Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 PM

15 posts, read 54,479 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I might be moving to this county soon and would like to know the best areas for walking. Specifically, a boardwalk, promenade or trail/park that can be measured in miles.

Ideally I look for a paved, mostly shaded path, but really anything will do!

Also, how safe is it for a youngish woman to walk alone? I noticed the violent crime rate is relatively high in SLO (especially for rapes) which is unsettling, but is that skewed because of Polytech? Or is there just a dangerous section?

I'm not sure which town I'll land in, but anything within a 10-15 minute drive is definitely do-able. I'd appreciate any tips!

Thanks ... : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:05 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,713 times
I don't know SLO county well. So i googled.

Hikes in San Luis Obispo | Hikespeak.com

And you know what helps us gals feel safe while walking / hiking? A really good dog.
Do you like dogs? A good size dog (and he/she doesn't have to be a typical guard) is a great companion and makes all walking and hiking so much better in so many ways. Just a thought. Woof.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,573 times
I attended Cal Poly SLO and was a part of a running group. Other than running around town, I can't think of any trails that are paved with a lot of shade. Here were my usual spots.

On campus, there is a trail shaded by many trees next to Poly Canyon. At the end of the trail, you can even see senior project exhibits and horses sometimes!

Drive south on 101 toward Pismo, and there is hill on your right handside. I forget which exit, but you'll see people running/hiking up the hill during the day. This trail has a lot of shade throughout, but there are unshaded parts. There's a steep decline if you run far enough, so be careful! You'll come across a cell phone tower as well.

Bishop Peak doesn't have much shade, but I recommend hiking it at some point. Park at 850 Patricia Drive to avoid the main parking lot, which can get crowded. This goes to the Felsman Loop.

Laguna Lake Park has some trails, not much shade either though.

I found this blog, which has more trails:
Trail Running In And Around San Luis Obispo, California

Hope this helps!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 PM

Thanks Joog!

I'll definitely check out the trails you recommended. The horses are a plus! The trail I walk on now has two horses at the very end and they've gotten to know me and meander up to the fence when they see me coming. It's a nice little treat I look forward to!

The blog mentions that most of the SLO trails are hilly (for anyone who's interested). I used to think that would be a drag, but after being forced to walk up a mountain where I am now, I actually prefer it. Moral: don't knock it till you try it!

: )

Old 07-11-2016, 11:01 PM

Thanks bsw!

Hikespeak is a great resource I didn't know about. I have to figure out how to add a trail on there because it didn't list a good one I know of in OC.

I love dogs! ... but not the clean-up part so I'll just keep relying on my ninja skills, lol

: )

Old 07-12-2016, 05:10 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,370 times
Here's the google result of a search on " Walking Trails in San Luis Obispo County " : https://www.google.com/search?q=Walk...utf-8&oe=utf-8

All of the links look full of useful info.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Couple of ideas for you: Morro Bay State Park in Morro Bay is 12 miles from SLO. The park is in town along the shores of the Bay estuary - where there is a boardwalk at the little marina that is very nice along the marsh. Not particularly shady, but Morro Bay is rarely hot even when SLO temps are high. But also, behind the park is Black Hill and the State Park golf course. There are several great, nicely shaded trails from the campground up Black Hill. Even if you don't want the steeper part of the climb up the Hill, the lower sections of trails can give a mile or two here and there through secluded forests dappled with sunlight to cheer. Very few people. Not paved, but mostly fine, sandy trail. I hike there frequently and in bare feet.

Another delightful walk, with parts in shade, is the Elfin Forest along the Los Osos / Baywood hill rise on the Bay shores. You find the Forest access along numerous dead-end numbered streets (16th Ave, 17th Ave, etc.) off of Santa Ysabel Ave in Los Osos. Zero in on your map from South Bay Blvd along the Bay estuary to find Santa Ysabel Ave. The Elfin Forest is a preserve of fascinating, characterful dwarf oaks overlooking the Bay. Much of the trails are boardwalk. Some are sand. (More barefoot walking opportunity ) The trails have overlooks and also wind through the shady dwarf trees. Also safe and never crowded. Yes, dogs can walk there with.

A few miles further through Los Osos / Baywood is one of California's biggest State park preserves: Montana de Oro. While most of the park is open and without forest, along the coastal shores and hills, several miles of beautiful forest, with trails, are along the access road as you drive in. There are lots of equestrian trails and activity in Montana de Oro. Your dog probably not welcome on the equestrian trails. But there are walking trails as well.

Bonus to both Montana de Oro forest and Morro Bay State Park campground forest is they are major Monarch butterfly habitat. If you go when the Monarchs are gathering you will be delighted to be surrounded by swarms of butterflies as you walk.

There are more hikes, as well. Just thought of these in particular for you to explore.

Pretty much no sketchy people to be concerned with in Morro Bay and Los Osos, by the way. I can't imagine anyone being in danger walking alone any of these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California