Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 10:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Nope. Dangerous weapon, not in common use.

Blunt objects are not used in more mass shootings.
You need to take a little peek at what happened in Australia after their gun grab - blunt objects, knives and fire are used in most mass killings. You need to face the reality that it's not about the guns, it's about the intent to inflict terror, which can be done with any weapon. As proven in Australia. Where, by the way, crime has skyrocketed, since the citizens are not able to defend themselves.

You keep talking about "legal" reasons to own a gun - self-defense, of your person or your property, is a legal reason to own a gun.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:33 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
To the OP:

It will just be gridlock until one party controls both the senate and house.

---

*** Conservatives believe armed law abiding citizens are key to preventing mass losses in these tragic events because it would put a stop to the attacker(s) right when it starts.

*** Liberals believe in limiting certain weapons and buying options for legally purchased weapons because it would limit the amount of carnage and ease of availability when it starts.

*** Conservatives argue that just like weed, a criminal can get a hold of any gun they want through sellers, black markets etc, so only law abiding citizens will be hurt.

*** Liberals argue that having armed citizens would NOT result in less causalities and just make it easier for someone to carry out such attack.

---

Bottom line, both sides want to prevent these types of tragedies from happening, but because their ideas are polar opposite, nothing will get passed until one side controls everything.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:18 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Bottom line, both sides want to prevent these types of tragedies from happening,
I agree. Maybe you should tell this to CaliRestoration.

Quote:
but because their ideas are polar opposite, nothing will get passed until one side controls everything.
More moderates like myself are needed. Too many are far off to one side.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:36 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
I agree. Maybe you should tell this to CaliRestoration.

More moderates like myself are needed. Too many are far off to one side.
So banning one of the most popular sporting rifles in America makes you a moderate and protecting civil liberty makes you far off to one side.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So banning one of the most popular sporting rifles in America makes you a moderate and protecting civil liberty makes you far off to one side.
Yes. For one, semiautomatic rifles are obviously not very popular compared to a hunting rifle or a pistol.

And you're not "protecting civil liberty". Your position appears to be that NO limit can be imposed on the 2nd Amendment. You lose bowel control if anyone dares to suggest that X or Y weapon is not appropriate for civilian use or that background checks should be required for ALL gun purchases, even private sales. That's not moderate.

I'm one of the moderates: I support the right of civilians to kill in self defense. I support semiautomatic pistols, hunting rifles and shotguns. I don't support semiautomatic or fully automatic rifles for civilians.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:50 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
I'm one of the moderates: I support the right of civilians to kill in self defense. I support semiautomatic pistols
But why? They are responsible for 75% of all mass shootings in the U.S.

Crime study: Handguns, not 'assault rifles,' used in most mass shootings | Washington Examiner

The 2nd deadliest mass shooting in U.S history was committed with a handgun.

Why not just ban handguns too?

Old 06-23-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
But why?
The 2nd Amendment right to defend oneself.

Quote:
They are responsible for 75% of all mass shootings in the U.S.

Crime study: Handguns, not 'assault rifles,' used in most mass shootings | Washington Examiner
He's not correct, most used a semiautomatic rifle, hence the controversy.

See here: Weapons and mass shootings - The Washington Post

Edit: and this one: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0057.htm

Quote:
Why not just ban handguns too?
One weapon has a valid application for civilians, the other does not. Simple as that.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:30 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
The 2nd Amendment right to defend oneself.

He's not correct, most used a semiautomatic rifle, hence the controversy.

See here: Weapons and mass shootings - The Washington Post

Edit: and this one: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0057.htm

One weapon has a valid application for civilians, the other does not. Simple as that.
You should re read your own link where is states 29 or 151 guns used are rifles. Less than 25%.

At this point you are quibbling over a small fraction of homocides in America and want to restrict civil rights of hundreds of millions of people because of it. Your hoplophobia is showing. You could follow proposals I, and others have made in this and other threads that could actually reduce gun deaths, instead you stay fixated on your emotional over reaction.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
At this point you are quibbling over a small fraction of homocides in America
Explain that to families of victims in Orlando and Sandyhook.

Many of the parents of Sandyhook victims are hunters and want some kind of legislative action to reduce the chances of something like that happening again.

But then again, they must be lying about being hunters, because anybody who has handled a gun instantly becomes a gun nut. So anybody who disagrees with gun nuts and thinks there should be some kind of reasonable gun control is either an idiot or they have never touched a firearm before.

Quote:
Your hoplophobia is showing.
Please. I've handled weapons far more powerful than you ever have.

Of course I must be lying because my conclusion from that experience was not that every American should be allowed to walk down the streets of Manhattan with a fully automatic rifle.

: smack::s mack:

Old 06-23-2016, 07:10 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
Study: Gun homicides, violence down sharply in past 20 years - CNN.com

</thread>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California