Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 03:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times

Advertisements

California has seen since 1970 and 2016 and projected into 2040 a huge shift in demographics. California White Middle Class population has been fleeing the state and this will continue in the foreseeable future.

While the white middle class has been fleeing the state, the Hispanic population has increased 600% and growing.

http://www.cdss.ca.gov/research/res/...rendsFinal.pdf

In California average white worker, earns 3 times what the average Hispanic worker earns.

!/3rd of all Federal Welfare funds are spent in California with by far the highest poverty rate in the country when adjusted for inflation with nearly 1/4th of the households living in poverty.

Quote:
I just love reading anecdotal (some of you may have to look that word up) stories about folks leaving CA. Last data I saw, CA had a net increase in population.
What they are talking about in those stories is the fact, that the People from California are migrating to other states, at a faster rate than they are moving from other states to California. What is increasing the population, is immigration from other countries to California, which is more than making up for the net migration loss between states. Illegal immigration to California is a big factor, and the birth rate of these new immigrants.

Here is an in depth study showing about 1990, when the migration between states turned negative for California, and the increase in population to replace those that left the state in excess of the ones coming to California from other states was replaced by immigration from other countries.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/pdf/cr_71.pdf

This article points out that the White population has been fleeing the state since 1970, while the Hispanic population has grown by 600%.

Interesting article

Blog: Money's leaving California in a hurry

$15 Minimum Wage Sends California Businesses Fleeing | The Daily Caller

Here is an article about a company in the process of leaving California. In an industry that has increased 64%, California has seen employment in the field decline by 40% since 2004 as companies flee the state.

White middle class has been fleeing the state, following the trends that allow them to live better.

A major reason people are fleeing California as they understand it is one of highest paying states, but after adjusting for cost of living, it is 5th worst in the entire country to make a living if you can find a good job.

On the other hand the state so many Californians are fleeing to Texas is 5th best state to make a living.

For 2016 Grads, These Are the Best and Worst States to Make a Living In | Fox Business

Ahead of $15 minimum wage, 1 company leaves California for Texas | 89.3 KPCC

Census: Hispanics overtake whites to become California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 03:21 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
I'm another "maker" leaving. Will be packing up my small business and move out of here the day my lease is up.

Tired of the high COL and taxes.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:21 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Older generations any way. Nothing like rolling through random parts of TX and NM and running into persons in their 40s-60s that claim some random suburb of LA or SF from 20-30 years ago.

Meanwhile, the pretty and bright people from the areas they're moving to still seem to have the coastlines in their sights.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:27 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'm a senior citizen on SS and I can afford to live in California. I just don't buy a new car every year.
I think your location in CA makes that possible.The referenced Mercury News article is largely applies to the Bay Area and perhaps other coastal areas extending down to LA & SD area

Old 06-25-2016, 03:32 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Good riddance

Old 06-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I think your location in CA makes that possible.The referenced Mercury News article is largely applies to the Bay Area and perhaps other coastal areas extending down to LA & SD area
I make $12/hr and I can afford my share of the rent. I really don't know how people complain who make like 10x what I do. I make $16k, and I can live here, so if you make $160k you can definitely live here. Note that "being able to live here" is not the same as "being able to buy a single family house here". If you make a middle class income you cannot expect to be able to afford the same housing as someone who makes 300k or over a million.

(note...to those who have implied that they can't read the above statement correctly...I am NOT griping about my pay, I am saying if you make 10x more, I am complaining about YOU griping about YOUR pay.)

Old 06-25-2016, 04:12 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
California has seen since 1970 and 2016 and projected into 2040 a huge shift in demographics. California White Middle Class population has been fleeing the state and this will continue in the foreseeable future.

While the white middle class has been fleeing the state, the Hispanic population has increased 600% and growing.

http://www.cdss.ca.gov/research/res/...rendsFinal.pdf

In California average white worker, earns 3 times what the average Hispanic worker earns.

!/3rd of all Federal Welfare funds are spent in California with by far the highest poverty rate in the country when adjusted for inflation with nearly 1/4th of the households living in poverty.

What they are talking about in those stories is the fact, that the People from California are migrating to other states, at a faster rate than they are moving from other states to California. What is increasing the population, is immigration from other countries to California, which is more than making up for the net migration loss between states. Illegal immigration to California is a big factor, and the birth rate of these new immigrants.

Here is an in depth study showing about 1990, when the migration between states turned negative for California, and the increase in population to replace those that left the state in excess of the ones coming to California from other states was replaced by immigration from other countries.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/pdf/cr_71.pdf

This article points out that the White population has been fleeing the state since 1970, while the Hispanic population has grown by 600%.

Interesting article

Blog: Money's leaving California in a hurry

$15 Minimum Wage Sends California Businesses Fleeing | The Daily Caller

Here is an article about a company in the process of leaving California. In an industry that has increased 64%, California has seen employment in the field decline by 40% since 2004 as companies flee the state.

White middle class has been fleeing the state, following the trends that allow them to live better.

A major reason people are fleeing California as they understand it is one of highest paying states, but after adjusting for cost of living, it is 5th worst in the entire country to make a living if you can find a good job.

On the other hand the state so many Californians are fleeing to Texas is 5th best state to make a living.

For 2016 Grads, These Are the Best and Worst States to Make a Living In | Fox Business

Ahead of $15 minimum wage, 1 company leaves California for Texas | 89.3 KPCC

Census: Hispanics overtake whites to become California
The economic output of CA far exceeds any other state and will likely remain that way. CA has most billionaires....3x TX. CA perhaps can be thought of two states. The coastal regions that provide high paying jobs, attract well educated immigrants from countries such as India & China, attract foreign investment.... such as from the wealthy class in China, attract those within the USA who happen to have the education and skills that pay well enough to be able to make it in what is perceived as the desirable areas of CA....such as the Bay Area. Then there are other areas of CA......
I would like to move myself.....the Bay Area is rather expensive for my moderate income in retirement and I have grown tired of all the heavy traffic & noise. I would likely stay in CA though

httphttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDPs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._states_by_GDP

Old 06-25-2016, 04:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I was also raised in a comfortable lifestyle but what difference does that make? A degree is great but knowing how to spell is even greater. Just saying - just saying. Thank you for being a nurse.
LOL ditto *snickers*

Old 06-25-2016, 04:17 PM

63 posts, read 61,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
I'm an engineer and can easily afford to live in CA. Think it's the lower middle class that are leaving. However they are getting replaced by Asians and other immigrants that think CA is cheap compared to where they came from.
I'd understand if that was coming from immigrants from Scandinavia or certain parts of China (Hong Kong), but Asians thinking CA is cheaper? The whole lot of China, Korea, Japan, and virtually all of south/southeast Asia is ridiculously cheaper than CA. Lower taxes, lower cost of living, etc. In California you have a higher wage, with an even higher cost of living and generally more taxes.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:22 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
I'd understand if that was coming from immigrants from Scandinavia or certain parts of China (Hong Kong), but Asians thinking CA is cheaper? The whole lot of China, Korea, Japan, and virtually all of south/southeast Asia is ridiculously cheaper than CA.
That is not true. When I was in SK, it was ridiculously expensive for housing, and it has gotten even crazier. Plus the environment in some Chinese and Korean cities is abysmal, and these ppl want a future for their kids. You can get a big house in CA for what an apartment costs in some asian cities. This is my experience from working in the most expensive part of Seoul. Breathing the air was like smoking two packs of ciggies a day, and I've heard it is worse now, and Chinese cities are even more dire.

Also ppl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I just love reading anecdotal (some of you may have to look that word up) stories about folks leaving CA. Last data I saw, CA had a net increase in population.
Right on. LOL people are still moving to CA and when I was there recently, the residents loved it. There was just one person planning to move...to washington state. That figures, they are a big destination for people as well. There are a lot of takers I guess, but that is because there are a sh_t TON of rich people living in CA and the weather is not harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California