U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:25 PM

18,173 posts, read 13,451,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Yup all the border states do tend to have higher poverty levels than those further north....It's really sad though that low income people would choose places like Southern CA to live in despite the outrageous cost of living...There was an article about an immigrant family that lives in Santa Ana(Orange County) in a small apartment and sharing it with 2-3 families just to be able to afford the rent
And they can live crammed together because CA lets yopu have 1 person for the 1st hundred sq feet of space then 1 more for each additional 50 sq ft of space. They don't care about the people. just keep them there. In most cities you would be violating very reasonable regulations about occupancy, but not in CA.

Lets see a 1200 sq ft home with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath could house ..... 23 people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 PM

37 posts, read 43,178 times
I would agree that is is poor. I'm from Mississippi (born there and spent 1/3 of my life in the Delta) and now I live in the Central Valley.

I see a lot of similarities. Both are feudalistic regions that, for historical reasons, have been set up to thrive on a permanent underclass who is undereducated and subservient to people with land, wealth, and titles.

Despite the similarities, I would prefer to live in CA.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,664,350 times
if there are still poor people in CA, whether illegal or not, its no longer its fault. the state give you all the chance to improve your living condition and if you don't take advantage of it, that's your fault.

if you are illegal, the state don't even report your status to the federal govt so you can work to improve your lot. education is free. remember that Filipino guy who is now advocate of legalization? studied at CalState and went on to win Pulitzer Award.

the opportunity is there for the taking. you just have to work for it

Old 07-26-2016, 01:19 AM

1,849 posts, read 4,373,986 times
I agree...California offers the opportunity for all people whether legal or illegal to improve their lives,some take advantage of the opportunity while others don't,but also some people make the right choices with their lives while others make the wrong choices unfortunately.

California truly is the land of milk and honey,but yup you just have to work for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
if there are still poor people in CA, whether illegal or not, its no longer its fault. the state give you all the chance to improve your living condition and if you don't take advantage of it, that's your fault.

if you are illegal, the state don't even report your status to the federal govt so you can work to improve your lot. education is free. remember that Filipino guy who is now advocate of legalization? studied at CalState and went on to win Pulitzer Award.

the opportunity is there for the taking. you just have to work for it

Old 07-26-2016, 02:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 10,085,937 times
Quote:
You are confusing "area" with "population". There aren't many people living in the 'poverty' areas in CA, which are large *in area* because those places suck. Most people are living in the metro areas, which (unsurprisingly) don't have a high % of people near the poverty level.
Quote:
Since so many of the people chiming in are not familiar with the state, the parts that are poor in the central state are not at all desert. Fresno for example, is taking one hell of an economic hit.
Quote:
You are confusing "area" with "population". There aren't many people living in the 'poverty' areas in CA, which are large *in area* because those places suck. Most people are living in the metro areas, which (unsurprisingly) don't have a high % of people near the poverty level.
Can't any of you read. Los Angeles County with 1/3rd of the states population has the highest percent of poverty in the state, and is leading for the American cities.

Of the 5 worst poverty counties in California, 3 of them are Los Angeles, Santa Barbra, and San Francisco, and those are not central state counties. All of them are right on the coast, or at least they were the last time I was in them when I lived in California. It is amazing that anyone can say they are that there is little poverty in the major metro areas of the state.

California: "Land of Poverty" | Newgeography.com

Quote:
What are you talking about? Mississippi is close to the bottom of BOTH lists, even on the one adjusting for Cost of Living. Yeah, I’m sure you can pick and choose a certain job that pays more in Mississippi than CA. That’s not a good way to make your point.
As California is the 19th lowest average income when adjusted for the cost of living, of all states, it is not the golden state so many seem to think it is. The average person in California could live in anyone of 32 other states, and be ahead of living in California in relation to their income relating to the cost of living.

Salary by State: Where Can You Really Earn the Most?

Quote:
Lets ask how the average poor person is going to take advantage of living in California and improve themselves. First there would have to be jobs, that they could work at, and make a decent living to crawl out of poverty. Not there. The good high paying jobs, have such high qualifications that they cannot get them as they are not qualified, and will never be able to. Housing would have to be low enough priced they can have a decent and clean and safe place to live. I know when I was raising a family in the Silicon Valley, I bought my first home in Cupertino for $13,750 with no money down in 1956. Ten years ago when in California on business I found that same house was for sale for $850,000 and has since been torn down to be replaced with a larger modern home. Over the next few years, we kept trading up and bought 3 additional homes in Cupertino and Saratoga, all of them for under $25,000 and all three will hit a Million today.

I was selling furniture in San Jose in the 50s, and in today's dollars taking home $125,000 plus a year. My close friend was working for the big rail road company in San Francisco, living in Las Altos. We compared our W-2 tax returns in 1958, and I beat him by $14. He was the Vice President and Legal Council over the labor department, of the rail road. How many young people can get a job making that amount of money, with or without a college education in the Silicon Valley today.

Today the average salary in California is under $40,000 and after adjusting for cost of living drops to equaling $34,000. That means that adding all the salaries together from the highest to the lowest, and dividing the answer by the number of working people. Average household income is 50% higher than that, or about $48,000 when adjusted for cost of living.

Renting a house in a decent area in the Silicon Valley where I raised a family, there is no way that the average family can afford afford to rent let alone buy the home and still have money to live on.

Quote:
And they can live crammed together because CA lets yopu have 1 person for the 1st hundred sq feet of space then 1 more for each additional 50 sq ft of space. They don't care about the people. just keep them there. In most cities you would be violating very reasonable regulations about occupancy, but not in CA.

Lets see a 1200 sq ft home with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath could house ..... 23 people.
And that is no way to live, or at least it would not be acceptable to me.

I am posting in California threads, as I want to wake people up, and start working together to bring back the decent life for the people of California. At the present time it is not possible for so many people in California.

And so many people on these threads that are doing well, have the same attitude that the French Queen that said, "If they can't afford bread, let them eat cake". For those that do not know, cake was bread samples they put in ovens to test the heat before they had thermometers to test the heat. It was thrown away. Her attitude was if they can't afford bread to eat the scraps from the garbage and shut up.

My family on both sides was in California since right after the gold rush in the 1800s, and I have lots of family there still. I want to see the problems solved, to make their lives better.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:02 AM

156 posts, read 124,999 times
"I agree...California offers the opportunity for all people whether legal or illegal to improve their lives,some take advantage of the opportunity while others don't,but also some people make the right choices with their lives while others make the wrong choices unfortunately.

California truly is the land of milk and honey,but yup you just have to work for it"

^This...You hit the nail right on the head. I have many family members that immigrated legally to this country and they literally are all successful. I swear to you, every single family member is thriving even though they came to this country without knowing a lick of English.

My cousin went to UC Berkeley and became a computer engineer and lives in San Francisco. The rest of my cousins also pursued different academic and professional goals. One is a successful business owner, another is an architect in LA. I also have two accountants, a Marriott hotel manager, a respiratory therapist working at a major hospital in SD, a couple cousins working for the county, etc. My uncles who also immigrated to CA also have a lucrative accounting small business.

The doom and gloom on these forums don't resonate with me because I have seen virtually all my family members work hard and achieve success even though they had major obstacles. Hope is very much alive and well in my life.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:52 AM

18,173 posts, read 13,451,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
"I agree...California offers the opportunity for all people whether legal or illegal to improve their lives,some take advantage of the opportunity while others don't,but also some people make the right choices with their lives while others make the wrong choices unfortunately.

California truly is the land of milk and honey,but yup you just have to work for it"

^This...You hit the nail right on the head. I have many family members that immigrated legally to this country and they literally are all successful. I swear to you, every single family member is thriving even though they came to this country without knowing a lick of English.

My cousin went to UC Berkeley and became a computer engineer and lives in San Francisco. The rest of my cousins also pursued different academic and professional goals. One is a successful business owner, another is an architect in LA. I also have two accountants, a Marriott hotel manager, a respiratory therapist working at a major hospital in SD, a couple cousins working for the county, etc. My uncles who also immigrated to CA also have a lucrative accounting small business.

The doom and gloom on these forums don't resonate with me because I have seen virtually all my family members work hard and achieve success even though they had major obstacles. Hope is very much alive and well in my life.
In general this is correct. However your family had the drive to succeed and many don't. Especially those born and raised in CA (and the USA) have a victim and you owe me mentality or feel that the Gov't will/must support them and ... they have no drive to succeed. They are encouraged by the politicians who want/buy their votes. CA is becoming the epicenter of this attitude.

Your family is to be commended. I was in a solid middle class family until my father died when I was 11. My mother and I ended up poor and I was only able to graduate from High School and then had to go to work. I have done many different things including being a gardner, a salesman, a car mechanic and more. Then one day I started a new company in my garage. Today I own 3 companies in CA as well as other States. I do business worldwide and have created some of the most unique products on earth. I am a Patent holder. I am worth far more than I ever believed possible. Why? I simply wanted to take care of my Mother and then later my family.

That was my drive and I had no desire to take welfare and live poor and at the expense of others. Is welfare and such aid necessary, yes for many. But without a work ethic they will stay there and the politicians encourage that today. They diss the wealthy who have worked hard instead of using them as examples of how anyone can succeed. Yes many started life with family money, but the vast majority did not. They ........... worked for it.

Good for your family.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:32 AM

6,079 posts, read 3,892,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post

I don't think it's doom and gloom. It's simply truth. I find a lot of people (especially leftist) find it hard to actually confront the truth.

Right now California has huge unfunded liabilites.

California has a huge U6 unemployment rate.

California's private sector growth is anemic.

California's regulatory environment becomes more restrictive every year.

These are facts, and people can either choose to confront them or not, but the reality still remains.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:02 AM

13,044 posts, read 12,249,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
... I was selling furniture in San Jose in the 50s, and in today's dollars taking home $125,000 plus a year. ... How many young people can get a job making that amount of money, with or without a college education in the Silicon Valley today.
I've been retired a few years, but I used to hire engineers straight out of engineering school at $125,000 year in Silicon Valley. At age 22. Heck, my secretary earned $80K.

My daughter's high school classmate had an internship at Facebook, and they offered him $120,000 / year to go full-time after he graduated from high school -- that is, to forgo college. At age 18. Yeah, he was extraordinary and one of the brightest kids in the class. Oh - her graduating class? 12% matriculated as freshmen at MIT that year. It's the deep end of the gene pool.

Quote:
... Renting a house in a decent area in the Silicon Valley where I raised a family, there is no way that the average family can afford afford to rent let alone buy the home and still have money to live on.
Yeah, it is expensive... and yet millions of people do indeed live there.

Three 20-something engineers at Apple, each bringing home $100K-ish and renting a house will be OK.

Quote:
... I am posting in California threads, as I want to wake people up, and start working together to bring back the decent life for the people of California... I want to see the problems solved, to make their lives better.
Not everyone can afford it. Those who have no hope should leave California. California should offer suitcases and one-way bus tickets to less expensive places out-of-state. Say, Alabama... or Iowa... or Vermont... or Washington DC.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:25 AM

156 posts, read 124,999 times
Quote:
In general this is correct. However your family had the drive to succeed and many don't. Especially those born and raised in CA (and the USA) have a victim and you owe me mentality or feel that the Gov't will/must support them and ... they have no drive to succeed. They are encouraged by the politicians who want/buy their votes. CA is becoming the epicenter of this attitude.

Your family is to be commended. I was in a solid middle class family until my father died when I was 11. My mother and I ended up poor and I was only able to graduate from High School and then had to go to work. I have done many different things including being a gardner, a salesman, a car mechanic and more. Then one day I started a new company in my garage. Today I own 3 companies in CA as well as other States. I do business worldwide and have created some of the most unique products on earth. I am a Patent holder. I am worth far more than I ever believed possible. Why? I simply wanted to take care of my Mother and then later my family.

That was my drive and I had no desire to take welfare and live poor and at the expense of others. Is welfare and such aid necessary, yes for many. But without a work ethic they will stay there and the politicians encourage that today. They diss the wealthy who have worked hard instead of using them as examples of how anyone can succeed. Yes many started life with family money, but the vast majority did not. They ........... worked for it.

Good for your family.

Thank you for your kind words expatCA. I always enjoy reading your posts and the perspective that you bring. I'm glad that you have found great success in your life.

I think you make a good point about welfare. There are some who get used to getting a check from the government without having to work and they get accustomed to that. I think a lot of that attitude is about perspective and values. It took my family members years before they were able to immigrate to CA so by the time they arrived they were just happy to be here. The economic conditions where they were from were pretty abysmal which I think also motivated them to succeed.

If I may ask, what type of businesses do you own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California