Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 07:49 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzmore View Post
Dog gone it - That must be why I don't got any city-data stars.
Well there you go. A sad day for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 PM

124 posts, read 129,497 times
Quote:
Take a trip through Salinas, Santa Maria or Bakersfield. You'll find whom it is the residents are replaced with.

Look, as the Gov and Light Gov have said "There's two California's in them thair hills."

One is for the ultra wealthy along the coast. One is for the poor everywhere else.

The folks not on either category are not welcome and gone by the hour to "Texas" since apparently CA maps only show the rest of the country as being Texas.
And I live along the coast and like it. Who cares about the peasants that had to move away? Doesn't matter to me.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 8,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaDude View Post
And I live along the coast and like it. Who cares about the peasants that had to move away? Doesn't matter to me.
Let them eat cake. Or Tri Tip which ever comes first.

The great thing about a society is we aren't all in it together. Look at how well America is doing, just ask the President.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Study finds that most people leave due to having low income. They can't afford to live here. So they move to cheaper states. Most who leave have household incomes of less than $50,000 and do not have a college education.

So much for the idea that the rich and productive are the ones who leave.

The site did not let me copy and paste so read the article here:

High Housing Costs Are Driving Californians Out in Droves - Curbed LA

And the LA Times said the same thing:

The state overall has been losing people to other parts of the country since the 1990s. A snapshot of more recent U.S. Census migration numbers shows that nearly three-quarters of those who have left California for other states since 2007 earn less than $50,000 a year.

Business News - Los Angeles Times
So much for "compassionate California". Aren't you all always trying to tell everyone else that they "have to give" to those with less so that they have an opportunity to do better - they just need your help so that they can be something, too....that's the lie California likes to tell everyone - and then other liberal states follow suit.

So let me ask you, when CA threw up and spit everyone in to WA state in the 90s, where I lived at the time, causing a 1% vacancy rate that caused prices everywhere to skyrocket, were those all the "unproductive low income" masses as well? Because they sure seemed to have enough money to rent all those fancy new apartments and condos that sprouted up everywhere thanks to their mass migration.

Yes, I know, that was 20 years ago...but THAT is where the "idea" came from that people left CA in droves to avoid taxes and regulations. Then they ruined Seattle. And other places they've gone.

Quote:
There are those who do so in retirement. And in my part of CA we have a lot of retirees who cashed out of their Bay Area house and bought homes for a quarter of the price for cash. Median home price in San Jose is $1,000,000. In my part of CA, $225,000.

I know people in my area, who work in the Bay Area. What they do is rent a room near their place of employment 3 or 4 nights a week. A thought.

They all said it was worth it to live here and have a high end job in the Bay Area. Not that there are no good jobs where I live. My wife is an attorney and I am a retired Social Worker.

And if you are in the trades, you can do quite well.
You were a social worker? With that arrogant elitist attitude?

Quote:
How is the climate in Austin or Orlando? Does the idea of taking a walk at 2PM outside appeal to you today? [mod cut]
I live in CA, I don't want to walk around at 2pm in CA, either. It's hotter than hell, and liberal environtwits are not helping.

Austin is far too liberal for my tastes but there's a lot of fun stuff to do there. Orlando is a lot of fun, and there's the ocean a short trip away, there's the Everglades to explore, there's all kinds of stuff to do...and yeah, you can do those at 2pm just like you can do activities in CA at 2pm. If you think "weather" is what CA has to offer, you're wrong. The weather is not what it used to be. I lived in this state as a kid. The weather USED TO BE nice, it is not nice anymore. Since that is the only thing you offered up as a reason for anyone to want to be a Californian, then it would appear there's nothing of significance at all that you can't get in another state...for FAR cheaper.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:44 PM

124 posts, read 129,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So much for "compassionate California". Aren't you all always trying to tell everyone else that they "have to give" to those with less so that they have an opportunity to do better - they just need your help so that they can be something, too....that's the lie California likes to tell everyone - and then other liberal states follow suit.

So let me ask you, when CA threw up and spit everyone in to WA state in the 90s, where I lived at the time, causing a 1% vacancy rate that caused prices everywhere to skyrocket, were those all the "unproductive low income" masses as well? Because they sure seemed to have enough money to rent all those fancy new apartments and condos that sprouted up everywhere thanks to their mass migration.

Yes, I know, that was 20 years ago...but THAT is where the "idea" came from that people left CA in droves to avoid taxes and regulations. Then they ruined Seattle. And other places they've gone.

I live in CA, I don't want to walk around at 2pm in CA, either. It's hotter than hell, and liberal environtwits are not helping.

Austin is far too liberal for my tastes but there's a lot of fun stuff to do there. Orlando is a lot of fun, and there's the ocean a short trip away, there's the Everglades to explore, there's all kinds of stuff to do...and yeah, you can do those at 2pm just like you can do activities in CA at 2pm. If you think "weather" is what CA has to offer, you're wrong. The weather is not what it used to be. I lived in this state as a kid. The weather USED TO BE nice, it is not nice anymore. Since that is the only thing you offered up as a reason for anyone to want to be a Californian, then it would appear there's nothing of significance at all that you can't get in another state...for FAR cheaper.
So why are you still here.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:

Wow. Don't really what to make of your post. Seems you need to move to Austin or Orlado to find happiness. You even think that CA weather is not what it used to be five years ago. I actually prefer to take walks at 2PM. Right time of day in CA. Note where I live. But maybe you like hot humid weather six months of the year.

Can you tell me why liberals make a 2PM walk less pleasant?

And if you think that my observation that folk who do well in the trades is elitist then I am sorry and we have nothing to discuss. These folk do well here.

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-22-2016 at 11:17 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 12:05 AM

156 posts, read 163,358 times
I just recently joined these forums and I'm pretty bummed out about the level of negativity and hate there is towards California. I wonder if it's this bad for the other states on here.

Also, I disagree with the notion that one has to be wealthy in order to enjoy what CA has to offer. I have a pretty low income right now, but tomorrow I'm going to spend the day at the beach in beautiful Coronado. My wife and I are taking lunch and going to have picnic at the beach.

I love to go hiking up in the mountains and gather fresh spring water that has dramatically improved my health. Yesterday, I visited some hot springs that have tons of minerals and actually cured my chronic pain in my left foot caused by an injury.

By the way, all of these activities are free.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 8,579 times
Quote:
If you think "weather" is what CA has to offer, you're wrong. The weather is not what it used to be. I lived in this state as a kid. The weather USED TO BE nice, it is not nice anymore. Since that is the only thing you offered up as a reason for anyone to want to be a Californian, then it would appear there's nothing of significance at all that you can't get in another state...for FAR cheaper.
The thing about forums are, who knows if the people talking have ever even been to the state. For example, 20 miles from the coast CA is regularly in the triple digits in summer as far north as Sacramento.

And there's that place they call Death Valley.

The bottom line with this thread is that the stats show that at least one certain group of economic strata of people are actively and decislevly leaving California.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
The bottom line with this thread is that the stats show that at least one certain group of economic strata of people are actively and decislevly leaving California.
Yes. "They" certainly are. And they certainly are NOT the demographic generally, mythically assumed to be leaving in droves either. Which is the entire point of the thread. Of course.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:04 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
Well, if you're that broke, you can't afford to move to Armpit, Texas. lol.

I doubt anyone is leaving California in droves. I have a low income and I can pay rent here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California