Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 AM

95 posts, read 94,831 times

Advertisements

My friend and her husband live in California, one child, friend is a stay at home mom.

Her husband got laid off two months ago and they've been collecting unemployment. For the summer he put aside the job hunt so they could vacation. Friend and husband are in their 40's, not disabled, etc,

When I told my friend about Cobra insurance, she scoffed and said it's "too expensive". The thing is, friend owns her own home outright, their 401k is big (she told me this), and recently she inherited $950k from her mother that she invested.

So when she told me that they got on Medical I was shocked. Aren't there rules for this? How can someone who has so many assets qualify? When I heard this I have to admit it made me angry that taxpayers are paying for their medical coverage while they spend their money on Hawaiian vacations. I know I need to let it go as it's none of my business, but just wondering how this can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 10:23 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Under Obamacare, eligibility is based on income, not assets. And, being unemployed triggers "special circumstances" in income that make a family eligible based on the number of people in the family.

See:

Bye-Bye Medicaid Asset Test* | The Incidental Economist

https://www.legalconsumer.com/obamac...picID=53&ST=CA

Old 07-25-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Under Obamacare, eligibility is based on income, not assets. And, being unemployed triggers "special circumstances" in income that make a family eligible based on the number of people in the family.

See:

Bye-Bye Medicaid Asset Test* | The Incidental Economist

https://www.legalconsumer.com/obamac...picID=53&ST=CA

Wow, thanks for this information. While it's true that most people who are laid off and have little income probably don't have assets, I am amazed that they did away with the asset test. It doesn't seem right that you can have over a million in assets yet qualify for Medicaid.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
The way you qualify for Medi-Cal with those kind of assets is to lie.

Their house is exempt.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiamom View Post
My friend and her husband live in California, one child, friend is a stay at home mom.

Her husband got laid off two months ago and they've been collecting unemployment. For the summer he put aside the job hunt so they could vacation. Friend and husband are in their 40's, not disabled, etc,

When I told my friend about Cobra insurance, she scoffed and said it's "too expensive". The thing is, friend owns her own home outright, their 401k is big (she told me this), and recently she inherited $950k from her mother that she invested.

So when she told me that they got on Medical I was shocked. Aren't there rules for this? How can someone who has so many assets qualify? When I heard this I have to admit it made me angry that taxpayers are paying for their medical coverage while they spend their money on Hawaiian vacations. I know I need to let it go as it's none of my business, but just wondering how this can happen.
This is also not good as you get unemployment while you loo for work. It isn't to help pay for your vacation.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:27 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
I was laid off and my kids were covered by Medi-Cal, but my wife and I were not initially. Eventually this was changed as well and we now are working on getting premiums reimbursed from the time I was out of work. Premiums were expensive, but luckily we had a safety net. I'm glad I'm getting the money back, but I had already written that money off. Your friends clearly don't need the benefit, just as I didn't, but it does help relieve a lot of the pressure caused by the expense of healthcare.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The way you qualify for Medi-Cal with those kind of assets is to lie.

Their house is exempt.
I found the website for Medical and entered the information. There was a place to put assets and it showed they would not qualify. So I think they probably lied or inadvertently "forgot" to put that information down. Unless there is a different place to apply for benefits? Again, it's not my business but it just really surprised me they would qualify.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiamom View Post
I found the website for Medical and entered the information. There was a place to put assets and it showed they would not qualify. So I think they probably lied or inadvertently "forgot" to put that information down. Unless there is a different place to apply for benefits? Again, it's not my business but it just really surprised me they would qualify.
People lie to get government benefits? Color me shocked!

Old 07-25-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
People lie to get government benefits? Color me shocked!
Am I naive in thinking that such lies would be really easy to figure out? I mean, if you have money in investments in say Scottrade or whatever couldn't that be checked with a social security number? It's like California is dying to give handouts.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is also not good as you get unemployment while you loo for work. It isn't to help pay for your vacation.
I see you expect people to play by the rules young grasshopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California