Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:04 PM

10 posts, read 8,430 times

Advertisements

Tis one more category no one has mentioned - Kids going to college.

A great many young person from CA said "I shall go to the Ol' Miss, or to the UT in Austin, so that once I graduate I can get a job immediately and build a life"

The folks who stayed in CA said "Well the UC system is good, and I will live at home with mom and dad after school and hope for something to, maybe, perhaps come along".. It is so bad in CA the wealthy parents just buy their kids a home knowing there is no chance ever of the offspring making their own way in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 10:45 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
^^^ How does this explain those that do make it work... kids attending local schools and buying homes?

I have mentioned many times about the high school sweethearts, the first in both families to attend college buying their first Bay Area home in their mid 20's... she is a registered Nurse working for Highland and he is a Berkeley Police Officer... about 220k the first full year household income when all is said and done.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:00 PM

10 posts, read 8,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^ How does this explain those that do make it work... kids attending local schools and buying homes?

I have mentioned many times about the high school sweethearts, the first in both families to attend college buying their first Bay Area home in their mid 20's... she is a registered Nurse working for Highland and he is a Berkeley Police Officer... about 220k the first full year household income when all is said and done.
That's your story. I can name many, many who reside on the coast, or in SF/LA/SD/OC that gave large sums to their kids to keep them from having to move to *Texas* because as is plain knowledge people in their 20's don't buy 800k houses.

CA is busting, and while you may not want to see it, this site and all the CA license plates showing up in towns across the nation attest to the bust. It's more of a long term bust, than an overnight I suppose. But it's real and palpable.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:01 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
^^^ Who buys a 800k starter house in California? No one I know and I live in Oakland California... the heart of the SF Bay Area... median price is just that... in the middle.

Even here in the SF East Bay there are plenty of homes for half that...

Go outside the major metro or coast areas homes are much less.... plenty of homes in the 300 to 400k range in Lake Tahoe... half that for Shasta.

I do look for California plates when traveling... saw very few the last 10 days in Washington State... only a handful and that included shopping at Home Depot and Costco.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:45 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,508,296 times
I know it's very anecdotal, but I'm always seeing out-of-state plates when I take the I-5 and State Route 14 drive out to Santa Clarita, or Palmdale where my brother lives. Usually Florida, Texas, Ohio, Illinois and Nevada. And no, these don't seem to be people "visiting", they are people who have moved to the Greater L.A. area but have yet to change their plates.

I am constantly shocked at the growth and seemingly-endless development going on right now out in Santa Clarita and Palmdale when I drive out that way for visits. It's astounding.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:26 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,465,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I know it's very anecdotal, but I'm always seeing out-of-state plates when I take the I-5 and State Route 14 drive out to Santa Clarita, or Palmdale where my brother lives. Usually Florida, Texas, Ohio, Illinois and Nevada. And no, these don't seem to be people "visiting", they are people who have moved to the Greater L.A. area but have yet to change their plates.

I am constantly shocked at the growth and seemingly-endless development going on right now out in Santa Clarita and Palmdale when I drive out that way for visits. It's astounding.
If "everyone" was moving out of CA why is there so much development?

Old 07-21-2016, 06:51 AM

1,099 posts, read 894,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
What about:

5) Those who want more value for their dollar.

I think more fit into that category than all of the others combined.

Of the people who I have known to leave, ALL of them fit into that category.

Most were newly married and wanted to start a family.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This

I also find it amusing when a post starts with a straw man argument..."People are not leaving CA due to taxes and regulation" (who said they were other than opinion pieces?) and then uses some study as an end all be all. I typically have read articles that have claimed businesses have done that. Most things that I've seen regarding individuals and families relate to better value and cost of living (and those are mostly related to specific cities in CA, such as San Francisco). I also think it has a lot to do with your definition on "tax". To me, if I have to pay more for a parking meter, pay for a bag at a store, pay for the staff's medical expenses at a restaurant, pay a higher fee for food at that restaurant due to a regulation, pay for mandatory gorse removal on the hillside where I live, pay to have a street jack hammered if there are plumbing problems on city property, etc., etc., I look at that as a tax. The only difference being (on some of them...not all), I'm not forced to pay it (but I am forced to modify the way I do things).

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 07-21-2016 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I do look for California plates when traveling... saw very few the last 10 days in Washington State... only a handful and that included shopping at Home Depot and Costco.
We live near a major tourist destination and see license plates from, all over the country during "The Season" which is in full swing right now. Very few of them are from California. Granted, there are a number of Californians who have settled here in retirement but they're not pervasive by any means. As a side note, most swap out their California license plates as soon as they can!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM

21,564 posts, read 16,062,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzmore View Post
CA is busting, and while you may not want to see it, this site and all the CA license plates showing up in towns across the nation attest to the bust. It's more of a long term bust, than an overnight I suppose. But it's real and palpable.
Speaking of anecdotal. Hmmm.

The problem with your declaration [of a "bust"] is actual statistics don't support that. At all. Even remotely. Just the opposite. In fact, that reality of statistical proof is what this thread is founded solidly on. Lower income folks being replaced by higher income folks isn't a bust ... well, except for the lower income people. But not for the state. It may be unpleasant for some (including me), but truth is truth, like it or not.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,935,747 times
This thread is funny.

"People aren't leaving because of taxes and regulation!"

"They're leaving because they can't afford to live here!"

You can't make this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California