U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2016, 01:34 PM
 
9,866 posts, read 10,074,322 times
Reputation: 21890

Advertisements

FACT: Most new businesses fail. Lets look at what it takes to make a business succeed.

Why Small Businesses Fail: Top 7 Reasons Startups Fail and How to Avoid Failure

And not Drive is only one to forces that make or break a business. The other forces are much more powerful to drive a business to success, or let it fail.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2016, 02:09 PM
 
911 posts, read 466,165 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
its not fantasy. you just have to direct your dream/drive to where the money is.


no matter how driven you are if you got the wrong tools, it wont get you anywhere (generally). like now, the money is in tech, healthcare, they say plumbing also, fire, police. if you are starting, you have to direct your efforts to acquire degrees in these industries. now if you take liberal arts major in ethnic studies, then you are putting yourself in a difficult situation. am not saying you wont succeed because THERES ALWAYS ROOM AT THE TOP


There really isn't always room at the top. If there was most everyone would be there. Pyramids don't stand on their pointy end in the sand. You and others here are defining exceptionalism. If everybody could be exceptional as theamerican dream suggest then nobody and nothing would be exceptional.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Santa Maria, CA
834 posts, read 1,553,039 times
Reputation: 893
California needs a more "Let them eat cake" attitude. If you're poor, why should you be allowed to live in some of the best areas of the country (at least with respect to climate) on section 8 housing and government welfare? The state should just help them move to less desirable areas where the cost of living is a lot more affordable. This state appears to be setup for the very rich and the very poor. If you're somewhere in the middle then you get screwed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 PM
 
3,445 posts, read 2,660,828 times
Reputation: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
[/b]
There really isn't always room at the top. If there was most everyone would be there. Pyramids don't stand on their pointy end in the sand. You and others here are defining exceptionalism. If everybody could be exceptional as theamerican dream suggest then nobody and nothing would be exceptional.
not everybody can. that's why only a handful of those playing in the NCAA could be drafted into the NBA, NFL. and then among those drafted, very few could become MVP, champions.


THERE ALWAYS ROOM AT THE TOP: what it means is that no matter the competition, if you are really at the top of your game, there is always a place for you (or reward). no matter how bad the economy is, there are always those who can make money despite the grim situation
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM
 
911 posts, read 466,165 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
not everybody can. that's why only a handful of those playing in the NCAA could be drafted into the NBA, NFL. and then among those drafted, very few could become MVP, champions.


THERE ALWAYS ROOM AT THE TOP: what it means is that no matter the competition, if you are really at the top of your game, there is always a place for you (or reward). no matter how bad the economy is, there are always those who can make money despite the grim situation
Itis true that there are always exceptional players moving up in ranks but it is simply not true that anybody can be an exceptional player if they only have and apply enough focus and drive and even talent. Thats the myth of the american dream.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 13,435,137 times
Reputation: 9281
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Most in your response is not reality. Lots of people are born with talents. Lots of people work hard and never get anywhere with or without talent. Lots of people with both drive and talent have crappy or strange personalities and no luck, can't appeal to the right connections or are ugly or fat in a culture hat rewards beauty and never get anywhere. In fact many more people fit that description than become successes at anything. You are describing the common american dream fantasy.
You are focused on a certain type of success. Many feel very successful with an average income and life. Others only see success based on wealth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 13,435,137 times
Reputation: 9281
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
[/b]
There really isn't always room at the top. If there was most everyone would be there. Pyramids don't stand on their pointy end in the sand. You and others here are defining exceptionalism. If everybody could be exceptional as theamerican dream suggest then nobody and nothing would be exceptional.
Thisis true as success is not simply achieving the very top. It is rising from the bottom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 07:49 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 13,435,137 times
Reputation: 9281
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Itis true that there are always exceptional players moving up in ranks but it is simply not true that anybody can be an exceptional player if they only have and apply enough focus and drive and even talent. Thats the myth of the american dream.
This is an example where being at the top is not the only measure of success. Being selected is an example of success, as many times more, who want to play say in the NFL never get selected to play. They were unsuccessful while the selected were successful. Then the next step is how far that success carries you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 AM
 
911 posts, read 466,165 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are focused on a certain type of success. Many feel very successful with an average income and life. Others only see success based on wealth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Thisis true as success is not simply achieving the very top. It is rising from the bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is an example where being at the top is not the only measure of success. Being selected is an example of success, as many times more, who want to play say in the NFL never get selected to play. They were unsuccessful while the selected were successful. Then the next step is how far that success carries you.
Its not clear why you are responding with these comments. Previously you and a couple others were making a case that personal "drive" is the one secret element that always creates financial success and without it you will fail. That's a complete myth. Changing the topic of the conversation to discussion of "being selected" or other kinds of success is fine. But it is strange to attatch those new tangents as responses to the previous points you misidentified as root causes of failure to succeed financially.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 09:33 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 13,435,137 times
Reputation: 9281
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Its not clear why you are responding with these comments. Previously you and a couple others were making a case that personal "drive" is the one secret element that always creates financial success and without it you will fail. That's a complete myth. Changing the topic of the conversation to discussion of "being selected" or other kinds of success is fine. But it is strange to attatch those new tangents as responses to the previous points you misidentified as root causes of failure to succeed financially.
If you do not have drive you won't be selected (in the illustration used) to begin with. Yes it isn't just drive but without it you go nowhere. A handful may have a measure of success given to them, but even they can fail or not grow, if they do not have the desire to do even better..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top