highway 1 from Morro Bay to Monterrey as long as you aren't pressed for time or anything. It is one of the most beautiful drives in the US. Absolutely stunning views of the ocean and forest there, especially when the sun is out.
Correction: World

Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Like newfangle said, take hwy 1 along the coast. That makes the trip truly worth it. I'd take it all the way to S.F. actually. But it does take much more time.
And if you don't want to be sitting in major traffic in both the L.A. and S.F. bay area, etc., realize that commuter times will be crazy heavy re; traffic. If you can somehow time your daily driving (when you're in those areas) in a way that allows you to avoid the a.m. and p.m. commutes, do so.

Get your car thoroughly checked before you leave and carry some extra oil just in case and water too .... for yourself and for your car just in case. If you don't have AAA membership you might want to get it. It's good to know that you do break down, you'll have some assistance without paying huge $ for it.
I regularly make very long trips in the west and as women, some of us tend to be a little apprehensive but know that CA isn't scary ... just very populated.
I'd take nightlysparrow's advice about avoiding rest stops for bathroom breaks. I never stop at rest stops. I just don't like them.
Also, if you don't already have rooms booked or friends to stay with, consider airbnb. https://www.airbnb.com/
I've used airbnb and saved big money. You can find some really nice accommodations that are much less expensive than staying in a hotel.
Happy trails to you.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Ditto on the Pac Coast Highway. Highway 101 out of the LA basin to San Luis Obispo, then 1 the rest of the way to San Francisco. It's a great drive, though it takes a while.

And 101 is not a bad drive, either, until you get to Gilroy. Then it becomes expressway into San Francisco.
If time is a problem, take the 1 up, and then run I-5 back south.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:49 PM

371 posts, read 637,536 times
About taking breaks, a piece of advice I received in school about road trips was to use the restrooms in restaurants, not gas stations. The restaurants have to follow health and safety rules in terms of cleanliness, and their restrooms (at least years ago when I was told this) tend to be cleaner than those at a lot of gas stations. Not sure how relevant that info would be now, but it's something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California