Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,292,552 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as a temporary tax increase as this proposition was sold. Calif. teachers are forced to give some of their pay go to the teachers union. In this 38 million state there are LOTS of teachers. Their union is the most powerful on the planet.
Democrats are always howling about Citizens United. Unions give far more to tax raising propositions and Democrats than any company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,042,071 times
I am a moderate liberal and I tend to be against anything that the government servant unions want!

The proper liberal way to do public education would be to fund and control it at the state level, so the poorest communities actually get the best schools, and ban voluntary donations to the school. But it seems that will never happen because people pay more for a single family house in "an excellent school district" and implementing my idea would threaten that system.

I tend to vote for Republicans sometimes on the state and local level. If we can't do public schools properly -- put the best schools in the poorest neighborhoods -- then maybe the Republicans are right, that instead of public schools, we should give people vouchers so they can go to private schools.

I would definitely agree with you OP as far as voting against this proposition.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:01 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,255,058 times
I prefer vouchers than those charter schools

or property tax credit (limit is the property tax due) to tuition paid if children goes to private school

Old 08-04-2016, 02:01 PM

4,524 posts, read 12,333,515 times
High earners in notoriously high tax New York City have a lower marginal tax rate than high earners in the entirety of California. The top New York brackets are 8.82% (state) and 3% (NYC) for a top marginal rate of 11.82%. California's current, temporary top rate is 13.3%.

That high NYS/NYC income tax rate was a big driver behind the relocation of many corporate HQs to Stamford, CT. Over the course of decades CA's tax rate will affect business decisions, particularly because this is the rate being paid personally by the decision makers!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:29 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,784,784 times
scroll half down page for spending per pupil, by state, for K-12 education on first link

Education Spending Per Student by State

New York | See which states spend the most, least per pupil on public education | Deseret News

Old 08-04-2016, 05:17 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,935,747 times
People are surprised? Until Jerry Brown came along (the 2nd time), have the democrats in California ever "rolled back" union supported tax increases?

I'm being serious, can anyone point out if that's happened in the past 25 years in California?

Old 08-04-2016, 05:29 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,306,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
High earners in notoriously high tax New York City have a lower marginal tax rate than high earners in the entirety of California. The top New York brackets are 8.82% (state) and 3% (NYC) for a top marginal rate of 11.82%. California's current, temporary top rate is 13.3%.

That high NYS/NYC income tax rate was a big driver behind the relocation of many corporate HQs to Stamford, CT. Over the course of decades CA's tax rate will affect business decisions, particularly because this is the rate being paid personally by the decision makers!
The top marginal tax rate here in NYC is 12.7%, broken down as 8.82% (state) + 3.88% (local).

Including the Estate Tax (which applies to many top earners, as they're worth more than $5.43M), the top marginal tax rate in NYC is near 80%. Yes, that's Eighty Percent (not a typo).

39.6% (federal) + 1.45% (medicare) + 12.7% (state+local) = 53.75%. Of that remaining 46.25%, the Estate Tax takes another 56% (40% federal + 16% state), for an extra 25.9%. That adds up to 79.65% (53.75% + 25.9%).

There are some deductions, overlaps, and ways to shield assets from one's estate but that's the statutory rate. If 80% is not enough, I'm curious what is.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:34 PM

661 posts, read 684,994 times
Many of the Stamford businesses are flowing back into NYC; I'm thinking UBS but I'm sure there's others. California sure seems to retain and create high value businesses despite its tax regime.

How many people are paying that 80% marginal rate? Income taxes plus an estate tax? The estate tax alone hits like .02% of the population. I'm not crying too much over multi millionaires paying taxes. They'll still be eating well, driving fancy cars and living in fancy houses. Plus if you have that money then are you really paying those rates? Doubt it, you're hiring pro tax advisers at that point. It's like the corporate tax rate, high enough so folks can b**** about how high it is but in reality no one ever pays that rate, obscuring the fact that the actual taxes paid is low.

As far as the state of public schooling, I agree it's an absolute shame that we're damning poor kids to sub par schools while those fortunate enough to afford a nice neighborhood get better schooling for their children. However I don't want to see my tax dollars go to a voucher so parents can subsidize sending junior off to some super religious teach nothing charter or home school program.

Last edited by TheFlats; 08-04-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,255,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
I don't want to see my tax dollars go to a voucher so parents can subsidize sending junior off to some super religious teach nothing charter or home school program.
those with school kids should have property tax credit to the extent of the tuition they pay if they send their kids to private schools

that way you don't have to "subsidized" the children of others..you still pay your prop tax to be spent on salaries of county employees

just my proposal

Old 08-04-2016, 07:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The top marginal tax rate here in NYC is 12.7%, broken down as 8.82% (state) + 3.88% (local).

Including the Estate Tax (which applies to many top earners, as they're worth more than $5.43M), the top marginal tax rate in NYC is near 80%. Yes, that's Eighty Percent (not a typo).

39.6% (federal) + 1.45% (medicare) + 12.7% (state+local) = 53.75%. Of that remaining 46.25%, the Estate Tax takes another 56% (40% federal + 16% state), for an extra 25.9%. That adds up to 79.65% (53.75% + 25.9%).

There are some deductions, overlaps, and ways to shield assets from one's estate but that's the statutory rate. If 80% is not enough, I'm curious what is.
That is for salary type income. The rich have their major assets in tax free bonds and such, not just in taxable income sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: