Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM

706 posts, read 758,403 times

Advertisements

Do any of you feel you are ready in case something like this happens or do you all just basically go on with your lives and not worry about it?

California ill-prepared for the Big One, earthquake experts say | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:30 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Any article about the "big one" that uses images from the movie San Andreas should be ignored, even if there is any good information. There are plenty of sources of good scientific information about earthquakes without the Daily Mail.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:39 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Lived the whole of my life in California and quakes don't bother me. Been through a few good ones too.

Really don't think about them going through daily life, and when they happen, the first thought is to ride it out and see how strong it is. If it is more than just a short one, then the best course is to get outside and away from anything that can fall on me/us. No biggie. I'd much rather deal with earthquakes than tornadoes, hurricanes, or blizzards.

However, having said that, I have taken CERT training and keep a couple of emergency backpacks filled with supplies and 'Search and Rescue' tools in the house. "Community Emergency Response Team" training is conducted by the fire department with the goal to prepare citizens to be 'survivors' rather than 'victims'. They teach you to make due on your own for a few days or a week under the assumption that in a major disaster, first responders may not get to your location for several days. I would very highly recommend CERT training for everyone. It is no-cost and held over several days.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Any article about the "big one" that uses images from the movie San Andreas should be ignored, even if there is any good information. There are plenty of sources of good scientific information about earthquakes without the Daily Mail.
So are you saying the threat isn't real that they've described?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Of course we are not prepared. Just look on the east coast and south east. They get warnings about hurricanes days in advance and people are still not prepared. Any massive earthquake here will have people looting in days.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:42 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Of course we are not prepared. Just look on the east coast and south east. They get warnings about hurricanes days in advance and people are still not prepared.
Yes, and an amazing number of houses in "Tornado Alley" have no tornado shelters. It's a universal head-in-the-sand phenomenon.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'd much rather deal with earthquakes than tornadoes, hurricanes, or blizzards.
I think I'm with you on that one.

Quote:
However, having said that, I have taken CERT training and keep a couple of emergency backpacks filled with supplies and 'Search and Rescue' tools in the house. "Community Emergency Response Team" training is conducted by the fire department with the goal to prepare citizens to be 'survivors' rather than 'victims'. They teach you to make due on your own for a few days or a week under the assumption that in a major disaster, first responders may not get to your location for several days. I would very highly recommend CERT training for everyone. It is no-cost and held over several days.
That's good advice.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Of course we are not prepared. Just look on the east coast and south east. They get warnings about hurricanes days in advance and people are still not prepared. Any massive earthquake here will have people looting in days.
So there aren't many "preppers" out there? I would think that with the frequency of quakes, people would be more prepared than folks in other states.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
So there aren't many "preppers" out there? I would think that with the frequency of quakes, people would be more prepared than folks in other states.
Why? People in Oklahoma or Kansas (etc) don't seem very prepared for tornados. People along the gulf coast don't seem very prepared for hurricanes. Why should people in CA be any different? Heck there are people living along the Russian river that have been flooded out 3-5 times over the past 40 years - they still live there, and many don't take any precautions.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I see you list your location as the Midwest, so I'm going to assume your perception of reality is painted by sensationalized journalism and Hollywood. Forgive me if I am incorrect.

No. The ground does not "open up and swallow you". Almost all of the fault lines in California are strike/slip faults. Meaning, the Pacific tectonic plate is moving northward and 'scraping' along the North American tectonic plate. The San Andreas movie's goal was to sell tickets and make somebody a little bit of money, not provide a 'what if' scenario. Great special effects however.

And . . . even though quakes occur constantly, almost none of them can be perceived, other than on a seismograph. Maybe once every few years we'll get one we can feel, and more times than not, only if we are sitting stationary and not moving about. The good ones, the ones that cause any amount of physical damage, and the ones that get reported on the evening news only occur about once every twenty or twenty-five years, if even that. And, those are pretty much spread out along the extended length of the state. Almost never is a quake in SoCal felt by those in NorCal. This is a BIG state and takes me two days to get out of it when driving north.

Quakes? Eh, no worries. We plan them every so often to help keep immigration under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California