Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:28 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times

Advertisements

In the past I believe in person ballots were counted first and if it wasn't close the mail in weren't even looked at.
Is it the same now? I want my vote to count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 08:16 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
"Provisional" ballots are last to be counted.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,481 times
Excellent question! I'm sure there is some "plan" in place, but since everything seems to be constantly changing, who knows?

But just imagine how long it's going to take to collect, verify signatures (which is how "they" say ballots will be authenticated), and record all the mail-in ballots. Seriously. Even if everyone throughout the whole process does everything flawlessly, it's gonna taka a loooooong time to accomplish this. This is not the same situation as counting the normal absentee ballots.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:00 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,975,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
In the past I believe in person ballots were counted first and if it wasn't close the mail in weren't even looked at.
Even if that may have been the case in the past (and it may just be the election equivalent of an urban legend), with the high percentage of voters that now vote by mail, there are always way too many tight races to call them on just the in person ballots.

Even if you believe that mail ballots are only counted if it is a close race, think about it this way... When mail ballots were 2-3% of ballots, If there were no elections within that margin, you might have been able to get away with not counting the mail ballots. When they are a third to half of all ballots, the odds that no race is within that margin are almost nil. If they needed to run your ballot through for one race, the machine would count it for all races. Your ballot is going to get counted.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
No matter what: your ballot will be counted, and yes, I believe they are the last.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:01 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You need to vote in person, then. A lot of people are changing plans now, from mail-in to in-person, for the very reason you give. I'm one of them.

Interestingly, WA State has no in-person voting option any more. So...we'll see how that plays out. They can't count an entire state's ballots "last". This should be worth a ring-side seat with popcorn, when the time comes...

Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM

130,455 posts, read 12,124,678 times
oops double post

Old 10-05-2020, 11:01 AM

130,455 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You need to vote in person, then. A lot of people are changing plans now, from mail-in to in-person, for the very reason you give. I'm one of them.

Interestingly, WA State has no in-person voting option any more. So...we'll see how that plays out. They can't count an entire state's ballots "last". This should be worth a ring-side seat with popcorn, when the time comes...
California have also switched to mail in ballots, only. This started some years ago, so it is not new. However, I belive they will have some precincts open for drop offs, or those who lost the ballot.

It makes sense from an economic viewpoint. Staffing & renting polling stations is expensive, especially when you consider how low the turnout can be.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:21 PM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
"Provisional" ballots are last to be counted.
Election Myths: Busted!
https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ele...election-myths

Old 10-05-2020, 12:25 PM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Mail-in ballots do get rejected -- and there are a few main reasons:

- The signature on the ballot envelope doesn't match the signature on file at the Registrar's office
- The voter forgot to sign the ballot envelope
- The ballot arrives too late to be counted, or it was sent too late (it's postmarked after Election Day)

In California you have a chance to "cure" your ballot if it's flagged for a signature mismatch. That means your county registrar has to alert you to the problem.

And for peace of mind, there's a handy online Ballot Tracker service from the California Secretary of State's office.

The "Where's My Ballot" feature will tell you if your ballot has arrived at your county election office and whether it's been counted. You can even get text message alerts.

https://laist.com/elections/2020/faq...ia.php#counted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: