Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,345 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in central california. been in the healthcare field as a nurse for nearly 10 years working at a local hospital. i'm looking to change and work at a different facility. i've been trying to research and read up on federal and state jobs (VA hospital vs state prison/state hospital system)i understand the pay is generous and the retirement benefits are great for government jobs.

in terms of benefits, short term monthly insurance cost/premium and long term benefits, such as retirement (pension, tax deferred plan with some matching contribution percentage by the employer, and having health insurance covered upon retirement), which should i lean towards? my job currently doesn't have much in the way of long term benefits other than paid time off, sick leave, 401k, and health insurance. i love the health insurace, $50 a month vs $350 a month with obamacare.

i'm leaning towards landing a job with the state simply because the work is less demanding compared to VA hospital. but am i missing out on any benefits by not working with federal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 01:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Federal jobs have the transfer option to any state or US Territory benefit, so your sick time and vacation time will transfer, but your pay may not be the same as California has some higher COL rates built in that other states don't.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:12 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noctis View Post
Hi, I live in central california. been in the healthcare field as a nurse for nearly 10 years working at a local hospital. i'm looking to change and work at a different facility. i've been trying to research and read up on federal and state jobs (VA hospital vs state prison/state hospital system)i understand the pay is generous and the retirement benefits are great for government jobs.

in terms of benefits, short term monthly insurance cost/premium and long term benefits, such as retirement (pension, tax deferred plan with some matching contribution percentage by the employer, and having health insurance covered upon retirement), which should i lean towards? my job currently doesn't have much in the way of long term benefits other than paid time off, sick leave, 401k, and health insurance. i love the health insurace, $50 a month vs $350 a month with obamacare.

i'm leaning towards landing a job with the state simply because the work is less demanding compared to VA hospital. but am i missing out on any benefits by not working with federal?
I know it's not a government agency, but have you looked into Kaiser? My ex daughter-in-law works there as a nurse practitioner and loves it. As far as federal vs state I would suggest you look at Counties like Contra Costa that hire nurses, they pay well and have defined benefit pensions and excellent benefits. Here's the pay scale, I'm sure you can find benefit information on their website. http://www.contracosta.ca.gov/Docume...Home/View/1392

Or if you can stand the environment you might try the Caifornia Prison system, all 33 prisons hire nurses and they have a newly built prison hospital in Stockton.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Also should mention that VA healthcare jobs mean that almost all your patients will be male. This has been changing a bit in the last decade, but by and large, males. So if your specialty is labor and delivery, keep this in mind.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
As one who has been in CA prisons, both male and female, and state hospitals -0 not as an inmate or patient - and who spent his last 10 years of state service dealing with forensic mental health issues legislatively I would not recommend those venues for you. To say they're raw is an understatement. One of the state veterans homes would be far more pleasant. You might want to check and see what's available with or through the CA Department of Health Care Services or one of the university hospitals like UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I think the federal system would be more stable. You never know if the prisons may end up privatized or the state budget may cut jobs. Also, from what I have heard, the state pensions and benefits won't be so great soon, but this is my old brain's memory working on non-specifics LOL.

At any rate, with a federal job, you'd just have more options, is my thinking. And more long-term stability.

I met a young man at a dog park in Redding when I lived there two years ago. He took a federal job he didn't love in that area, with the intention of moving to Thailand, when the chance came up, because his wife was from Thailand and they both love it there. Apparently, there are federal jobs all over the world, and you can transfer once you're in the system.

I'm just thinking the pension plans, etc., within the federal system would be much harder to change than any state system, which would give you more long-term security.

But, I don't know the specifics. Just throwing it out there. I know some retired CA state workers with fantastic pensions and health plans, but I've heard things are changing.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think the federal system would be more stable. You never know if the prisons may end up privatized or the state budget may cut jobs. Also, from what I have heard, the state pensions and benefits won't be so great soon, but this is my old brain's memory working on non-specifics LOL.

At any rate, with a federal job, you'd just have more options, is my thinking. And more long-term stability.

I met a young man at a dog park in Redding when I lived there two years ago. He took a federal job he didn't love in that area, with the intention of moving to Thailand, when the chance came up, because his wife was from Thailand and they both love it there. Apparently, there are federal jobs all over the world, and you can transfer once you're in the system.

I'm just thinking the pension plans, etc., within the federal system would be much harder to change than any state system, which would give you more long-term security.

But, I don't know the specifics. Just throwing it out there. I know some retired CA state workers with fantastic pensions and health plans, but I've heard things are changing.
There have been and likely are some additional changes coming for state civil service employees but these changes can only be made going forward. Whatever contract for pensions and retirement benefits are in place at the time of hire must be honored regardless of what terms employees hired later on are given.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

There have been and likely are some additional changes coming for state civil service employees but these changes can only be made going forward. Whatever contract for pensions and retirement benefits are in place at the time of hire must be honored regardless of what terms employees hired later on are given. My wife and I, both first hired about 35 years ago, received better benefits in retirement than some hired some time after us and the state has a contractual requirement to maintain them for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California