Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,116 times

Advertisements

Please help. Single mom moving to UC Merced area to be closer to my only child that will be starting there in the fall. Would love to rent a house in a quiet, "crime free", scenic place. I will need work and I dont drive in the fog. Can anyone tell me the best towns or areas to look at? Also, what is the average rent for a small home? Would love to live in Mariposa but I hear there is not much work. I have office experience, property mgmt experience, and would love to work with small children. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 12:44 PM

569 posts, read 671,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetogarden View Post
Please help. Single mom moving to UC Merced area to be closer to my only child that will be starting there in the fall. Would love to rent a house in a quiet, "crime free", scenic place. I will need work and I dont drive in the fog. Can anyone tell me the best towns or areas to look at? Also, what is the average rent for a small home? Would love to live in Mariposa but I hear there is not much work. I have office experience, property mgmt experience, and would love to work with small children. Any ideas?
I would suggest looking at UC Merced for jobs. There is a real push to expand the university in the next few years. Not sure how you are getting out of driving in fog there. I have heard it is pretty gnarly. However, someone from the area would have a better idea how foggy it gets.

I work for the UC and checked out out their jobs and housing. Despite having FAR few students and FAR lower cost of living they pay more than my campus (SB). Didn't see anything I want to do but there are a few jobs open. The rentals are pretty low compared to what I have now. I could rent something (a house) in the $1200-$1700 range (lower than what I pay).

All that said, is your child thrilled mom is moving to college with them? Seems like a good time to let your child spread their wings rather than following them.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:07 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
UC Merced, Merced Community College, Merced Unified School District, City of Merced, Merced Hospital just off the top of my head. As far as rents go check the adds in the Merced Sun-Star online. My guess for a small home would be about $1,000, but they're generally in older neigbhorhoods. North Merced is the newest area and I'd guess a typical subdivision home there would be from about $1,500 to $2,000 a month.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:17 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Here are a few currently on the market;

https://hotpads.com/merced-ca/houses-for-rent

https://merced.craigslist.org/search/apa?housing_type=6

Old 06-28-2016, 03:25 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetogarden View Post
I'm sorry for your situation. Might want to invest in air conditioning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: