Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times

Advertisements

Here's a question from an out of stater who loves the heat. I would like to relocate to California, and am priced out of virtually the entire state. The one area that seems to be somewhat affordable is the Imperial Valley...El Centro area especially. I see thay have a new mall there and it seems to be growing, right near the border. I am sure there is a trade off living there, being next to the border and in the hot desert...but it is also only 100 miles or so from SD. What I am wondering is, what has kept this area from growing like the Palm Springs area, and what keeps prices down? Would it be a good place to relocate to if I like the heat, the Mexican culture and California? I work from home, so I can live anywhere I can "afford."

Please let me know what the Imperial Valley is like to live in, the pros and cons and how it is viewed by locals. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 12:07 AM

18 posts, read 124,553 times
Very, very hot place. You could fry an egg on the street during the summer months. I lived there for a year when my dad (US Navy) was stationed there. It's the "winter home of the Blue Angels".

I was only a kid, and that was some time ago, but I remember having a good experience there, in the Navy base and we kids went to a local school and it felt safe and completely normal. Recently, I checked the educational test scores and it's not great if you have kids. Actually, they're kind of low scores, but I don't recall any issues with crime and safety.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:49 PM

12 posts, read 50,846 times
Default You would like El Centro...

I have been living in Imperial Valley for 25 out of my 44 years. All these posts are accurate. I live in El Centro and I see many advantages living here--mainly no traffic like the big cities. We have a new shopping Mall (Imperial Valley Mall) that has over 600,00 square feet plus 14 movie theatres to keep you busy...oh, there's ANOTHER mall going up across from the IV Mall...this one's going to be an outdoor mall with a Michaels', Best Buy, BBB,Petco, etc. scheduled to open. The disadvantages of living here are high unemployment rates (25% is common!), hot humid weather in August-September, bad air quality due to the close proximity of Mexico AND farmer's burning the fields to rotate crops and high pesticide/herbicide use....indeed, 60% of children here have asthma--No, I'm not exaggerating...check the State statistics...it's all there. Imperial County has a large Mexican immigrant population, over 71% of the population is Mexican or Mexican-American...can be positive if you like the culture, otherwise it could be a detriment because we are culturally lacking in other areas (theatre plays, orchestras, Jazz, etc). This County desperately needs to be beautified liek Palm Springs, La Quinta...can be done but no ones' taken the initiative.
I stay here because it's a good place to raise my 2 kids...yes they can go out at night and they will be safe. Crime? yes we have that BUT your'e in danger ONLY if involved in A) Drugs, B) a love triangle, C) you owe someone money(usually because of A) and D) gangs. If your'e not involved in shady matters, then you have nothing to worry about here in Imperial Valley. I did work as a policeman in Calexico many years back and was in charge of the crime statistics so that's my professional opinion.
This place is not paradise but one thing makes it worthwhile. The people here tend to be much friendlier than most places...I have lived in San Jose, San Diego california during my college years and this is what I've noticed.
To be honest, I would move to La Quinta if I did not have so much family here...but the laid back lifestyle keeps me happy...you could NOT PAY me to live in L.A....no way, I'd rather sweat here during summer.
Hope this helps...contact me at thegarz @ hotmail if you have any more questions.
Best Wishes

Old 06-17-2019, 12:05 AM

60 posts, read 60,703 times
[mod cut]

What really screwed over the city was the 2008 Recession. Unemployment reached 28%! Crazy. There is suprisingly a lot of traffic for such a small city. The three major freeways (Interstate 8, Hwy86, Hwy111) are usually very crowded. 10 years later and the city has began to clean up downtown and has really been restoring old buildings. New businesses like The Habit Burger Grill and Chipotle are being planned or in construction. There is a TON of construction going on in El Centro. The expansion of the Medical center and a new Medical Center being built near the mall. The new Lotus ranch homes across Southwest High are supposed to be luxurious homes. The city has made an effort to maintain the parks. Bucklin has more grass and more lighting as well as new water fountains in the ponds. New Villa Apartments are going up behind target. New stores and remodeling of old buildings where the old walmart used to be as well as a new planet fitness. The city has really started to recover.

Last edited by volosong; 06-17-2019 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: copyright infridgement

Old 06-21-2019, 11:41 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...al-county.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California