Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 07:13 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
That's nice and all but I wouldn't live there. I have standards
Your standards are wherever mommy and daddy live. Perhaps if you lived on your own, people would take you more seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Standards don't mean much unless you have the bank account or credit limit to pay for them

Old 07-07-2016, 07:52 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Standards don't mean much unless you have the bank account or credit limit to pay for them
Because "standards" are always about / controlled by money, right?

Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Silicon Valley became the tech juggernaut it is today based on the following attributes. An unoffensive climate only sweetened the pot.
  • First rate universities with top computer science programs
  • VC density
  • Semiconductor manufacturing
  • The Traitorous Eight
  • Other happenstance coincidences

As Paul Graham (the founder of Y Combinator) says:
What it takes is the right people. If you could get the right ten thousand people to move from Silicon Valley to Buffalo, Buffalo would become Silicon Valley.
No because no
One wants to live in buffalo because it's either burning hot or freezing cold. It's the same reason new haven is cheap despite having yale
OP, I suggest research and proper due diligence before rebutting with "No" as your argument. This is factual information which should be used as fuel for thought.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:38 AM

With historic high housing prices and cost of living in general in the Bay Area at this point, now is probably more than ever an opportunity for other cities to gain more of a thriving tech industry versus the past.
I listened to an interview with Steve Case (founder of AOL) he did recently, and it was interesting as he was talking about how there are all these startups in other cities now, and that one smart thing to do is start a company outside of Silicon Valley, but then sell it to silicon valley because you can get a higher valuation in the Bay Area.

It's really a great interview
Ep. 164

He mentions how he turned down an offer to get bought out of AOL for about 200 million or so and everyone though he was nuts..The value of AOL went up to about $160 Billion at one point!

His belief is that great tech companies can be anywhere , not just one area
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/238366

Old 07-07-2016, 12:19 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
With historic high housing prices and cost of living in general in the Bay Area at this point, now is probably more than ever an opportunity for other cities to gain more of a thriving tech industry versus the past.
I listened to an interview with Steve Case (founder of AOL) he did recently, and it was interesting as he was talking about how there are all these startups in other cities now, and that one smart thing to do is start a company outside of Silicon Valley, but then sell it to silicon valley because you can get a higher valuation in the Bay Area.

It's really a great interview
Ep. 164

He mentions how he turned down an offer to get bought out of AOL for about 200 million or so and everyone though he was nuts..The value of AOL went up to about $160 Billion at one point!

His belief is that great tech companies can be anywhere , not just one area
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/238366
Sure they can, but you're ignoring a lot of the reasons why there's a tech epicenter in the Bay Area to begin with. Which include (but is not limited to):
  • Stanford and Berkeley's presence (and their VERY IP-friendly environment, especially in Stanford's case)
  • intellectually-focused and open-minded culture,
  • more VC money than most other parts of the US combined,
  • critical mass of talent (and jobs right now) allowing for employee mobility and makes it easy for employers to find new people quickly...

Weather, scenery, culture, etc. are things that make the Bay Area/SF attractive overall (and are why it'll generally probably always be more expensive than the rest of the US) - but the tech economy is centered there for other reasons.

Until another place can replicate these tech culture qualities with some success, I don't see the Bay Area relinquishing this title anytime soon. A few companies setting up satellite (or even their HQ) outside of the Bay Area doesn't mean that the Bay Area isn't still the epicenter for this industry...you need much more significant change than that.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's impossible to change - I just think it'll be REALLY hard to change, and I don't see it happening anytime soon (within the next 20-40 years, at least...Far off in the future when robotics and AI can replicate human activity...all rules change).

Old 07-07-2016, 12:44 PM

I understand what you are saying and you make good points. I guess the thing is that while Silicon Valley is still the epicenter of tech, it's not the only game in America is what I'm saying. Not that some other city will eclipse it in the foreseeable future.

Also there are some people not really into the culture of Silicon Valley even if they are techies.
Some techies prefer the culture of Austin or L.A
There are also people making great salaries in Silicon Valley, but still struggle with the high housing costs.

It is kind of funny though how many cities are now claiming to have the 'Next Silicon Valley '

Old 07-07-2016, 03:04 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying and you make good points. I guess the thing is that while Silicon Valley is still the epicenter of tech, it's not the only game in America is what I'm saying. Not that some other city will eclipse it in the foreseeable future.

Also there are some people not really into the culture of Silicon Valley even if they are techies.
Some techies prefer the culture of Austin or L.A
There are also people making great salaries in Silicon Valley, but still struggle with the high housing costs.

It is kind of funny though how many cities are now claiming to have the 'Next Silicon Valley '
Yeah, in this way, I agree with you.

And yes, housing is a gigantic issue right now in the Bay Area - one that is frankly getting in the way of growth - and is really beneficial to other areas hoping to attract talent away from Silicon Valley.

We've already seen this with other cities attracting talent/companies away (Austin, Seattle, LA, Boston, and other metros less well known in that space), and it'll keep happening as long as housing costs are so asinine here.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:07 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Yeah, in this way, I agree with you.

And yes, housing is a gigantic issue right now in the Bay Area - one that is frankly getting in the way of growth - and is really beneficial to other areas hoping to attract talent away from Silicon Valley.

We've already seen this with other cities attracting talent/companies away (Austin, Seattle, LA, Boston, and other metros less well known in that space), and it'll keep happening as long as housing costs are so asinine here.
Those places aren't having any effect on here. Housing is still ridiculous

Old 07-07-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Those places aren't having any effect on here. Housing is still ridiculous
Yeah but attracting talent away also isn't a good thing for the Bay Area or CA.

There is a saying Rome wasn't built in a day
The same with Silicoln Valley , and it will be the same with other cities
Look at China, people weren't paying attention and out of nowhere they became a massive economy
People only thought it happened overnight because they weren't paying attention .

I guarantee there's a city out there now that nobody is taking seriously and will be considered an important city in the next decades .
You look at history and throughout the world this has been true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California