Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I just bought a home in El Pescadero BCS, Mexico. $105K

1/3 of a mile to the Pacific. I may just enjoy my retirement.
Are you a dual citizen? I thought non citizens couldn't buy within 50 miles of the coast, or did you buy it in trust with a bank? Whichever, I envy you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 01:59 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
I've been considering leaving California for a few years now. I'm single with no children so I can get up and go. These are a few main reasons why I want to relocate:

1.) Too many people.
2.) Too much traffic
3.) Cost of living rapidly increasing
4.) Cost of opening a business very high

I want to relocate somewhere where I can get in my truck and go to a lake, river or ride my bicycle on back roads and don't have to worry about the large crowds/traffic. I want to live in a place where the pace is slower.

I like Southern Utah (St. George, Cedar City, Hurricane) and I like Southern Idaho (Twin Falls, Pocatello and surrounding area, Idaho Falls). Grass Valley and Nevada City up north near Sacramento are nice towns, too.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:04 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I've been considering leaving California for a few years now. I'm single with no children so I can get up and go. These are a few main reasons why I want to relocate:

1.) Too many people.
2.) Too much traffic
3.) Cost of living rapidly increasing
4.) Cost of opening a business very high

I want to relocate somewhere where I can get in my truck and go to a lake, river or ride my bicycle on back roads and don't have to worry about the large crowds/traffic. I want to live in a place where the pace is slower.

I like Southern Utah (St. George, Cedar City, Hurricane) and I like Southern Idaho (Twin Falls, Pocatello and surrounding area, Idaho Falls). Grass Valley and Nevada City up north near Sacramento are nice towns, too.
Your location is the Mohave trail? LOL If so, your 1 thru 4 reasons for relocating are not plausible IMO. I have driven the trail several times, tho admittedly do no live on it. Weekends I see a dozen vehicles a day. Weekdays, a couple and you are pretty much out there on your own. It is a 147 mile long trail.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mohave+trailds I see a dozen people, week days a couple folks over the 147 mile long trail.
From southern Utah and Idaho, well it's a long ways to anywhere different and there are a lot of tourists. Grass Valley/Nevada city are zoo's in the summer. But at least you can escape in a few hours to someplace totally different.
You really need to go explore where there is no crowds/traffic. Check out N.E Oregon, S.E. Washington, Central (panhandle of) Idaho.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
The op wants experiences not criticism of other posters I would think...

Last edited by Finper; 05-18-2016 at 05:59 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 05:34 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:40 PM

Thanks for thinking of our ass's Sydney. Did you spell it with $$ because you know we are going to cash out big time?

Old 05-18-2016, 05:56 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
Anyone care to share their experiences, whether you are considering leaving, planning to leave, or have already left?
Left years ago and dont miss it. Unless you:

A) are rich
B)own your own home free and clear and have an easy commute
C)have a custody order preventing you from leaving state
D)have a shot at an IPO with a tech company
E)are attending a school with opportunities unavailable elsewhere..
F) are allergic to even a day of cold weather

LEAVE! This is a big country with lots of great places. Tip: best places are west of the 100th meridian. Less humidity, bugs, and snow than east of there. Those are the biggest reasons people prefer cali (just using that to **** the weenies off) to the east coast and are afraid to leave. They assume that utah, colorado, new mexico, idaho, are going to have chicago weather. Hint: they dont.

Also im not claiming that slc, denver, boise, albuquerque, etc are all going to "boom" as they all face water problems. But they are good places to live now and if you cash out in cali, you will have fat cash to buy the same damn house in another state and live off the remainder for a few years.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Thanks for thinking of our ass's Sydney. Did you spell it with $$ because you know we are going to cash out big time?
I hope you do cash out big time! No sweat off me if you leave with a grip of dough.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:41 PM

Thanks Sydney. Where do you live in SM? I used to live on Lincoln Blvd across from St Monica's

Old 05-18-2016, 07:08 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
In 2003, I retired. I got tired of the California scene after living in the Bay Area for 45 years. Decided to move to a village in north-central New Mexico and spent the next 11 years there. No street lights. No stop lights. No traffic. No rat race. No access to good health care. No family nearby. No beach. No life-long friends. No reason to stay.

Now, I'm enjoying life in the San Diego area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California