Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 AM

47 posts, read 408,840 times

Advertisements

if your thinking about a southern city like charleston, savannah, ect theres really nothing really like that in california. west coast has a completely different vibe and atmosphere in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM

79 posts, read 212,023 times
UkiahRoXX REally

Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,321 times
good call on Chico, I'd suggest the foothills in general, towns like Jackson.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 AM

152 posts, read 878,202 times
Lots of pickups and gunracks in places like La Jolla or Carmel.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onliner1 View Post
If a southerner was to move to California, where would they move to if they wanted to find a city (or town) that feels the most like home?
I would strongly suggest northern California. You would not feel at home in southern CA. I spent a few years in northern CA as a kid and I remember it being a lot more country. Orland, Redding, Redbluff. Went to a lot of rodeos, carnivals, etc.. I don't know how much it has change I can just say that southern CA is nothing remotely like the south.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,930 times
Well, Bakersfield has a very rural/cowboy atmosphere despite growing ridiculously fast in terms of population. There are a ton of trucks and a very conservative feel overall. However, taxes are higher in California than in most places and if I wanted to live in a town/city with a southern atmosphere I'd probably just choose to live in a Southern state. Bakersfield doesn't have beach weather. It gets cold (on average about 40 degrees) in the winter and hot (on average about 95 degrees at least) in the summer, we experience all four seasons. Plus, I'm starting to sense some white flight. Either that or the minority numbers are growing with each truckful of illegals that comes in.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
Lots of pickups and gunracks in places like La Jolla or Carmel.
Sheesh, there's one in every crowd.

I'll add Susanville to my former recommendation of Clearlake, except the weather's a lot different - drier and more exteme. But Susanville is deeply religous, conservative and xenophobic, and offers a degree in gunsmithing at the local community college. There's work at either the state prison or the local hospital.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:02 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I would look somewhere in the Central Valley or other small towns in the Sierra Nevada's or Southern CA. Places in rural Northern CA between the Central Valley and Coast like Ukiah, Clearlake, ect.. are all pretty liberal. I'm not sure that matters to you or not, but unlike most rural areas, this area is VERY liberal. But it definitely still has that small town atmosphere. My dad and brother live in Ukiah and they love fishing, hunting, NASCAR, ect... CA is pretty different overall so you won't find much that really resembles the south. New Orleans and SF seem somewhat similar being that they are both old, compact, and have really great architecture and history but beyond that they are VERY different people wise, culture, economy, ect....

Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
What part of the South? That makes a difference....

Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM

128 posts, read 781,936 times
Los Angeles will remind you of Houston. East LA would remind you Calle Ocho. Central Valley cities never struck me as country South. They tend to be non-descript and overwhelmingly composed of migrant workers. Though I did find it disturbing that the first few responses refer the OP to the most backwater parts of California when it was specifically requested which CA settlement feels most like a Southern CITY. You know, like Miami, Savannah, New Orleans, places with level of urbanism that should embarass the state that gave us San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California