Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 04:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times

Advertisements

{I originally posted this on a different thread, but I then realized it was way off topic from the original thread subject, so ...}

I just re-read Ecotopia (I had read it when it came out, back in the 70s). At the time of it's writing, it was considered 'way out there' science fiction, ridiculous, and a crazy hippy-leftist rant. It turns out to be (1) an amusing read in hindsight, and (2) quite the harbinger in many areas. (It chronicles daily life in the pacific coast states which had broken off from the U.S. and formed a new nation : Ecotopia.)

Some of the 'crazy' ideas mentioned in the book :
(1) Recycling by everybody
(2) Solar power being common (Photo-voltaic)
(3) Thermal energy from the hot springs in Sonoma
(4) Energy being generated from temp differences in the Ocean
(5) many aspects of the Internet (!!!)
(6) eBooks!

And many, many other things.

Anybody read this book? If so, thoughts? (If not, your library may have a copy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 05:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
{I originally posted this on a different thread, but I then realized it was way off topic from the original thread subject, so ...}

I just re-read Ecotopia (I had read it when it came out, back in the 70s). At the time of it's writing, it was considered 'way out there' science fiction, ridiculous, and a crazy hippy-leftist rant. It turns out to be (1) an amusing read in hindsight, and (2) quite the harbinger in many areas. (It chronicles daily life in the pacific coast states which had broken off from the U.S. and formed a new nation : Ecotopia.)

(6) eBooks!

Anybody read this book? If so, thoughts? (If not, your library may have a copy.)
The main thing that did not occur:

From a review:

"Innovative and unsettling ideas unravel everything that Weston knows to be true about government, economics, and human nature and ultimately force him to choose between two competing views of civilization."

The Gov'ts of the 3 States are not fitting the book one little bit.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:

(6) eBooks!

I was a teen aged Trotskyite so I loved the book back then. When I read it now, I find the authoritarian aspects of the government offensive. Callenbach was also way too optimistic about how much vertically integrated manufacturing would exist in the Bay Area in the future time frame depicted ... of course, in fairness, could anyone foresee the massive outsourcing and offshoring that would occur?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The main thing that did not occur:

From a review:

"Innovative and unsettling ideas unravel everything that Weston knows to be true about government, economics, and human nature and ultimately force him to choose between two competing views of civilization."

The Gov'ts of the 3 States are not fitting the book one little bit.
Well, the revolution described in the book (existing as *history* to the protagonist) didn't happen, so ... of course not! I found it very interesting that there's 'way out there' stuff in the book have actually become commonplace. (I'm not talking about the political stuff.)

Another book that was surprisingly prophetic was Heinlein's 'Friday'. (Again, not the political stuff.) Among other things, he accurately described today's internet : accessing the library of congress via the 'net, buying groceries and other items on-line, making video calls, etc.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Well, the revolution described in the book (existing as *history* to the protagonist) didn't happen, so ... of course not! I found it very interesting that there's 'way out there' stuff in the book have actually become commonplace. (I'm not talking about the political stuff.)

Another book that was surprisingly prophetic was Heinlein's 'Friday'. (Again, not the political stuff.) Among other things, he accurately described today's internet : accessing the library of congress via the 'net, buying groceries and other items on-line, making video calls, etc.
True, there are several books that gave us a gimps of the future (The now). Just a bit over optimistic in some areas, but were fun to read.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM

191 posts, read 311,637 times
We sure haven't made much progress toward the public transportation described in the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: