Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:09 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So the guy behind this "CalExit" BS, Louis Marinelli, is an out of state transplant from Buffalo, New York! Is anyone else actually surprised by that? I know I'm not which is why I looked it up. It would be interesting to see how many people who support this are even native Californians. Out of state transplants leading the way to secede a state from the union that they are not even originally from....... comical to say the least.
Why is it comical? What does being born someplace have to do with contribution to community, citizenship behaviors, and other markers of character? Shouldn't the benchmark be along lines of values, not simply birth? Why give a California-born douche slacker priority over say a firefighter who grew up in Timbuktu and moved here when he was in high school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 03:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why is it comical? What does being born someplace have to do with contribution to community, citizenship behaviors, and other markers of character? Shouldn't the benchmark be along lines of values, not simply birth? Why give a California-born douche slacker priority over say a firefighter who grew up in Timbuktu and moved here when he was in high school?
What about CA natives who aren't slackers and have contributed immensely who may have an issue with a transplant defining CA as whatever he believes it to be? Why do they only get to define CA?

Old 11-16-2016, 03:19 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
It's comical because this state attracts certain types of people because of the stereotypes and what people think it's all about. And now many of them want to try and get CA to secede based some of those perceived "CA values" or whatever. It's ridiculous.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What about CA natives who aren't slackers and have contributed immensely who may have an issue with a transplant defining CA as whatever he believes it to be? Why do they only get to define CA?
What about them? And who said anything about anyone "defining" California - and particularly, who suggested only outsiders would get to do any defining? Where'd you get any of that?

I proposed maybe the benchmark for California's citizenship would be better defined by character traits than simply birth. (I feel the same about U.S. citizenship.) Anyone who lives in California in a responsible, contributory way is preferable to many of questionable character who were lucky enough to have been born here.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
It's comical because this state attracts certain types of people because of the stereotypes and what people think it's all about. And now many of them want to try and get CA to secede based some of those perceived "CA values" or whatever. It's ridiculous.
I see. Okay, I guess, sorta. Does seem to me that you are stereotyping outsiders pretty broadly yourself though. Uncle Sam sent me here over 50 years ago. I served a military career and a civilian career as a self-employed print shop owner, participating in the state's economy for over 40 years before retiring. So there's an example that falls outside your stereotyping and I don't think my story is particularly unique.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I see. Okay, I guess, sorta. Does seem to me that you are stereotyping outsiders pretty broadly yourself though. Uncle Sam sent me here over 50 years ago. I served a military career and a civilian career as a self-employed print shop owner, participating in the state's economy for over 40 years before retiring. So there's an example that falls outside your stereotyping and I don't think my story is particularly unique.
Ok and? Not sure how else to talk about millions of people without talking pretty broadly. Being born in a certain place generally does automatically give you citizenship rights pretty much everywhere as far as I know, with some exceptions I'm sure, why should CA being any different?

Old 11-16-2016, 03:35 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Tulemutt I second sav858s sentiment here. It has a lot to with this. The state does attract a certain type that are attracted to the stereotype of CA and they proceed to define CA based on these stereotypes. What's worse is some tend to act superior and begin acting as though they're CA representatives defining "CA values". Sometimes they can be a bit exclusionary.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Ok and? Not sure how else to talk about millions of people without talking pretty broadly. Being born in a certain place generally does automatically give you citizenship rights pretty much everywhere as far as I know, with some exceptions I'm sure, why should CA being any different?
That general rule doesn't make it "comical" that other residents might feel they also belong, is my point. I've been here longer than most of you reading this have been alive. And contributing to the state you call home with your sense of entitlement. There are probably 10 millions of me who aren't airhead newcomers.

I'm not offended by your comment. I am curious why anyone would think birthplace somehow defines a value. As I said, I feel the same about U.S. citizenship. I don't agree that being born American means squat. How you live your life here does. I favor voluntary community / civic service of some kind and ongoing contribution of effort to qualify for, and maintain citizenship.

I'll take 10 Jose's over one Donald any day.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Tulemutt I second sav858s sentiment here. It has a lot to with this. The state does attract a certain type that are attracted to the stereotype of CA and they proceed to define CA based on these stereotypes. What's worse is some tend to act superior and begin acting as though they're CA representatives defining "CA values". Sometimes they can be a bit exclusionary.
I don't know that your perception can be validated outside of gut feeling. I suspect the kind of shallowness you are describing is no more than a common human trait everywhere.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
That general rule doesn't make it "comical" that other residents might feel they also belong, is my point. I've been here longer than most of you reading this have been alive. And contributing to the state you call home with your sense of entitlement. There are probably 10 millions of me who aren't airhead newcomers.

I'm not offended by your comment. I am curious why anyone would think birthplace somehow defines a value. As I said, I feel the same about U.S. citizenship. I don't agree that being born American means squat. How you live your life here does. I favor voluntary community / civic service of some kind and ongoing contribution of effort to qualify for, and maintain citizenship.
I explained what was "comical" about all of this and birthright citizenship wasn't really part of that explanation.

I never said anything about being born somewhere defining one's value. What you're talking about is a rather scary slippery slope too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California