Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:52 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Being devastated means you said no to a dream out of fear. (The air really isn't that bad)
"Not that bad" (which i strongly disagree with) is not not at all o.k. for anyone who is very sensitive, is prone to allergies, has breathing issues, etc..
If a person is longing for clean air and clean water and it's very important to them, then it's not a crazy decision. To belittle someone for making such a difficult decision isn't so nice. The o.p. wants a more pristine environment. I don't blame her.
Ficklered, i hope that you and your husband have an opportunity to relocate to a place that meets your needs and wants. So sorry for your disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 30,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Being devastated means you said no to a dream out of fear. (The air really isn't that bad)
I totally agree that it's out of fear. And I'm not usually a fearful person....worrier, yes, but I almost always go after what I want without hesitation. Anyone who has had difficulty breathing for whatever reason though maybe could understand a little bit of this fear. It's so scary not be able to breathe right. It's pretty much the most important thing in life.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficklered View Post
I totally agree that it's out of fear. And I'm not usually a fearful person....worrier, yes, but I almost always go after what I want without hesitation. Anyone who has had difficulty breathing for whatever reason though maybe could understand a little bit of this fear. It's so scary not be able to breathe right. It's pretty much the most important thing in life.
You stated in your original post that you are allergic to dust, cats, etc. but generally fine. Perhaps your health isn't as good as you initially stated???

Old 06-06-2016, 04:25 AM

32 posts, read 30,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You stated in your original post that you are allergic to dust, cats, etc. but generally fine. Perhaps your health isn't as good as you initially stated???
I run, work out, and eat very healthy. For general purposes I am healthy for someone 45. I have some allergies, but nothing that affects me normally. I used to get allergy shots to raise my tolerance for animals in the family. I have been in the emergency room twice due to cats causing me not be able to breathe and have gotten wheezy in a hotel room once, so that's what I meant about understanding the feeling. It's only happened a handful of times in my life, but it's scary. Even when I saw Davis has good air, they said the allergens are bad for everyone. I know everyplace has its problems, but I can't imagine having to check the computer to see if I can go outside that day to run, etc..

Last edited by ficklered; 06-06-2016 at 05:22 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 06:28 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Yes, with concerns like that, you definitely should be careful. It's certainly going to impact where your husband can work, too. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 PM

174 posts, read 221,342 times
Quote:
I just told my husband I don't want to go. We are devastated. You have no idea how badly we wanted to go to a place that's nicer than Florida. Hiking, waterfalls, outdoor time....that's what we wanted. But of course I have to breathe and have tendencies towards allergies and breathing issues (not to mention dry eyes). I feel especially bad for my husband as I also talked fondly about living in San Francisco in my 20s and how California is such a wonderful place. I don't even think we will visit for those 3 nights because issues tend to build up and may not be evident at first. Thank you everyone.
FWIW I think you made the right decision, as painful as it is. I hope that once you move through the loss of this dream that you will continue to look for something. I'm sure it's out there.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:58 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,601 times
Quote:
I run, work out, and eat very healthy. For general purposes I am healthy for someone 45. I have some allergies, but nothing that affects me normally. I used to get allergy shots to raise my tolerance for animals in the family. I have been in the emergency room twice due to cats causing me not be able to breathe and have gotten wheezy in a hotel room once, so that's what I meant about understanding the feeling. It's only happened a handful of times in my life, but it's scary. Even when I saw Davis has good air, they said the allergens are bad for everyone. I know everyplace has its problems, but I can't imagine having to check the computer to see if I can go outside that day to run, etc..
Davis has good air? I guess it depends on what one means by "good". Davis (in Yolo county) is in the central valley.
It varies but there are locations in the valley that have very, very bad air. Generally speaking and for a number of reasons, the central valley of California does not have good air quality.

Here's a page with a map so that you can see where / what the central valley is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centra...ey_(California)

I've posted this a few times. It's constantly updated and a good way to get a sense of what's going on where re; air quality.
https://www.airnow.gov/

Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Your decision is probably the best one. I personally think you're being way too cautious without having all the facts or checking the place out, but from the general tone of your posts you probably would worry and obsess about it every day... whether its warranted or not. That in and of itself could trigger breathing problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California