Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:25 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Win View Post
You don't live in CA (and I know there's no way in hell you live in NY) which means you live in a flyover state. I guess logic is hard for you.
So any state that isn't CA or NY is "fly over"? I don't think that term means what you think it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Did I quote anything spewed by celebrities? Or have I directly presented science and logic?

Polluted state? Polluted by overpopulation and industry in areas with natural geographic limitations to air flow, you mean I suppose. No state in the union matches the pollution controls enacted by California. Too many people overusing resources - which is exactly what I am pointing out. Interesting you should mention it when it directly contradicts your irresponsible position.

More people need to move away. Preferably to Florida.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyover_country

Flyover country, flyover states, and Flyoverland are American phrases describing the parts of the United States between the East and the West Coasts. The terms, which are often used pejoratively, refer to the interior regions of the country passed over during transcontinental flights, particularly flights between the nation's two most populous urban agglomerations, the Northeastern Megalopolis and Southern California. "Flyover country" thus refers to the part of the country that some Americans only view by air and never actually see in person at ground level

Get educated, son.
Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio and Dallas are fly over country?..but also in the top 10 cities by population ?
Doesn't make much sense.

As cities especially in Texas and other states have grown and developed flyover country seems less relevant.
L.A and NYC are the only place where 'culture' or diversity exists?

Old 05-31-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Is this a new concept to you? You should get out more.
His point makes sense though. Chicago, and Houston have metro areas that are about the same size as the SF Bay Area metro. So if we are to use your definition of "areas Americans only view by air and never actually see in person at ground level", then those two areas certainly don't fit your criteria based simply on their populations. It seems like what you're "trying" to say is anyone that doesn't live in NYC or LA metro lives in fly over country, to which I think your point is stupid and wrong.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:11 PM

The idea of Flyover country is kind of like when people refer to CA as sushi eating, yoga lovers.
It's an outdated/passe thing.
People in NYC eat sushi and do yoga now too.
I was born in L.A..but not ignorant enough to think that only LA or NYC are cities worthwhile to visit or live in.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to say anything. Flyover country is a common term and I posted a link to the definition. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.

You can come up with your own term and see if it sticks. Perhaps "Armpit of the U.S." is preferable? It's got a nice ring to it.
How many states have you visited besides California and NY?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
oops, this could not have been what Florida's governor wanted?? $2.5 billion railway is being built for Florida...in California

Old 06-10-2016, 10:38 PM

Interesting article ... So while CA has been talking about high speed rail Florida is actually going to have one... And it's privately funded ?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:24 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Florida? 9th-lowest GDP of all 50 states.
California? 10th-highest GDP of all 50 states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita
As the bigger the population the higher the GDP in modern countries and states, California should be the #1 GDP state in the country for GDP. It is only high in the world accounting due to it's shear number of people spending more money.

The true measure of a county and what is going on, is the GDP by a per capita basis. The United States falls to 19th place n the world, on a Per Capita Basis.

GDP Per Capita: Definition, Formula, Highest, Lowest,

On the health of the economy by state, California is 1 place ahead of Florida, and way behind Texas.

State Economy Ranking July 2015 - Business Insider

California should be #1: The most populous state, and far ahead of most states in population. In fact about 35 times the population of Montana, where we have more cows than people, and 7 Indian Reservations which are not prosperous under the control of the federal government. The state has all those harbors, and all the shipping in and out of the country which greatly increases their SDP (STATE DOMESTIC PRODUCT). Major employers such as Apple and HP. But they are not, with states like Texas ahead of them by far, and Florida one place behind them.

Now we come to the big determining factor, which median income for the state, adjusted for cost of living. This is where California really loses it. They are way behind all but all but 9 states including one place below Mississippi on of the poorest states in the country. Far behind places like Texas, Florida, and even my state of Montana, which has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. No wonder California has such a high poverty rate way ahead of any other state.

New State-Level Price Data Shows Smaller State Real Income Differences | Tax Foundation

Quote:
How many states have you visited besides California and NY?
I was born in California in 1931. I have lived from Eureka to San Diego and raised a family in the Silicon Valley. I have lived in the South, North East, Mid West, Southern Utah, Northwest, and Now Montana where my grandfather was born in 1967. I have been in 45 states including Hawaii and kind of know what is going on in the country. My question would be how many have you been in and lived in. I was transferred around the country living in several different states, in my Corporate life and when I got tired of moving around, quit the corporate life in 1972 to go into real estate brokerage, and did business in numerous states and even places like Costa Rica and Belize.

CaliRestoration you make me laugh. You really do not know the business world, the financial world, and what makes things work in other places that California lacks. Beaches and warm weather year around in a small percentage of the state, cannot make up for the other problems the state has. Other progressive states that are improving life for their residents, are not seeing more American moving from their state to California, than are seeing people from those states to California. California is growing in population rapidly, with immigration and especially illegal immigration feeding the population growth. The huge growth of Americans flooding to California that started back in the 1930s, has turned into Americans fleeing California for opportunities that no longer exist in California for the majority of the people. I hate to see it happening there as I have lots of family there, and my family on both sides had all been in California since the 1800s.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:18 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
As the bigger the population the higher the GDP in modern countries and states, California should be the #1 GDP state in the country for GDP. It is only high in the world accounting due to it's shear number of people spending more money.

The true measure of a county and what is going on, is the GDP by a per capita basis. The United States falls to 19th place n the world, on a Per Capita Basis.

GDP Per Capita: Definition, Formula, Highest, Lowest,

On the health of the economy by state, California is 1 place ahead of Florida, and way behind Texas.

State Economy Ranking July 2015 - Business Insider

California should be #1: The most populous state, and far ahead of most states in population. In fact about 35 times the population of Montana, where we have more cows than people, and 7 Indian Reservations which are not prosperous under the control of the federal government. The state has all those harbors, and all the shipping in and out of the country which greatly increases their SDP (STATE DOMESTIC PRODUCT). Major employers such as Apple and HP. But they are not, with states like Texas ahead of them by far, and Florida one place behind them.

Now we come to the big determining factor, which median income for the state, adjusted for cost of living. This is where California really loses it. They are way behind all but all but 9 states including one place below Mississippi on of the poorest states in the country. Far behind places like Texas, Florida, and even my state of Montana, which has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. No wonder California has such a high poverty rate way ahead of any other state.

New State-Level Price Data Shows Smaller State Real Income Differences | Tax Foundation

I was born in California in 1931. I have lived from Eureka to San Diego and raised a family in the Silicon Valley. I have lived in the South, North East, Mid West, Southern Utah, Northwest, and Now Montana where my grandfather was born in 1967. I have been in 45 states including Hawaii and kind of know what is going on in the country. My question would be how many have you been in and lived in. I was transferred around the country living in several different states, in my Corporate life and when I got tired of moving around, quit the corporate life in 1972 to go into real estate brokerage, and did business in numerous states and even places like Costa Rica and Belize.

CaliRestoration you make me laugh. You really do not know the business world, the financial world, and what makes things work in other places that California lacks. Beaches and warm weather year around in a small percentage of the state, cannot make up for the other problems the state has. Other progressive states that are improving life for their residents, are not seeing more American moving from their state to California, than are seeing people from those states to California. California is growing in population rapidly, with immigration and especially illegal immigration feeding the population growth. The huge growth of Americans flooding to California that started back in the 1930s, has turned into Americans fleeing California for opportunities that no longer exist in California for the majority of the people. I hate to see it happening there as I have lots of family there, and my family on both sides had all been in California since the 1800s.
Must be pretty great having a grandpa who's 36 years younger than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California