Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times

Advertisements

I'm not a building contractor, so I can't give you a definitive answer. But, nothing is 100% fireproof and wild fires can reach incredibly high temperatures. In the 2007 fire here, shipping containers being used for storage and/or outbuildings in my community were severely damaged. You'd probably need to not have windows, as they are a primary way that wildfires get into structures. Also, if metal/steel were heated on the outside, the exterior might survive, but my hunch is that it would act as an oven and cook whatever is inside in a wild fire. Obviously, this is just a guess on my part; you'd need to talk to a materials engineer who could advise you. But, as I said, nothing is 100% fireproof -- even "fire proof" safes can melt in the extremes of a wild fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 PM

706 posts, read 757,458 times
Okay, thank you. I appreciate your honest opinions.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Thanks again, Rosie. I'm sorry to hear about your relative's house.

How well do you think shipping-container houses would stand up to the fires and quakes in the region? If you don't know what those are, there's an example below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D4WHT2F0JA
For fire it's pretty simple, remove the fuel. You want clear space and lot's of it around a structure. A non flammable structure, like brick/rock and motar with thick walls and a metal/tile roof. Idea being little/nothing to burn.
Or a berm house thats mostly underground....https://www.google.com/search?q=berm...xCBFUQ_AUIBigB ......... All weak in a major earthquake is the problem.
Joined shipping containers with a sod roof in a big clear space is a good idea. Not very attractive but could/should hold up very well to fires and quakes. But the more you join together, the more damage they will receive in a major quake. Movement will pull them apart where they are joined and the bigger/more cut out areas you have the weaker the box. You need to talk to structural engineers in the earthquake field on the matter.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:58 PM

706 posts, read 757,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For fire it's pretty simple, remove the fuel. You want clear space and lot's of it around a structure. A non flammable structure, like brick/rock and motar with thick walls and a metal/tile roof. Idea being little/nothing to burn.
Or a berm house thats mostly underground....https://www.google.com/search?q=berm...xCBFUQ_AUIBigB ......... All weak in a major earthquake is the problem.
I kind of like the idea of earth bermed houses, as long as I could bring in plenty of natural light somehow. I've even seen an underground shipping container house on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0oFJ2jbkDI

Quote:
Joined shipping containers with a sod roof in a big clear space is a good idea. Not very attractive but could/should hold up very well to fires and quakes. But the more you join together, the more damage they will receive in a major quake. Movement will pull them apart where they are joined and the bigger/more cut out areas you have the weaker the box. You need to talk to structural engineers in the earthquake field on the matter.
Maybe it would be better to just have several single or double shipping containers on a piece of land instead of joining all of them together.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:35 AM

New fire in Santa Clarita has grown to 3500 acres in just a few hours, with evacuations. Looks nasty - hope the weather cooperates tomorrow so the fire fighters can get a handle on it. Thinking of everyone who lives in that area.

Brush fire burns more than 3,300 acres near Santa Clarita - LA Times

There's also a sizable fire burning on Camp Pendleton, but what else is new? They seem to have fires on a regular basis.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:45 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,438 times
more on Sand fire... InciWeb the Incident Information System: CALIFORNIA Incidents

wow....http://ktla.com/2016/07/23/3300-acre...ons-in-effect/

Last edited by sourdough; 07-23-2016 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 01:20 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
^^ It's only 10% contained, and apparently it's already over 95 degrees in that area right now, around noon. Horrible.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
^^ It's only 10% contained, and apparently it's already over 95 degrees in that area right now, around noon. Horrible.
Yikes. Just checked the news -- it's over 11,000 acres as of 2 p.m. today. Think about that for a moment: it started around 2 yesterday, and in 24 hours it has burned 11,000 acres and is not even close to containment. Currently, 1000 homes threatened.
Sand Fire Grows to 11,000 Acres in Santa Clarita Area, Is 10% Contained; 1,000 Homes Threatened | KTLA

Old 07-23-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yikes. Just checked the news -- it's over 11,000 acres as of 2 p.m., with 1000 homes threatened. Think about that for a moment: it started at 2 yesterday, so in 24 hours it's burned through 11,000 acres and is no where near containment. Hope they get a handle on it soon.
Sand Fire Grows to 11,000 Acres in Santa Clarita Area, Is 10% Contained; 1,000 Homes Threatened | KTLA

Old 07-23-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Yikes. Just checked the news -- it's over 11,000 acres as of 2 p.m., with 1000 homes threatened. Think about that for a moment: it started at 2 yesterday, so in 24 hours it's burned through 11,000 acres and is no where near containment. Hope they get a handle on it soon.

I also just realized that there was another fire in the Santa Clarita area a few weeks ago (Note: this is NOT the fire that is currently burning! Giant Santa Clarita fire still dangerous: 85% contained, evacuations ended - MyNewsLA.com) I wonder if the two are related in any way? Anyone know how close that fire was to where today's fire is located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California