Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:06 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

Would some pros and cons be for each area?

I know SLO has a major university, but then Monterey is closer to a major city.

What is the arts scene like in both?

Dining scene for both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 07:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Depends on what you want. Being closer to major city is something I would not care about. What do you want in weather? Coastal climate is something I was raised in and I do not care for the foggy summers. College town has its pluses and minuses. Monterey is a wonderful place and quite expensive. You get what you pay for. Dining and Art yes to both. My suggestion is to visit both and see which you prefer.

No one can tell you which is a fit for you. I can tell you what is a fit for me. And that is why I live in the Sierra!

Old 03-21-2016, 10:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
For living, I'd prefer to be closer to the big city, so I'd choose Monterey. I live now where going to do any big-city stuff is not an option, and I really miss that. Alot.

I only used to do big city stuff about once a month, but being able to do that gave my life more balance. If your only option is R&R, or small town recreation, and you might miss being able to do more, you'll feel too isolated - no matter how beautiful it is. At least that's my experience up here where it's gorgeous and peaceful. But, I really miss my once a month excursions to go see a Broadway show, etc.

I'm actually going to go see a big show in Redding for my birthday. But, to do so, I have to drive 5 hours each way, and pay for a motel. It really limits how often I do it.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

I know SLO has a major university, but then Monterey is closer to a major city.
Monterey does have its own Cal State, just like SLO. Cal State Monterey Bay. So, there is that.

To me, the Monterey area is a little more tourist-centric than San Luis Obispo, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A strong tourist economy often means more restaurants, things to do, and special events throughout the year. The Monterey and Carmel areas also seem to have a ton of arts and performing arts events and galleries; they have a very nice art museum too.

But, I like San Luis Obispo's small town feel too and could live there happily, even if it might feel a bit isolated at times. But your mileage may vary. Why not visit each for a week and see where you feel most comfortable? While there, give the local arts council (both counties have them, just google) a call and ask about the local arts scene -- classes, galleries, special events, and the number of artists in your general age group in the local area. You can tell a lot more about whether a place is a comfortable fit for you with boots on the ground.

You might also want to compare home prices and rental prices if you are on a budget.

Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-21-2016 at 11:36 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 12:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
SLO county is a huge tourist area too, so I dont think theres much difference. Cal Poly obviously the better and larger university. Id give the nod to SLO for downtown areas. Slo county for wineries and beaches, although I love Monterey Bay and Carmel Beach. Del Monte Forest is fantastic, Cambria in slo county gives you a flavor of that. Golf goes to Monterey of course.

Of course you live in SLO county and Im sure you're familiar with Monterey, so Im not sure why you started the thread??

Old 03-22-2016, 12:58 AM

It may just come down to one is closer to a bigger city than the other. i really can't think of many things SLO has over Monterey other than college sports, but in monterey, if you want a real sports game u go to san jose or san fran.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
It may just come down to one is closer to a bigger city than the other. i really can't think of many things SLO has over Monterey other than college sports, but in monterey, if you want a real sports game u go to san jose or san fran.

Monterey is closer, but SLO isnt that far......3 hrs to LA.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Monterey is closer, but SLO isnt that far......3 hrs to LA.
3 hrs is not close lol. 1 hr is close.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:23 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
3 hrs is not close lol. 1 hr is close.
Yep, and it takes a lot longer to get from monterey to sf than 1 hour as well...

Old 03-22-2016, 03:27 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
And there's also Santa Cruz county which i would say has a more active / vibrant art scene.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ruz+county+ca+

S.C. is roughly 2 hours to S.F. (depending on route and traffic) and 35 - 40 minutes to San Jose (when not during commuter times and depending on where in SF and SJ).
And Seaside isn't the best place to live in Monterey county btw.
If you're not interested in S.C. county and can afford it, Monterey, Pacific Grove or Carmel would be better. Much.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...nterey+county+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California