Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 07:02 PM

285 posts, read 262,314 times

Advertisements

First off, sorry if I'm in the wrong location to post this. Figured the state I'm considering living in would be the better place to go.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm planning on moving out of state eventually. Not now, just in the future when I got the funds to do so. I was looking for an LGBT friendly state, particularly trans friendly, and not too racist since I'm also African American. I love culture, food, history, art, and museums (I'm boring, I know). When talking to a friend who lives there and my dad, they recommended California in the future. So I'm asking my questions here since I assume many people from California post here.

1) Weather. What's it like? I hate the cold weather here since I moved here (from IL originally). I enjoy hot weather, even humid weather feels nice. I love the rain as well.
2) Best city in particular for me? Where I'd find myself safest?
3) I'm not a fan of the whole "one with nature" thing out here, but I sure as hell aint moving back to the ghetto. So what are the suburbs like (I guess)?
4) I know it's expensive, but I need semi-exact numbers. How much might a one bedroom apt. cost? Gas?
5) Might I easily find work as a vet tech?
6) Hell, how is the job market out there?
7) Education is a must for me. Would I do better staying in MN to pursue my vet tech degree or are the schools out there good enough for out-of-state tuition costs?
8) Anything else I missed but you feel necessary to add, please do so.

I really would appreciate a little help as I really do want to move out an California seemed a good match so far.

I also notice people get the impression that this move will be me moving from my parents house and on my own for the first time. By the time I'm ready to move I'll be around 22 (19 now) and haven't lived with my mom since I graduated high school, literally two months after and I was out. I can take care of myself and really don't feel like getting the whole "you're moving too fast in life, slow down" commentary. I seriously hate this state. I would much rather be out of here, buuuuuut this job is gonna take me places so I'm stuck here temporarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
First piece of advice, really the only one you need is: Bring money, or at least make sure you are going to have a dependendable job that will pay you enough to afford California's cost of living. California can be a decent place to live if you have money to afford to live here; it can be a challenging place to live if you don't.

In terms of rents, this will give you and idea of what median rents in the major cities in California are running right now: https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...t-rentonomics/ I emphasize "right now" because rents in most cities here are going up every year. Of course, if you're open to sharing with a roommate (or roommates), or living in a less desirable area, you can save a little.

According to Indeed.com, the median salary for a vet tech in California is around $34,000 (see: Veterinary Technician Salary in California | Indeed.com). I've seen other data saying that vet techs earn a bit more, but median is still under $40,000. That won't go far in any of California's major metro areas. So, perhaps you might want to consider alternative plans for supporting yourself or at least gain enough experience and specialized training before your move so that you have better chances of earning higher pay as a vet tech.

No one can really tell you where to live; only you can decide on that. Most of California's major metro areas are pretty safe and accepting places for LGBT folks, so don't think you *have* to live in San Francisco. Some African Americans who move to California are surprised at how few African Americans there are in most of California (only about 6% of the population is African American). That may or may not be of concern to you but thought I'd mention it just in case it does matter.

Have you visited California before? It's always a good idea to visit before deciding a place is where you want to move. Spend a few days a couple of the cities that interest you most. While you're here, don't just do all the touristy things; take a look at some apartments in areas that you *think* you can afford (use sites like Apartment.com and Zillow.com to map out affordable areas), line up some interviews for jobs, attend vet tech networking events (if such a thing exists). Of course, you'll also want to see where you personally feel most comfortable and accepted as well.

If you are meant to live in California, then with some planning, you can make it happen. Don't think of yourself as "stuck" where you are; think of yourself as in the planning stages of moving where you are supposed to be. Just remember the money part.

Best wishes!

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-03-2016 at 09:04 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
7) Education is a must for me. Would I do better staying in MN to pursue my vet tech degree or are the schools out there good enough for out-of-state tuition costs?
Sorry, I missed question 7. In order to be eligible for instate tuition at any California public community college or four year college, you must establish residency one year before your first day of classes. That means you must move to California for a purpose other than attending college, get a permanent address, get a job, and do things to prove you're here permanently, such as getting a California driver's license, one year before you start school.

So, if education is a priority, you may be better served by getting your education underway where you are located now, instead of having to wait to move to California then wait another year to get started with school. In that time, you could be well on your way to your degree.

You'll also want to compare the cost of attending a public university or community in your state to attending one here. Please also keep in mind that even if you have been supporting yourself, until you reach age 24, your eligiblity for financial aid will take into account your parents' income and assets.

It's not clear to me whether you have already completed your vet tech education and want to continue your education in something else, or if you are looking to become a vet tech.

If it is the latter (you plan to study to become a vet tech), here's a list of veterinary tech programs in California: Vet Tech Schools in California - Veterinary Technician Programs in CA

Use google to find a similiar list in your home state, then compare costs at the various schools.

You may also find these sites helpful for researching other educational options in California, should you also be interested in studying something else:

https://secure.californiacolleges.edu/

College Alphabetic Listing

CSUMentor - Home

University of California - Admissions

http://www.aiccu.edu/

Since education is a priority for you, you probably have already read up on financial aid, but here are two excellent resources for learning more about the types of financial aid available, whether you go to school here or in your home state:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/

Good luck with your plans for your future!

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-03-2016 at 09:05 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 09:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
I think RosieSD's answers were great.

Personally, I think California is a very tough place to live for people of ordinary means (and I would put Vet Techs in that category). The places near the coast are pretty much out of reach for you and even some of the nicer inland metro areas like Sacramento are getting much more expensive. Sure, you can live with roommates and whatnot...but you're already thinking in terms of having your own 1BR apartment--that kind of housing is not very easily obtainable for people earning Vet Tech salaries in places like San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Los Angeles, and San Diego (essentially all the major metro areas near the coast). It may very well take TWO vet tech salaries in order to comfortably afford that 1BR apartment. That might be cool with you in your 20s....but for the vast majority of people, it gets old fast. The inland parts of California are not much to write home about. They are not the California you dream about or see on TV. Inland California is mostly pretty blah, with above average living costs and above average crime (and smog). The only area being the exception would be Sacramento, which is a decent place, but not a "dream" place.

It really doesn't make much sense to come here to get your education. Do that in Minnesota where it will be cheaper.

If you want to live in a place with better weather, I think somewhere like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, or Albuquerque would be much better for you in terms of living a decent lifestyle on a vet tech salary. Pretty much all metro areas of reasonable size are gay friendly these days.

I say all of this as a gay man who earns a modest salary here in California's San Francisco Bay Area (although still more than a vet tech). I worry about the rent being raised to the point where I won't be able to afford my studio apartment. That is no joke. If I didn't have a merciful landlord, I would already have been priced out--and most landlords here are not merciful--they jack up the rent by large amounts like clockwork. Fortunately, I've been saving money consistently for 20 years, so I have a pretty big cushion to fall back on if I get priced out. But the bar for entry into California is much, much higher now than when I moved here. At some point, I think I will end up leaving because it will just be too expensive for me to live here.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-03-2016 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 06:39 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
First off, sorry if I'm in the wrong location to post this. Figured the state I'm considering living in would be the better place to go.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm planning on moving out of state eventually. Not now, just in the future when I got the funds to do so. I was looking for an LGBT friendly state, particularly trans friendly, and not too racist since I'm also African American. I love culture, food, history, art, and museums (I'm boring, I know). When talking to a friend who lives there and my dad, they recommended California in the future. So I'm asking my questions here since I assume many people from California post here.

1) Weather. What's it like? I hate the cold weather here since I moved here (from IL originally). I enjoy hot weather, even humid weather feels nice. I love the rain as well.
2) Best city in particular for me? Where I'd find myself safest?
3) I'm not a fan of the whole "one with nature" thing out here, but I sure as hell aint moving back to the ghetto. So what are the suburbs like (I guess)?
4) I know it's expensive, but I need semi-exact numbers. How much might a one bedroom apt. cost? Gas?
5) Might I easily find work as a vet tech?
6) Hell, how is the job market out there?
8) Anything else I missed but you feel necessary to add, please do so.

I really would appreciate a little help as I really do want to move out an California seemed a good match so far.

I also notice people get the impression that this move will be me moving from my parents house and on my own for the first time. By the time I'm ready to move I'll be around 22 (19 now) and haven't lived with my mom since I graduated high school, literally two months after and I was out. I can take care of myself and really don't feel like getting the whole "you're moving too fast in life, slow down" commentary. I seriously hate this state. I would much rather be out of here, buuuuuut this job is gonna take me places so I'm stuck here temporarily.
I'm a Minnesotan, and I cannot for the life of my understand how people think California has a certain weather. Anyone even idly thinking of moving there should understand that it's one of the largest states physically (the 3rd largest, to be exact), its main axis runs north-south, it has a coast and high mountain ranges - all of these make for a great diversity in weather.

Yes, I get that in Minnesota the weather here fairly homogeneous, so maybe you assume all states are like that. But again, if you're sufficiently acquainted with California as to be pondering a move, you should understand that weather-wise, San Diego is not San Francisco, Palm Springs is not Redding, Fresno is not Mammoth.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:50 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm a Minnesotan, and I cannot for the life of my understand how people think California has a certain weather. Anyone even idly thinking of moving there should understand that it's one of the largest states physically (the 3rd largest, to be exact), its main axis runs north-south, it has a coast and high mountain ranges - all of these make for a great diversity in weather.

Yes, I get that in Minnesota the weather here fairly homogeneous, so maybe you assume all states are like that. But again, if you're sufficiently acquainted with California as to be pondering a move, you should understand that weather-wise, San Diego is not San Francisco, Palm Springs is not Redding, Fresno is not Mammoth.
True enough. But, as a fellow Minnesotan, it's almost all easy weather here by comparison. No place in California has the muggy summer weather. Only up in the mountains has any real cold and snow - and, at that, not the freezing / sub-zero for weeks / months on end. Inland from the coast certainly gets hotter than hell, though dry in summers.

There's nothing I miss about Minnesota weather. Nothing.
And nearly bug-free by comparison too.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
True enough. But, as a fellow Minnesotan, it's almost all easy weather here by comparison. No place in California has the muggy summer weather. Only up in the mountains has any real cold and snow - and, at that, not the freezing / sub-zero for weeks / months on end. Inland from the coast certainly gets hotter than hell, though dry in summers.

There's nothing I miss about Minnesota weather. Nothing.
And nearly bug-free by comparison too.
Agreed. No weather in ca is comparable to minn unless you live on a 14k peak! Honestly, op, maybe a place like new orleans would fit the bill better? Tolerant of lgbt, lots of blacks, humid (which you said you like ), mild winters, and WAY cheaper to live. Trying to make it on a vet tech salary in la, bay area, or sd sounds BRUTAL. Just not a good lifestyle. And, generally, ca is just not humid.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:51 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Agreed. No weather in ca is comparable to minn unless you live on a 14k peak! Honestly, op, maybe a place like new orleans would fit the bill better? Tolerant of lgbt, lots of blacks, humid (which you said you like ), mild winters, and WAY cheaper to live. Trying to make it on a vet tech salary in la, bay area, or sd sounds BRUTAL. Just not a good lifestyle. And, generally, ca is just not humid.
Agreed. Top to bottom.

Of course there is also the reality that no other places are going to have 'hot dish' - unless you stay close to home like Iowa, Nebraska, Dakotas ... and, of course there's always Wisconsin! So which is it going to be? LGBT culture or hot dish?! Can't really have both.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

This is such a great post because it is so true that people from other parts of the country who say they're moving to California "for the weather" yet seem to know very little about the weather in different parts of the state. I have to admit that when I first moved to California from the East Coast many years ago, I too was shocked to discover that is sometimes snows less than 30 miles from downtown San Diego.

Anyone considering moving to California "for the weather" needs to figure out what type of weather they want, and then focus their search on the parts of the state that meet that desire. If you like "hot" weather, then maybe Palm Springs is a better choice than San Francisco.

Also, it is a good idea to visit in different seasons. That "hot" weather in Palm Springs that you love in January may not be so much fun in August.

Finally, as my dad used to say when I'd tell him how nice "the weather" was in San Diego: "you can't eat the weather." In other words, if you're going to move somewhere, make sure that there is something besides "The weather" to justify the move.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
New Orleans is a good suggestion for the original poster. Other warm weather cities that might also be worth a look: Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California