Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 03:04 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
What is the difference between confiscating and making something illegal to own that is currently legal?
Well, it is illegal to have a car without a carburetor unless it is one of those "classic" cars with a special plate. But the CHP doesn't go door to door checking to see if your car meets emission standards and confiscating it if it does not, lol. Come on man, be reasonable. So many people on this site are stereotypical gun nuts. Do you guys listen to yourselves? lol.

Quote:
As it is illegal to sell a magazine over ten rounds in California leaving the only option to turn them into the police against your will (confiscation) without compensation (constitutionally illegal).
I'm pretty sure it is legal for the government to say X is now illegal to possess without having to compensate people if they confiscate X illegal object. But I'm open to being educated on that.

Quote:
A responsible gun owner can use a magazine over ten rounds in self defense. If that wasn't a good idea then police officers would carry handguns with magazines over ten rounds for protection.
Dude, come on! You don't understand why law enforcement and the military would need different weapons than a civilian??

The role of law enforcement is completely different from a civilian defending themselves. Law enforcement has to, for example, go into the base of operations for gangs and potentially kill dozens of criminals. In the military, we attack and are attacked by other military units.

As a civilian, when are you going to fire your weapon in self defense more than ten times during one incident? Please. If you do find yourself in that situation, you can simply drop the magazine and load another. In the military it is called "combat reload" (at least that's what the Navy called it when I was trained to do it in under two seconds).

Yes, I realize a mass shooter could do the same. But most mass shooters are not going to be able to do it as quickly as military member -- or veteran in my case -- and even if they only take a second or two to do it, that is a second or two of vulnerability in which the mass shooter can be attacked by the crowd.

If somebody has a semiautomatic weapon, I want it to have lower power -- so a pistol rather than a rifle -- and I want them to have to reload their magazine. If it is a rifle, I want it to have a lever action or bolt action, which produces another vulnerability of the criminal in a mass shooting.

Quote:
Instead of turning millions of Californians into criminals why not just keep criminals in jail instead of letting them out early?
I agree with not letting people out early. We probably need to build more prisons. We also need to change laws so that possessing a small amount of any drug is not a felony. That kind of stuff is beyond the scope of a gun control debate, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 03:16 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Well, I guess I'm a criminal now

Old 07-02-2016, 03:41 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well, it is illegal to have a car without a carburetor unless it is one of those "classic" cars with a special plate. But the CHP doesn't go door to door checking to see if your car meets emission standards and confiscating it if it does not, lol. Come on man, be reasonable. So many people on this site are stereotypical gun nuts. Do you guys listen to yourselves? lol.

I'm pretty sure it is legal for the government to say X is now illegal to possess without having to compensate people if they confiscate X illegal object. But I'm open to being educated on that.

Dude, come on! You don't understand why law enforcement and the military would need different weapons than a civilian??

The role of law enforcement is completely different from a civilian defending themselves. Law enforcement has to, for example, go into the base of operations for gangs and potentially kill dozens of criminals. In the military, we attack and are attacked by other military units.

As a civilian, when are you going to fire your weapon in self defense more than ten times during one incident? Please. If you do find yourself in that situation, you can simply drop the magazine and load another. In the military it is called "combat reload" (at least that's what the Navy called it when I was trained to do it in under two seconds).

Yes, I realize a mass shooter could do the same. But most mass shooters are not going to be able to do it as quickly as military member -- or veteran in my case -- and even if they only take a second or two to do it, that is a second or two of vulnerability in which the mass shooter can be attacked by the crowd.

If somebody has a semiautomatic weapon, I want it to have lower power -- so a pistol rather than a rifle -- and I want them to have to reload their magazine. If it is a rifle, I want it to have a lever action or bolt action, which produces another vulnerability of the criminal in a mass shooting.

I agree with not letting people out early. We probably need to build more prisons. We also need to change laws so that possessing a small amount of any drug is not a felony. That kind of stuff is beyond the scope of a gun control debate, though.
Rifles are used in less than 5% of gun murders. Pools kill more people every year than assault rifles. Worrying about assault rifles is like worrying about people falling from cliffs and dieing but ignoring car deaths.

Confiscating property without compensation has already made its way through the court system
‘California Raisins’ Saved from Government Confiscation: Why it Matters to Everyday Americans | NFIB

If you are worried about preventing death then you should start here instead of limiting civil rights.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:34 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
They can't buy all the parts. The receiver is still needed which contains the serial number and must be purchased through a legal means.
You can still buy the 80%

A criminal isn't going to put a serial number on it.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Rifles are used in less than 5% of gun murders.
But not 5% of all mass shootings.

Quote:
Pools kill more people every year than assault rifles. Worrying about assault rifles is like worrying about people falling from cliffs and dieing but ignoring car deaths.
Well, no criminal has ever used a tactical nuclear weapon. I guess that means civilians should be able to own them.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You can still buy the 80%

A criminal isn't going to put a serial number on it.
Criminal has to acquire it somehow.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Criminal has to acquire it somehow.
From other criminals and worst case smuggled in like drugs. The law will not stop criminals.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:20 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
But not 5% of all mass shootings.

Well, no criminal has ever used a tactical nuclear weapon. I guess that means civilians should be able to own them.
Handguns are used in more mass shootings than rifles.

You keep moving the goal posts. Not to mention arguing about things no one is talking about like nuclear weapons. Next are you going to tell me to move to Somalia because I don't like bad laws?

Old 07-02-2016, 10:08 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
From other criminals and worst case smuggled in like drugs. The law will not stop criminals.
I'm a hunter and competitive shooter, but the reality is, no law stops anybody from doing anything.

All laws do is punish someone after the fact.

I wish my fellow nra members would stop saying "The law will not stop criminals"

Old 07-02-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Handguns are used in more mass shootings than rifles.
But pistols have a valid self defense purpose. A semiautomatic rifle does not. "Because it is fun" is not a reason for a machine designed to kill large numbers of people efficiently to be legal. People would think it is fun to fly an F-18 fully loaded with all sensors and weapon systems as deployed by the US Navy but that is also illegal, for obvious reasons. Well, obvious to people who are not gun nuts, anyway. Maybe not obvious to you.

Quote:
You keep moving the goal posts.
Not at all. It's simple. Some weapons should be for the military and only for the military. I think a semiautomatic rifle -- not a semiautomatic pistol, but a semiautomatic rifle -- is one of those. A civilian doesn't need a weapon that is as powerful as a rifle and fires as rapidly as a pistol.

Quote:
Not to mention arguing about things no one is talking about like nuclear weapons. Next are you going to tell me to move to Somalia because I don't like bad laws?
Somalia is your paradise. No government to speak of and everyone has a gun. That's what you want, right? What's the problem? Maybe your ideal situation is actually not ideal.

And, nuclear arms are arms. Keep and bear arms would technically include that. But it doesn't because there is a clear public safety risk. To most of us, it is obvious that there is a public safety risk with semiautomatic rifles that does not exist to nearly the same degree with semiautomatic pistols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California