Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
The magic never wears off, you have to live it and experience it to understand 28 75.68%
Yeah, it gets boring after staring at it everyday when i wake up 4 10.81%
I have no interest in living by the ocean, i'm a mountain kind of person 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I've been on and in the ocean from the equator to the sub polar areas.
Everything is a unique experience. The tropics feature good visibility but are less rich in plankton and upwelling is less pronounced. It's a trade off. I can enjoy a kelp forest just like I can enjoy coral in 85 degree water.
Plankton? I would not go scuba diving to see plankton. I observed plenty of beautiful underwater life and plants when I scuba dived in Kauai and Belize. Some of the best you can see...no wet-suit required.
Quote:
BTW - it is a big misconception that a wet suit is mandatory for all water activities in CA even in Nor Cal.
I guess you will have to take this up with the person who made that claim.
Quote:
For diving, yeah, you need it, because you are below the mixed layer and at times below the thermocline. For surfing you need it because there are stretches where you are in the water (at least partially) and not moving all that much, waiting for a set. Also, the wet suit is protection in a wipe out. However, for open water swimming, a wet suit is definitely an individual thing. I've never used one for open water swimming, even in places north of the Bay Area.
Yep just as I was saying...you need one here in my neck of the woods when you scuba dive, jet ski or to just want enjoy a nice swim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes! They also use if for relieving themselves!
Great Whites hate little brown logs (t**ds) in the water.....

Old 05-13-2016, 01:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
I could never get tired of this view!

Attached Thumbnails
How many of you guys actually see the ocean everyday? Does waking up to it get boring/not exciting after awhile?-south-end-kauai.jpg  

Old 05-13-2016, 02:06 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
I just have to walk to the street corner and look west and there is SF Ocean Beach not all that far away. Problem is, in northern half CA, living where you can see the ocean every day....means not being able to see the sun every day due to often overcast weather

Old 05-13-2016, 02:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But in the tropics, it's too warm to cool you off. The point is to relieve the heat of the day by swimming or splashing around.
Not really, I've always found the water in Hawaii refreshing and cooling. The water in NorCal just numbs you and puts you into a quasi-hypothermic shock lol.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:06 PM

381 posts, read 344,600 times
I lived in San Diego and went years at a time without going to the beach. People seem to think everyone in California hangs out at the beach all the time, but it's not true for most people. The traffic, parking, and hordes of people deter many from going. That and there are tons of other things to do.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
When I first moved to LA I couldn't get enough of the ocean. It never got old, except for the traffic and congestion and the parking in Venice sucks. So while my passion for the beach waned, my passion for the inland grew. CA has some underrated inland countryside that's just as breathtaking as the oceans. Now I spend most of my time looking for less well known less trendy places in CA. Instead of Nappa, I go to Temecula. Amazing town. I go to Solvang or some of the wineries out in santa clarita. I go to Newhall where the cowboy festival is. I mean I just love it.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
We are in a neighborhood a couple of miles from the bay and ocean, and while we can no longer see it from our house (used to have a peek view, but trees have grown- could still see it from the roof) but the ocean is easily seen from several streets adjacent to us down a view corridor to it and Mexico and I love the strong geographical context of the edge of the continent and the vastness of the largest ocean just down the hill from me.

I also work very close to the ocean and can see it from during my lunch break walks up in the hills just above it. I used to go rough water swimming very regularly in La Jolla Cove which I never took for granted- it is just freaking awesome and magical- sharks, seals, sea lions, dolphins, rays and schools of fish and the power of Mother Pacific all around you!- but I'm not much of a hang out at the beach for a whole day and rot in the sand kind of guy. More of a semi-regular visitor and swimmer, but I experience and appreciate the qualities of living next to the ocean every day. Just driving home from work and seeing the cruise ships, cargo ships and Navy ships cruise in in and out of the bay and out into the ocean as I loop into downtown and then into my neighborhood is a very cool thing.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:49 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I hardly ever go to the beach. I've driven along the coast a lot (I much prefer the 101 over the 5 even if it's a longer route), but I'm definitely more of a mountain person. I often wonder how I'd feel if I hadn't grown up here and lived in relatively close proximity to the ocean my entire life, but even going to the beach can be annoying - find a place to park, hope you don't burn your feet as sand gets into your sandals, lug your cooler, towels, umbrella, etc. across a long expanse of sand, choose a spot close to the ocean but not too close... And then for me, because I have very fair skin, slather on the sunscreen, wear a hat, and even then I still burn as my clothing shifts when I'm building a sand castle, etc. (I don't mean to be such a downer here, but obviously the beach isn't for everyone!)

However, I do have some lovely memories of my family and I enjoying Laguna Beach a long time ago. I went back a couple of years ago, and my favorite part of the day was sitting in quiet contemplation on a bench overlooking the beach and ocean from high above it all. I've been thinking of spending a vacation day there again later this summer.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
Two different questions.

How many of you get to see the ocean everyday? and for those live in a coastal property with ocean views, does the magic ever wear off?
I do everyday I'm in town. Everyday is different. An ocean view is never boring. It's a mystery to me why we build structures blocking access and views. IMO one of the reasons we have become so disconnected to the oceans health. It puts it over there, behind all the manmade stuff. Which must be of greater value. A true shame as watching the sunset is priceless. BTW, sometimes I set on the porch and watch the sunset. I notice before sunset, groups of people walking toward the beach zombie like. I never see groups returning after the sunsets.
I just returned from several days in the Sierra's around Mono County. I admit enjoying the mountains more.
And if I wasn't where I am, I'd be where I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California