Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,779,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiamom View Post
Am I naive in thinking that such lies would be really easy to figure out? I mean, if you have money in investments in say Scottrade or whatever couldn't that be checked with a social security number? It's like California is dying to give handouts.
All government programs are rife with abuse. Unemployment, Medicare, disability, snap, etc. Between state, federal and local you have dozens of over lapping programs based on signed statements. Whenever a republican talks about wedding out the abuse they get labeled a racist for taking things from minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:04 AM

37,058 posts, read 42,023,443 times
I don't know why someone with means would want to be on Medi-cal. Around here the only place you can use it is at the low cost clinic.

I suspect you friend is lying....to you about how much money they have.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 AM

95 posts, read 94,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know why someone with means would want to be on Medi-cal. Around here the only place you can use it is at the low cost clinic.

I suspect you friend is lying....to you about how much money they have.
Only thing is, I know she sold her mother's house recently (public records) so the $950k is definitely there. Just that asset alone would make me think she wouldn't qualify.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:41 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,264,160 times
maybe you can report that to the authorities?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:17 AM

42,752 posts, read 25,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Under Obamacare, eligibility is based on income, not assets. And, being unemployed triggers "special circumstances" in income that make a family eligible based on the number of people in the family. See:
Bye-Bye Medicaid Asset Test* | The Incidental Economist
https://www.legalconsumer.com/obamac...picID=53&ST=CA
Exactly! And I think the goal was help people who are temporarily unemployed to get medical care without requiring people to spend down their savings or car. There are still people who do have an asset test, and even for those who don't their eligibility is based on their income, so if a person with a large number of assets received any taxable income, i.e 401k withdrawls, stock sales, etc. it would likely disqualify them.

http://dhcf.dc.gov/service/what-medicaid

Old 07-26-2016, 10:42 AM

95 posts, read 94,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Exactly! And I think the goal was help people who are temporarily unemployed to get medical care without requiring people to spend down their savings or car. There are still people who do have an asset test, and even for those who don't their eligibility is based on their income, so if a person with a large number of assets received any taxable income, i.e 401k withdrawls, stock sales, etc. it would likely disqualify them.

http://dhcf.dc.gov/service/what-medicaid

I guess my question is who are the people who still have an asset test? What is the criteria?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiamom View Post
I guess my question is who are the people who still have an asset test? What is the criteria?
Sorry, I should have mentioned it's at the bottom of the link I posted:

MAGI rules apply to most people who are eligible for Medicaid, but do not apply to people 65 or older, people who may qualify for Medicaid based on a disability or in need of Long Term Care services, or for people who qualify for Medicaid for reasons other than income.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:40 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,335,289 times
Oddly enough, I just talked to someone about getting a family member enrolled in the Oregon Health Plan, which is equivalent to Medical. It was explained to me that getting benefits is based on monthly income, not assets. This relative has been out of work for several months, is in the process of selling his home and moving to a small town to live with another relative. He will get a lump sum for the sale of his house but it will not count against him as it is a one time thing, not monthly income. (They really have no way of knowing how much of that lump sum will go towards paying off debt.) While on the plan, he can earn up to $1300/mo gross (including SSI and pensions, if any) and still qualify.

I'm thrilled that he will qualify and not have to eat up his little nest egg with high premiums and deductibles. He has a way to go to get his pension and SSI and because of his age, he'll have a hard time finding work, much less full time with benefits. It's hard enough on him to lose his job and his home and having to live with someone else.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Oddly enough, I just talked to someone about getting a family member enrolled in the Oregon Health Plan, which is equivalent to Medical. It was explained to me that getting benefits is based on monthly income, not assets. This relative has been out of work for several months, is in the process of selling his home and moving to a small town to live with another relative. He will get a lump sum for the sale of his house but it will not count against him as it is a one time thing, not monthly income. (They really have no way of knowing how much of that lump sum will go towards paying off debt.) While on the plan, he can earn up to $1300/mo gross (including SSI and pensions, if any) and still qualify.

I'm thrilled that he will qualify and not have to eat up his little nest egg with high premiums and deductibles. He has a way to go to get his pension and SSI and because of his age, he'll have a hard time finding work, much less full time with benefits. It's hard enough on him to lose his job and his home and having to live with someone else.
He might want to talk to someone about the sale of the house, it will probably be considered income:

Examples of Taxable Income
Gains from sale of property or securities

Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,349,391 times
Default How can my well-to-do friend qualify for Medical?

Why is she a friend? She and her husband are crooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California