Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 AM

489 posts, read 1,914,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I'm a Californian with no basement, but came from south Dakota, where we had a basement. One room in the basement was where the coal was stored. It had one window high up, where the coal truck would back up and dump it's load down a chute. The next room was the boiler and the fruit storage and the laundry room.
The coal furnace was replaced with oil around 1945, the fruit storage was long since emptied because canning is a lost art.
I also remember basement houses. They were just the basement, with the foundation raising maybe 3 feet above ground. The floor joices and flooor were then installed, which was then covered with tarpaper, then tar. The only thing that stuck above foundation level was an entry door. Open the door and there were stairs leading down to the living quarters.
If you were lucky, and saved your money, you would someday be able to finish the house above. That sometimes took many years. I left that area in the mid 50's, so I have no idea if basement houses still exist. Good question. I'll check on it.....
Many of the larger towns and cities in the Dakotas made laws around that time period (the 50's) stating that home owners must either complete the main floor of their home or build a standard roof on top of their basement. I know of only one house in Bismarck ND that chose to only add the roof, which as you could imagine looked quite interesting!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:44 AM

62 posts, read 376,876 times
STORAGE?? in the GARAGE... arghhhhhh 3 car garages are really only TWO car.. :P didn't even know what a basement was til I was grown... no wait.. there was a deep dark basement in the drugstore where my mom worked... OLD AND CREEPY AND DARK... I had nightmares... LOL

our realtor in WA laughs at me when we look at houses up there.. cause the first thing I wanna check out is the basement!! LOL he was shocked that CA homes had no basements... when we move a basement is a must!! can't wait... finished with a walkout preferred.. *big grin*.....

Old 02-26-2008, 03:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
Yeah, it's for real. Why be like that? I bet there's alot of stuff you don't know that i do know and take for granted.
And weren't basements originally for the farmers in New England and used as root cellars?
But what do i know? i'm just a girl ... we don't often know stuff like this
Hi Ms. Ruby,
Here in Tennessee most root cellars are seperate from the house/basement. They are used for both food storage [because here in the south canning/preserving isnt a lost art] and as protection from tornados. Its quite convenient to have food stored in a place where you may be stuck for a while!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Is it because of earthquakes or something?? Where the hell do you store all your 'stuff'??
we dont have cold or tornados.

attic, shed, and garage in that order

Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,108 times
Oh, o.k. - interesting. Thanks. Tennessee. huh. I just assumed you lived in California. I drove through Tennessee once. It was beautiful but it felt haunted to me .... maybe too many bad stories about the south in my head. I don't mean to be insulting. Just all that heavy history .... course there's "bad" history everywhere. sigh.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 PM

393 posts, read 1,496,908 times
Keeping cars in a garage? What an odd idea!! I've lived in California for most of my life, and we've never ever kept a car in the garage. Even now, walking around the neighborhood, the cars (and we have to have AT LEAST two per house!) are all parked in the driveways and in the streets. The garage doors that are open show they're all full of stuff. None of the houses I've lived in, in California, have had basements.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 PM

15 posts, read 84,349 times
Arrow Basements- a luxury

I too came from South Dakota. When we moved to Austin, TX I was astounded that there were no basements. The realtor told me that the origin of basements was for areas that had coal furnaces where coal was shoveled down to the furnace from above.
Another good thing about basements is they offer protection from tornadoes, which are more scary and likely to occur than earthquakes.
Finished basements add a lot of nice living area to a home. Sloping lots with walk out basements increase a homes' value considerably.
I think another reason why it has not been a tradition to dig basements in the south is the type of soils and rock that were to hard to dig as easily as the good dirt of the midwest and northeast.
One reason you need to be wary of basements is that radon sickness in the midwest is a real concern, one that requires a radon inspection for all homes sold there. Radon is a cancer causing agent that comes from the soil and is especially dangerous for anyone who spends alot of time in a basement bedroom or family room.
Now that I live in CA, I HATE the fact that Californians have so much JUNK that they can't park their cars in their garages. The neighborhoods are so ugly with cars all parked outside and on the streets!
Get some storage organizers, install overhead shelving and GET RID of your junk so cars can park where they are meant to be parked! If you have too much stuff you can't fit it all in your home, you don't need it. JMHO

Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,103 times
I hate clutter. I can't understand why ANYONE would want a garage or a basement FULL of junk. I'm a minimalist.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:27 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
just pick a neighborhood with an HOA or city that regulates it then

cerritos doesnt allow anyone to park on the streets overnight in neighborhoods. ive heard people complain of hoas that dont even let you leave a vehicle in your driveway overnight, but ive yet to see one in specific

Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I hate clutter. I can't understand why ANYONE would want a garage or a basement FULL of junk. I'm a minimalist.
To store interesting things. (I am a collector.)
Unfortunately, for some reason we can't post scans of copyrighted items, but I have a Sears catalog from 1975 and a Disneyland brochure from 1958. To name just two out of many others. I scanned them on my computer, I would post them if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California