Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM

305 posts, read 294,520 times

Advertisements

For example:

Pedro Luis García Reyes > Pedro Luis García-Reyes

Anthony De los Santos Gómez > Anthony De los Santos-Gómez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 AM

For example:

Pablo Alberto Pérez Rodríguez

In U.S. it would be:

Pablo A. Pérez
or
Pablo A. Pérez-Rodríguez

In U.S. you can not use your 2 surnames, hence some people put the hyphen.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post
For example:

Pablo Alberto Pérez Rodríguez

In U.S. it would be:

Pablo A. Pérez
or
Pablo A. Pérez-Rodríguez

In U.S. you can not use your 2 surnames, hence some people put the hyphen.
Out of curiosity, do people moving to the US from a Hispanic country generally drop one surname when anglicizing their name? Or hyphenate? Which is more common? Or maybe that's what your thread is about?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:03 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
In the US, people generally go by just one surname, even if they are Hispanic. I have seen hyphenated Hispanic surnames, but they are definitely not the norm.

Some non-Hispanics also have hyphenated surnames (such women who add their husband's surname to their maiden name, e.g. Mary Jones becomes Mary Jones-Green), but again, this is rather rare. Having two surnames is cumbersome. Most people don't want to bother with it.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Out of curiosity, do people moving to the US from a Hispanic country generally drop one surname when anglicizing their name? Or hyphenate? Which is more common? Or maybe that's what your thread is about?
I don't know, I have dual citizenship but I've never lived in US. I've seen university webpages of hispanic professors and some of them use their two surnames.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:21 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post
I don't know, I have dual citizenship but I've never lived in US. I've seen university webpages of hispanic professors and some of them use their two surnames.
Yea, I've worked with a few people from Mexico in my old and new (research) jobs, and none of them used their two surnames in their daily lives here - but on their resume and their linked in profiles, they listed two surnames (non hyphenated). At first, I naively thought they were listing their middle name, until I looked into it more (I was unfamiliar with the two surname system).

Old 07-27-2016, 12:32 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
to honor my spouse' father, I just added my last name to her last name when we got married. so her surname now is like this : Garcia-Cruz (Garcia her last name when she was single and Cruz my last name)

but of course our daughter follows my last name which is Cruz and her middle name is Garcia

Old 07-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Yea, I've worked with a few people from Mexico in my old and new (research) jobs, and none of them used their two surnames in their daily lives here - but on their resume and their linked in profiles, they listed two surnames (non hyphenated). At first, I naively thought they were listing their middle name, until I looked into it more (I was unfamiliar with the two surname system).
Same in Latinamerica: in the daily lives one surname is used, but for official documentation and in school two last names are written.
Peculiarly, in Brazil and Portugal they use mother's surname before father's surname.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
to honor my spouse' father, I just added my last name to her last name when we got married. so her surname now is like this : Garcia-Cruz (Garcia her last name when she was single and Cruz my last name)

but of course our daughter follows my last name which is Cruz and her middle name is Garcia
García, not as a surname?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Many people in the US put the mother's maiden name as the child's middle name.

For instance, my nephew is Malcolm Anderson Smith (name changed slightly). His mother's maiden name was Anderson. He has no other middle name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California