Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:54 AM

32 posts, read 30,630 times

Advertisements

I actually read it wrong. There were over 60 orange days and 7 red days. So like 20% of the year has bad air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 11:18 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,486,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
The air quality on the monterey bay (where i live) was not good today and i felt it.
That's a ridiculous expectation. No place is going to be absolutely pristine every day of the year. Monterey Bay (Salinas, Santa Cruz, Monterey Peninsula) has some of the cleanest air in the country. I lived there for 11 years and occasionally there would be a wildfire or a freak 100F day when the air would get stagnant but in general it was excellent.

O.P., I have mild adult asthma. I live in the Sacramento Valley and while the air quality isn't great at times, the vast majority of the time its not nearly the problem I think you're working it up to be. Placer County isn't Bakersfield, Los Angeles or Riverside. You really need to visit this summer. That's when the ozone in California is going to be at its greatest. Go there for a week, check out some houses or whatever and see what you think. I would hate to see someone give up a good job opportunity from what they read on the internet from 3,000 miles away without even visiting the place.

You didn't respond to my first post either. Again, if you're husband were offered a job in Hot-lanta or Houston () would you be agonizing over this issue?

Last edited by BeauCharles; 06-04-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-04-2016, 11:33 AM

19,166 posts, read 16,585,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficklered View Post
Thank you. I am so sad. I was back up yesterday when I saw that Placer County only had 26 orange days last year. I thought I could get by with that if the rest of the year is fine. My husband is really not happy with me right now, as we were both so excited to move to a better place. I even spoke to someone at the pollution control there who said the air wasn't bad.
Remember that California sees a lot of wildfires. That affects air quality, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_California_wildfires

Old 06-04-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Remember that California sees a lot of wildfires. That affects air quality, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_California_wildfires
So is that potentially better for me? Or worse? I am an educated and fairly normal person usually, but I am going back and forth every five minutes on this. And if it happens at all, I am still thinking of making my husband commute 48 minutes from Yolo county, which has much, much better results. Only 9 orange and no red days last year. Thank you.

Last edited by ficklered; 06-04-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 12:40 PM

19,166 posts, read 16,585,247 times
Quote:
So is that potentially better for me? Or worse? I am an educated and fairly normal person usually, but I am going back and forth every five minutes on this. Thank you.
I understand your concern. It's not easy moving someplace you're don't know about so your questions are valid. I've lived in California since birth. I also have asthma, very mild case but still affected by pollutants.

Back in (if I remember correctly) 2010 California had at one point over 1,000 wildfires going on at the same time. The sky in my area was orange. I didn't leave the house for four days. It was miserable. Please. I'm not trying to scare you because there's nothing to frightened about. It's rare that the air quality is that bad but summers can be the worst and especially since we've been in a drought for five years. This year's rainfall has been better and the lakes are almost to full capacity (except down in southern California).

Placer county is very nice, especially Colfax. A little higher elevation than the other cities you mentioned in your original post. Summers can be the worst - because of fires. The information you read about last year's count was probably due to the Butte fire and one other in Lake County. Calaveras and Amador counties were affected badly by the Butte fire and the air quality was horrible all along the Sierra mountains. Evacuations and several deaths.

As someone who is a native to this state and also has minor respiratory problems, I wouldn't be alarmed to move to Placer county. In fact, I was just talking with a friend the other day who is moving to Nevada County (Grass Valley to be specific). If I could, I would do it too.

Seriously, Placer County is very nice. Take a trip out here before deciding. Now would be a good time, if possible.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:55 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,732,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
That's a ridiculous expectation. No place is going to be absolutely pristine every day of the year. Monterey Bay (Salinas, Santa Cruz, Monterey Peninsula) has some of the cleanest air in the country. I lived there for 11 years and occasionally there would be a wildfire or a freak 100F day when the air would get stagnant but in general it was excellent.

O.P., I have mild adult asthma. I live in the Sacramento Valley and while the air quality isn't great at times, the vast majority of the time its not nearly the problem I think you're working it up to be. Placer County isn't Bakersfield, Los Angeles or Riverside. You really need to visit this summer. That's when the ozone in California is going to be at its greatest. Go there for a week, check out some houses or whatever and see what you think. I would hate to see someone give up a good job opportunity from what they read on the internet from 3,000 miles away without even visiting the place.

You didn't respond to my first post either. Again, if you're husband were offered a job in Hot-lanta or Houston () would you be agonizing over this issue?
What's a ridiculous expectation? I don't have expectations re; air quality. I just feel it when it's not great and yesterday it sure wasn't.
I'm aware that the air is relatively good here. But if you look at the airnow map https://www.airnow.gov/ you just can't claim that it's "some of the cleanest air in the country". Often it is but not always.
And depending on how sensitive the o.p.'s system is it may or may not be a problem for her.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post

Sorry, I didn't see the bottom of your response until now. We do have tickets to visit in a couple weeks for three nights. Not sure about the other places you mentioned, but probably would be scared of crime....lol.... I will admit that I am a worrier, but this is a major decision. Quitting our jobs, selling our house, etc... to find a place we were hoping was better is very scary. It's a huge surprise that such a place of beauty and nature has this problem. Our swimming waters here in Florida are destroyed and we are very overdeveloped and anti-wildlife/environment with more on the way (which are the major reasons for our wanting to leave), but our air so far is good. Another question.....on the warnings, they say to stay inside. Does the ozone not affect people inside? That is a serious question...I didn't even know there was this problem up until a couple weeks ago.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:31 PM

174 posts, read 220,169 times
I moved here (Sacramento) from the Bay Area a little over 3 years ago. I never had allergies until this year. People warned me it would happen but I didn't believe them.

My Dad and his wife lived in Auburn about 10 years ago. The air quality was better then but still not great. It's worse now.

My vet has asthma which is exacerbated by the air quality (she and I were talking about this just yesterday morning).

I think the air quality in Auburn is only slightly better than Sacramento. If I had asthma that was affected by air quality I wouldn't move to this area. There are other areas with better air quality.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:22 PM

I just told my husband I don't want to go. We are devastated. You have no idea how badly we wanted to go to a place that's nicer than Florida. Hiking, waterfalls, outdoor time....that's what we wanted. But of course I have to breathe and have tendencies towards allergies and breathing issues (not to mention dry eyes). I feel especially bad for my husband as I also talked fondly about living in San Francisco in my 20s and how California is such a wonderful place. I don't even think we will visit for those 3 nights because issues tend to build up and may not be evident at first. Thank you everyone.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,507,029 times
Quote:
I just told my husband I don't want to go. We are devastated. You have no idea how badly we wanted to go to a place that's nicer than Florida. Hiking, waterfalls, outdoor time....that's what we wanted. But of course I have to breathe and have tendencies towards allergies and breathing issues (not to mention dry eyes). I feel especially bad for my husband as I also talked fondly about living in San Francisco in my 20s and how California is such a wonderful place. I don't even think we will visit for those 3 nights because issues tend to build up and may not be evident at first. Thank you everyone.
Being devastated means you said no to a dream out of fear. (The air really isn't that bad)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California