Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:36 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah but attracting talent away also isn't a good thing for the Bay Area or CA.

There is a saying Rome wasn't built in a day
The same with Silicoln Valley , and it will be the same with other cities
Look at China, people weren't paying attention and out of nowhere they became a massive economy
People only thought it happened overnight because they weren't paying attention .

I guarantee there's a city out there now that nobody is taking seriously and will be considered an important city in the next decades .
You look at history and throughout the world this has been true
I can't wait for our Huns/vandals to tear down our Rome and make us affordable again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 05:44 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I can't wait for our Huns/vandals to tear down our Rome and make us affordable again
There is no next Silicon Valley Perma Bear.

What i expect is SV will continue it's domination but some cities will pick up some of talent but not very significant.

Just as usual.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:24 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
There is no next Silicon Valley Perma Bear.

What i expect is SV will continue it's domination but some cities will pick up some of talent but not very significant.

Just as usual.
I made a similar thread before. The general concensus was that it would spread into Gilroy first before it would head anywhere else. That is a long time away. Sonoma County is still growing as well as the East Bay. There is no need for companies to locate to such a rural area.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:55 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Then your salary would be proportionately lower and you still couldn't afford a SFH.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Then your salary would be proportionately lower and you still couldn't afford a SFH.
No it wouldn't. My salary is the same
No matter where I move.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
No matter where I move.
Lots of people got their salaries cut , or furloughed during recession. If " Rome got torn down " I have a feeling it wouldn't be great for the economy.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:16 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
No matter where I move.
I thought you were a non-military government worker. If so then your salary would depend on whatever the local government is paying. So you would get less in Kansas than you would in New York City.

If there were an economic crash and everyone's salary fell, the government would get less tax income and therefore they would have to reduce government servant pay. At point everyone serving the state of California was getting IOUs instead of paychecks.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I thought you were a non-military government worker. If so then your salary would depend on whatever the local government is paying. So you would get less in Kansas than you would in New York City.

If there were an economic crash and everyone's salary fell, the government would get less tax income and therefore they would have to reduce government servant pay. At point everyone serving the state of California was getting IOUs instead of paychecks.
That's not the case for all branches of the federal or local government. There are agencies that have flat pay

Old 07-10-2016, 01:06 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
"When Global Warming happens..." it will be at even more tsunami risk than it is now
Uhh . . . you do realize that tsunamis are of tectonic/earthquake origin and not a product of weather and climate?

Old 07-10-2016, 01:12 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Near the California coast exists a bastion of affordability. It's got a climate that is similar to San Francisco and has many hills and Victorian homes. Know where it is? You're right, it's the Eureka/Arcata/Fortuna area! Cool and mild even during the most brutal summers this place has potential. When Global Warming happens it'll still have a mild climate but will begin to resemble LA weather more while SF and LA become uninhabitable.
Humboldt Counties climate is NOT like San Francisco.

Arcata/Eureka has nearly twice the rainfall as San Francisco.

And global warming is already happening, and has been happening for the past century. And while not with consequence, the consequences will not be dramatic enough to make a major movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California