Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yep, it all boils down to tradeoffs. Do nothing, lose the opportunity. Do something, risk living out in the boonies. What is he willing to give up for something else? Maybe something, maybe nothing? Only the OP can answer that one.

Also reminds of an old movie. You can take the slicker out of the city but you can't take the city out of the slicker... Or maybe you can??? Haha

Derek
I love that movie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 02:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Yeah, I always stop at Schat's and pick up a few baked goods. Got another one in Mammoth.

I've been going to (more like through) Bishop since the '50s with my parents, and on my own in later life. I am extremely familiar with Bishop due to my summer fishing and camping trips, and winter skiing trips at Mammoth.

To be blunt, there is not much of anything in Bishop. It is not a destination town, more like a portal town to the Eastern Sierra. There is little in the way of shopping or dining. People live there either because they grew up there or they came to jobs in the area (Forest Service, Fish & Game, L.A. DWP, BLM, etc.).

To be happy there you must be extremely interested in the outdoors: hiking, fishing, hunting, fishing. You must also be willing to live in a very small town with limited shopping and dining. It's a bit of a drive up 395 then 203 to Mammoth which has plenty of dining mainly due to skiing in the winter.

Also you will have to be the kind of outgoing person who can meet people and pick up friends easily or your social life will be very limited.

I think you would do well to consider Bishop as a temporary stop-over in your career, maybe plan to live there a few or several years then move on.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:21 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
I must thank the contributors to this thread. Because of you, you lit the fire under my butt and I finally made it to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest yesterday. What an awesome place! The two NFS rangers working in the visitor center commute every day from Bishop. Said it took him an hour. And, he's been doing it for something like 25-30 years. Very knowledgeable about the forest and its geology/botany/history/etc.

Only had time to trek to the old Mexican Mine cabins and then the 4.5 mile Methuselah Trail. Hike wasn't physically difficult, but at 10,000 feet elevation, we had to make frequent rest stops to catch our breath. I slept well last night and woke up only mildly sore. (I'm 65. You 'youngsters' won't have any problems.)

Going back real soon to hike the much shorter, but supposedly more photogenic Discovery Trail, then drive to and hike the Patriarch Grove trails. A bit concerned about that drive because the ranger said that there are an average of six cars/trucks a week that get flat tires on that road because they drive too fast. Said if you drive slow, the tires just go over the sharp rocks that make up the roadbed. Drive faster and the rocks just slice into the tires. He also said that AAA doesn't come up there and it's on the order of $1,000 to get your tire fixed and back on the road.

A picture from yesterday . . .

Bonus picture:

Right as we started down the mountain, I looked off to the west and noticed the smoke. "Hey! There's a fire burning." "You sure?" "Yeah, live your whole life in California and you learn to recognize wildfire smoke pretty quickly." Further down the mountain, when we went around a bend, we saw the source of the fire. It's being called the "Owens River Fire", and is burning on the east side of 395 about halfway between Mammoth and June Lake, (neither are threatened).

As of an hour or so ago, it has burned about 6,000 acres and is 20% contained. Highly suspected to having been set by an idiot bipedal humanoid organism. Sheech! Some biologicals should not be entitled to be called a "person".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-18-2016, 10:28 PM

492 posts, read 405,909 times
MtnSurfer, Your photos are magnificent.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:58 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenah View Post
MtnSurfer, Your photos are magnificent.
Thanks, Xenah. I have a special place in my heart for the Eastern Sierra. It really inspires me.

Derek

Old 09-24-2016, 10:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Bishop is the biggest town along highway 395 between Lancaster and Carson City, but it is darned remote. That said, you are intensely close to some of California's most dramatic nature -- the eastern Sierras. You're in your 50s (as am I). Were the opportunity of a dream job with the USFS to become a possibility, I'd probably consider it a "now or never" opportunity. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:11 PM

82 posts, read 94,709 times
Someone once said something like, "I'd rather die regretting the things I had done than the things I had never done"?

Old 05-06-2018, 04:51 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Great Thai place in the Bishop airport.
Nearby to Manzanar, White Mountains, Hatchery, and more.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Great Thai place in the Bishop airport.
Nearby to Manzanar, White Mountains, Hatchery, and more.
True! Voted best Thai food at a rural airport! Well, it could be.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:23 PM

17 posts, read 40,783 times
Default Bishop

Hi, my wife and I are born and raised Michiganders. We moved out to Bend Oregon a few years ago, and lived there for a couple years. We had a great time, but found ourselves priced out of the housing market so we moved back to Michigan. Now we have the West Coast fever again, and are looking for a place like Bend, but maybe with a little bit warmer winters. Of course in a place like Bishop, employment is a big concern, but we both currently have a pipeline towards great job offers.
So my question- without knowing much about the history of the area, is why hasn’t Bishop taken off population wise? I understand that LA owns a lot of the land, but still it seems that Bishop could grow up since it can’t grow out. Great geography, great climate.
What’s the scoop? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California