Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 02:31 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

We left for many reasons, the most pressing was that the subprime, stated income mortgage fiasco that started the crash, turned our pleasant neighborhood of 20+ years into a third-world ghetto. All the oldtimers took the money & ran. Just about every house was trashed & in foreclosure & the area never did return to what it once was. Then we factored in that just about everyone we knew was no longer there..they had also moved from CA, or died. Also, San Diego itself had gotten too crowded, too expensive, & the weather changed. The effects of the drought were very noticeable, long before the current drought was declared.

We moved to a place where we knew no one & it has been very difficult but I know I could never go back...& I'm a native Southern Californian who thought I would never leave.

Now if I could only convince my kid & their spouse to leave the Bay Area. They moved there for grad school & are high earners, but due to INSANE Bay Area costs, they still can't buy even a craphole of a house. They need to get out while they can & take their talents to a place that deserves them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 02:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

The problem with California is that it's becoming increasingly less diverse. Aerospace lost 190,000 jobs since the mid-90s. Agriculture is dying because of the drought, and manufacturing has died due to the regulatory cost.
This is true.

In the past immigrants like the Irish, Polish, etc would be in a small community but within a generation or two the majority of kids were integrated. While some are, and even marrying others of a different ethnicity, the ethnic communities are becoming larger and less diverse and the majority do not appear to be integrating at all. I did note that the Asians did integrate a bit more, but the Middle Eastern are divided between the well off, and the less affluent and the less affluent are far less integrated, even after several generations. The idea of a more diverse population is fine, but it isn't working very well. The difference between what some want and reality.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:49 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
As far as California Democrats go, Brown is great and has historically been somewhat fiscally conservative. The cons complain about him all day long on this forum. They don't even know how bad it could really get.

But Governor Brown was much more of a fiscal conservative than Governor Reagan, even if he made arguments for austerity that the Republican would never use.

Five Faces of Jerry Brown | The American Conservative
I'm not a right wing conservative, more of a centrist libertarian, but I don't have many bad things to say about Brown's second run at governor (his first I have plenty of "bad" to say). He hung his hat on the wrong horses in terms of bringing new industries to California, but at least he didn't tax and spend the state deeper into a death spiral like many expected him to do.

He handled the hand he got in 2008 and the state didn't become Detroit. That being said, we could have 20 Jerry Browns or Reagan's for that matter, the governor seat means very little in the grand scheme of California politics. When the Senate and Assembly are as *******ed as they've been for the past 20 years, there's no coming back.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:29 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Good luck cali when all the gun owners leave, thanks to the multiple gun control bills passed today.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:31 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Good luck cali when all the gun owners leave, thanks to the multiple gun control bills passed today.

Don't know why all the fuss about gun violence these past couple years..

From the *******s themselves Clinton News Network

Study: Gun homicides, violence down sharply in past 20 years

Study: Gun homicides, violence down sharply in past 20 years - CNN.com

Old 07-01-2016, 04:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Older generations any way. Nothing like rolling through random parts of TX and NM and running into persons in their 40s-60s that claim some random suburb of LA or SF from 20-30 years ago.

Meanwhile, the pretty and bright people from the areas they're moving to still seem to have the coastlines in their sights.
To be fair: what DOES wreck any place is when nurses, cops, firefighters and teachers are priced OUT; especially when illegal aliens are allowed to stay. Toss their despicable illegal kind out and many "bad" areas would be worth living in again by Americans and legal aliens.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:40 PM

271 posts, read 214,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I'm not a right wing conservative, more of a centrist libertarian, but I don't have many bad things to say about Brown's second run at governor (his first I have plenty of "bad" to say). He hung his hat on the wrong horses in terms of bringing new industries to California, but at least he didn't tax and spend the state deeper into a death spiral like many expected him to do.

He handled the hand he got in 2008 and the state didn't become Detroit. That being said, we could have 20 Jerry Browns or Reagan's for that matter, the governor seat means very little in the grand scheme of California politics. When the Senate and Assembly are as *******ed as they've been for the past 20 years, there's no coming back.
Yes but imagine if there was a far left governor in addition to the assembly.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:55 PM

282 posts, read 618,302 times
https://www.amazon.com/Mexifornia-Be.../dp/1893554732

Old 07-02-2016, 07:50 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Don't know why all the fuss about gun violence these past couple years..
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide/
That article is three years old.

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2016: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation | Mother Jones

Last edited by CA4Now; 07-02-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 10:00 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is true.

In the past immigrants like the Irish, Polish, etc would be in a small community but within a generation or two the majority of kids were integrated. While some are, and even marrying others of a different ethnicity, the ethnic communities are becoming larger and less diverse and the majority do not appear to be integrating at all. I did note that the Asians did integrate a bit more, but the Middle Eastern are divided between the well off, and the less affluent and the less affluent are far less integrated, even after several generations. The idea of a more diverse population is fine, but it isn't working very well. The difference between what some want and reality.
When the poster wrote "the problem is California is becoming less diverse", s/he meant less economically / business diverse - not ethnically.

That said, California is not becoming less economically diverse. It has the most diverse economic base in the nation. Yes, you can look that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California