Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 09:03 AM

19 posts, read 17,009 times

Advertisements

Recently relocated to West Hollywood from a small town in SouthWest Florida. To be honest, I don't like it here. Because mainly it is too loud and crazy. I am just not used to living in apartments with neighbors playing loud music at midnight and all this crazy traffic.

I just graduated and will be applying to schools next year, and I am looking for a quite place where I could focus on studying. It has been impossible for me to study in Hollywood, every half hour I hear sirens or people screaming on the streets and it disturbs me. I do not drink or smoke, and I am not into this weekly partying thing.

Can anyone recommend a small, isolated town/city in California, where there is no heavy traffic and the rent is affordable for a student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 10:39 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,469 times
Chico, Arcata, Merced

Old 07-30-2016, 10:41 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Why do you want to stay in California in particular? Why not a small, isolated town in some other state?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:56 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
You'll be applying to schools next year? So are you looking for recommendations of good schools in small towns, or are you looking for someplace to live now, as you study to prepare for university admission?

Lots of small towns around CA. Do you want to be near the beach? Mountains? Do you care? What about affordability? Marin County, on the north end of San Francisco Bay, has some wonderful small towns, many on or near the ocean. It's expensive, but picturesque. The Central Coast has some moderate-sized towns, as does the north coast.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,885 times
In general, "small & isolated" eliminates many California "college towns". You might consider Arcata and Humboldt State. Definitely isolated. But, be advised, that part of California is not the quintessential warm, "palm tree" region. Humboldt County is part of the "Emerald Triangle"; three counties where Marijuana production is king. That, coupled with the college, makes for a significant "pothead culture".

Old 07-30-2016, 04:31 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,056 times
As others have mentioned in this thread, there are only a handful of small or smallish college towns in California. Arcata on the North Coast is home to Humboldt State University. Arcata can be compared to a "mini-Berkeley," with its liberal, hippy vibe. Other considerations would be Davis (UC Davis) and Merced (UC Merced), which are small cities. Now if you really want to get away from it all, there's Deep Springs College outside of Bishop in eastern California:

Home | Deep Springs College

Old 07-30-2016, 05:49 PM

19 posts, read 17,009 times
Thanks for all the responses. I will do a little more research later.
I was thinking about moving back to FL, but after UHAUL quoted me over $1,200 to rent a trailer (I paid $450 from FL to CA), I changed my mind. If I don't find a decent place, I may have to go back there, because the rent is pretty cheap and gas is less than $2 per gallon The school that I went to had free parking, and
I really don't care where to live, as long as I can get my things done and get accepted that's all I care about at the moment. I will be applying to all the schools in the country, so it doesn't really matter where I will live.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmazkamaz View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I will do a little more research later.
I was thinking about moving back to FL, but after UHAUL quoted me over $1,200 to rent a trailer (I paid $450 from FL to CA), I changed my mind. If I don't find a decent place, I may have to go back there, because the rent is pretty cheap and gas is less than $2 per gallon The school that I went to had free parking, and
I really don't care where to live, as long as I can get my things done and get accepted that's all I care about at the moment. I will be applying to all the schools in the country, so it doesn't really matter where I will live.
Well, rent is definitely not pretty cheap anywhere along or near the coast. It depends on what standard of living you want (studio? 1-br. apt? Cottage? Room/apt. share?), and other preferences. I've heard that Penske trucks rent cheaper than U-Haul, btw. If you're looking for a place to move to now, to get out of LA, you can look work up the coast from LA; try Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo; if you don't mind a little warmer inland, you can try Ojai, it's pretty nice. If cost is an issue, skip over the Monterey area and the Bay area, move north to Gualala and Mendocino before considering the far north coast, which is rainier. If you don't need to be around the coast, explore small, isolated agricultural towns like Willits up north(scenic). IDK, OP, the possibilities are endless in CA.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,871,801 times
The Central Valley is enormous and has tons of small affordable isolated towns,so your probably gonna have to travel around to figure out which town is to your liking...if you can afford living in Weho you can more than likely afford a really nice apartment in a nice community in the Central Valley.

I've been to a town called Visalia and from what i've seen it looked like a pretty cute town with lots of trees.
City of Visalia - Home

Old 07-30-2016, 07:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
The Central Valley is enormous and has tons of small affordable isolated towns,so your probably gonna have to travel around to figure out which town is to your liking...if you can afford living in Weho you can more than likely afford a really nice apartment in a nice community in the Central Valley.

I've been to a town called Visalia and from what i've seen it looked like a pretty cute town with lots of trees.
City of Visalia - Home

I moved to Visalia in the early 90s from So Cal and lived there for nearly 12 years. Visalia would be a good option and is one of the nicer cities in the San Joaquin Valley. The downtown area is pretty cool with plenty good restaurants and brew pubs. Sequoia National Park is 25 miles to the east. Visalia is home to the College of the Sequoias (COS), a two-year community college. In addition, Fresno Pacific University has a satellite center in Visalia and one can take Fresno State courses at COS. When I moved there in 1992, I found a nice studio apartment for $385 before purchasing a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California