Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 AM

22 posts, read 18,609 times

Advertisements

Currently living in South FL and I'm dying to relocate to Cali. It's pretty boring where we currently live and it's way too spread out. Looking for a neighborhood that has some degree of walkability, diversity, nice parks, and decent amenities and entertainment. There is no sense of community where we live and we're a young family that likes to socialize and have plenty to do on the weekends. I'm a Nurse and my husband is a HS English teacher, and we also have a 2 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 03:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Look at Redfin for recent sold prices of homes.

I do not believe you can buy a 3bd 2ba home in the nice parts of either of those cities for under $400k, and this post really belongs in the Los Angeles sub section.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaHobbs View Post
Currently living in South FL and I'm dying to relocate to Cali. It's pretty boring where we currently live and it's way too spread out. Looking for a neighborhood that has some degree of walkability, diversity, nice parks, and decent amenities and entertainment. There is no sense of community where we live and we're a young family that likes to socialize and have plenty to do on the weekends. I'm a Nurse and my husband is a HS English teacher, and we also have a 2 year old.
Go to Zillow.com. Do a search for the areas that interest you, using $400,000 as your maximum. Don't just look at the current "for sale" prices; also look at what homes actually sold for, as the competitive housing market here often leads to homes selling above asking price.

You'll quickly see what that will buy you in Long Beach or Whittier.

Crimemapping.com and Greatschools.com can help you further understand the areas where homes in your price range exist.

Not happy with a condo/townhome, a 700 square foot fixer, or so-so schools? You may want to look further inland -- say, Riverside County, Sacramento, or the Central Valley. But that may not match up with your "Cali" dream.

Of course, first you'll need to find jobs.

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-01-2016 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 01:52 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Once you find an area in those cities that interests you Google the zip code(s) to check the demographics for racial/ethnic makeup since that seems to be a concern for you.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaHobbs View Post
Looking for a neighborhood that has some degree of ...diversity
BeauCharles has suggested a good way to check if you are looking at all for racial diversity, as you have stated that you are Black. Also check the US Census. The predominant minorities in CA are Hispanic and Asian. Please note that the percentage of Black persons in CA is relatively low, and in some cites, minuscule.
For example (from US Census):

CA: 6.5% Black
Whittier city: 1.3% Black

Whereas:
Philadelphia city: 43.4% Black

Old 11-02-2016, 11:45 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
I think the key beyond affordability is diversity as in many races and cultures. The LA area in general is very good for that depending on where you look. However, it will vary a bit city to city as some have mentioned. Like many larger metropolitan areas you'll have places with a mixture, then some which are predominantly Asian, Hispanic, Black, Caucasian, etc...

Cities like Long beach which are so large you have everything from higher end neighborhoods and associated prices to literal ghettos where you do not even want to walk around especially at night. Some parts are good for families while others parts are really not at all. Because of the fact that LA and OC have millions of people, sometimes in a relatively small geographic area, just crossing a certain street can change everything (e.g. other side of the tracks). So, its a real buyer beware market and as such not one to be taken lightly or from a distance. I always recommend renting/leasing first to people who are new to the state. There are so many other variables when compared to other places that it will take significant time and research to determine a best long term fit for your family.

Typically, under 400K in the more desirable coastal areas for families (e.g. safe, good schools) is unheard of. Hence the advice to look inland. As the most populous state and region in the nation, RE prices are much higher than most other states. So there are trade offs that must be considered based upon highest priorities. You won't find low prices with all those other things unless you move to places inland which may be a bit more removed from entertainment, etc... like Temecula. So, you either increase your housing budget or make other concessions. Or pick a less crowded part of the state to live in.

Also keep in mind Weather. This SoCal region is the land of micro climates where temps can range 40+ degrees within 30 miles. The coast can be in the 70s and it will be in the 100s inland, for example, where it is more affordable (Inland Empire). Even 10 miles makes a difference.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-02-2016 at 11:59 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 09:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think the key beyond affordability is diversity as in many races and cultures. The LA area in general is very good for that depending on where you look. However, it will vary a bit city to city as some have mentioned. Like many larger metropolitan areas you'll have places with a mixture, then some which are predominantly Asian, Hispanic, Black, Caucasian, etc...

Cities like Long beach which are so large you have everything from higher end neighborhoods and associated prices to literal ghettos where you do not even want to walk around especially at night. Some parts are good for families while others parts are really not at all. Because of the fact that LA and OC have millions of people, sometimes in a relatively small geographic area, just crossing a certain street can change everything (e.g. other side of the tracks). So, its a real buyer beware market and as such not one to be taken lightly or from a distance. I always recommend renting/leasing first to people who are new to the state. There are so many other variables when compared to other places that it will take significant time and research to determine a best long term fit for your family.

Typically, under 400K in the more desirable coastal areas for families (e.g. safe, good schools) is unheard of. Hence the advice to look inland. As the most populous state and region in the nation, RE prices are much higher than most other states. So there are trade offs that must be considered based upon highest priorities. You won't find low prices with all those other things unless you move to places inland which may be a bit more removed from entertainment, etc... like Temecula. So, you either increase your housing budget or make other concessions. Or pick a less crowded part of the state to live in.

Also keep in mind Weather. This SoCal region is the land of micro climates where temps can range 40+ degrees within 30 miles. The coast can be in the 70s and it will be in the 100s inland, for example, where it is more affordable (Inland Empire). Even 10 miles makes a difference.

Derek
You can buy a home for $300k in Hawaiian Gardens, but then again, not safe with good schools. Just saying you can find under $400k without having to go out to Highlands or Mentone

Old 11-03-2016, 10:23 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You can buy a home for $300k in Hawaiian Gardens, but then again, not safe with good schools. Just saying you can find under $400k without having to go out to Highlands or Mentone
Possibly. However, it doesn't really matter if it doesn't provide what they are looking for - a safe place that's good for young families which includes good schools. You could check out many places in and around LA with lousy schools and higher gang and crime activity, etc... There may even be some fringe areas which some would be ok with such as Downey. But even then prices go up and its still not very great. In many of those East LA towns you have higher gang activity and issues to deal with that an outsider wouldn't be prepared to navigate or even understand - bad side of the tracks all over the place, etc... I used to work out there and wouldn't move my kids into those areas. But if you're retired, don't have kids and don't go out much it may be ok for some. Plus, those older, lower cost, cheaply built, little houses all crammed together are not what many would want to spend their hard earned $ on. I used to work in RE and saw lots of them, many had bootleged additions with multiple families living in a tiny place including the garage.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-03-2016 at 10:53 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 08:03 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Possibly. However, it doesn't really matter if it doesn't provide what they are looking for - a safe place that's good for young families which includes good schools. You could check out many places in and around LA with lousy schools and higher gang and crime activity, etc... There may even be some fringe areas which some would be ok with such as Downey. But even then prices go up and its still not very great. In many of those East LA towns you have higher gang activity and issues to deal with that an outsider wouldn't be prepared to navigate or even understand - bad side of the tracks all over the place, etc... I used to work out there and wouldn't move my kids into those areas. But if you're retired, don't have kids and don't go out much it may be ok for some. Plus, those older, lower cost, cheaply built, little houses all crammed together are not what many would want to spend their hard earned $ on. I used to work in RE and saw lots of them, many had bootleged additions with multiple families living in a tiny place including the garage.

Derek
Understood, though I would live in Downey or Lakewood, prob not Hawaiian Gardens though

Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM

642 posts, read 2,552,126 times
I live in Whittier now and looking at house prices. It is lower right now of course and 400,000 will not get you what you want unless you can really fix up a house. I like the area its not too bad crime wise and people seem friendly enough. If you spent a little more like 450,000 then you would be more in the range right now where you could get what you are looking for. But that is at the low end of most of the houses. They are generally 475000 and upwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California