Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:59 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times

Advertisements

California has among the highest of all those I mentioned above compared to most parts of the country or world maybe with the exception of certain European countries. Though I wonder where does all the money go? How come our roads, transportation infrastructure, and public facilties are still in such awful shape compared to many other states and countries?
Taxes are very high and there are just more and more of them coming, not to mention "fees" which are "tax" that falls in the loophole requiring public approval. Fines including so much costs and fees that end up tripling and quadruping the cost depending on the location. But where do they all go? The schools are a mess, the freeways and streets are crumbling and trashed, mass transit poorly laid out, not user friendly, and always running into issues. The CAHSR project seems to be just a dream that will never be completed.
I visited states where there are alot of rain and even snow and even in those harsh circumstances they appear to keep their roads clean and smooth I wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 05:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
General fund. Where it gets spent like a sailor on leave in Thailand

Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
A yuge portion of it goes to protect Maids from the Guvenator's sexual advances.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
General fund. Where it gets spent like a sailor on leave in Thailand
Though where all the money in general fund goes to? Why the state is in poor shape? Despite having 30 + million people paying outrages money to the government. It appears general funds seems to be a big mysterious black hole. We can also ask where all those court fees on tickets goes to? Are courts really that expensive to operate in CA?

Old 07-14-2016, 05:33 PM

124 posts, read 129,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Though where all the money in general fund goes to? Why the state is in poor shape? Despite having 30 + million people paying outrages money to the government. It appears general funds seems to be a big mysterious black hole. We can also ask where all those court fees on tickets goes to? Are courts really that expensive to operate in CA?
Enacted Budget - Enacted Budget Summary

I guess google must be broken on the OP's computer.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaDude View Post
Enacted Budget - Enacted Budget Summary

I guess google must be broken on the OP's computer.
I read it but this doesn't explain the reality of the situation in California why everything is in poor shape.

Why are California's roads so bad? - LA Times

Why are California's roads so bad?

California: High Taxes, Democrats, & Big Problems | National Review Online

Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I read it but this doesn't explain the reality of the situation in California why everything is in poor shape.

Why are California's roads so bad? - LA Times

Why are California's roads so bad?

California: High Taxes, Democrats, & Big Problems | National Review Online
First off, maybe you should read the article you posted?

And secondly, when it comes to surface streets, I take it you've never been on roads in places like St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, etc. Potholes so big they could swallow your car whole.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 PM

I did, in the end the simple answer is the state just cannot manage itself.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I did, in the end the simple answer is the state just cannot manage itself.
So if you already know the answer why are you asking a question?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:55 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,566 times
Well, our state Constitution mandates that 50% of the general fund is spent on education.

Another 40% is tied up in various other things due to parts added to the Constitution by voter initiatives.

The State Legislature and Governor can only negotiate on like 10% of the budget.

Our state Constitution is one of the longest in the world, at over 100 pages.

The state badly needs a Constitutional Convention.

This is why, despite being a moderate liberal, I typically vote for Republicans for state and local office. For example, I voted for Schwarzenegger both times, and last time, I voted for Meg Whitman rather than Jerry Brown. Meg Whitman was the Republican running against him, the former CEO of eBay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California